• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane ASM # 300 Cover Sold Privately

54 posts in this topic

Looking for New Mutants Liefeld covers

Why? ???

Because some of the covers have McFarlane inks, like NM 87.

I think he was slamming Liefeld. :gossip:

Liefeld had the best fall from grace, no doubt, but in a nostalgia hobby the early 90s will rule once again, with Liefeld, McFarlane, and Lee being remembered as the three kings.

McFarlane-less Liefeld covers are also fetching decent prices on their own these days. $18k:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotNo=93066

and I'll second the notion that I'm looking for Liefeld covers and interiors too! Let the haters sell:)

Back to ASM300, given the recent sale of Spider-Man 1 does ASM300 come in above or below? It seems to me like these are probably, along with maybe Hulk 340, the 3 best McFarlane covers out there(not most expensive).

I'm inclined to think the SM1 wins out because it's iconic AND it's the fully realized McFarlane style, whereas the 300 is "merely" iconic and his younger style(although it does have the black costume).

Thoughts?

well who knows what's best, that's so subjective, but I do think the 300 is very desirable. If I am parking value at the door, my favorites are hulk 340 and asm 316.

ASM 300 for me, would be in the next cut just below that. Again, this is just "Dan's personal favorites" not necessarily the most expensive or best. Doesn't hurt that ASM 300 was the first ASM I ever picked up off the stands (I wasn't into non-ditko spidey before that) or that its venom's 1st full app (even if not on cover).

Back to ASM300, given the recent sale of Spider-Man 1 does ASM300 come in above or below? It seems to me like these are probably, along with maybe Hulk 340, the 3 best McFarlane covers out there(not most expensive).

ASM 300 may be the most key book out of the three, but it is not in the same ballpark as the other two covers in terms of the OA.

^ well we would have said that about asm 328 not long ago too. I think its a tough one to predict because there must be more than a few fanboys with a special place in their heart for the asm 300 book and cover

I think the partial-stat aspect is already reflected in the price it sold for a couple years back.

If Todd had drawn, say a standard cityscape behind Spidey, the 300 cover OA (with its big Spidey in that classic pose combined with the significance of the issue) would be viewed as one of the 3 or 4 best/most important things he ever drew.

I think the partial-stat aspect is already reflected in the price it sold for a couple years back.

If Todd had drawn, say a standard cityscape behind Spidey, the 300 cover OA (with its big Spidey in that classic pose combined with the significance of the issue) would be viewed as one of the 3 or 4 best/most important things he ever drew.

Exactly. Because the background is stat, there is no way this OA is going to be considered above ASM #312, 316 or 328, let alone McSpidey #1 or Hulk #340. With a drawn background, it would be a totally different story.

Exactly. Because the background is stat, there is no way this OA is going to be considered above ASM #312, 316 or 328, let alone McSpidey #1 or Hulk #340. With a drawn background, it would be a totally different story.

My understanding is that the main Spidey figure is copied from the 301 cover (that was drawn first), and then essentially just colored in. IMO, this would make it even less desirable. Sort of a "paint by numbers" cover. Can anyone confirm this?

My understanding is that the main Spidey figure is copied from the 301 cover (that was drawn first), and then essentially just colored in. IMO, this would make it even less desirable. Sort of a "paint by numbers" cover. Can anyone confirm this?

100% false I spoke with Todd in regards to this when it was first put out there that he drew the 301 before the 300 .He confirmed that the 300 was drawn prior to the 301.

I never cared for 312 but I see why some would like it. When it comes to that book, I prefer the back cover :headbang:

100% false I spoke with Todd in regards to this when it was first put out there that he drew the 301 before the 300 .He confirmed that the 300 was drawn prior to the 301.

Where did this false rumor of 301 before 300 get started in the first place?

I agree with this completely. The Spider-Man image on 300 is great, but it is unfortunate that the rest of cover is almost entirely stat. The fact that it is mostly stat, from an OA perspective, would knock it off my list of top McFarlane covers.

I agree with this completely. The Spider-Man image on 300 is great, but it is unfortunate that the rest of cover is almost entirely stat. The fact that it is mostly stat, from an OA perspective, would knock it off my list of top McFarlane covers.

The fact that most of the image is covered in small 300's doesn't help either. doh!