• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've Been Blind this Whole Time?

40 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I've been a comic collector for over 25 years and just joined CGC and these boards last week. I want to preserve some of my books and figured to dive in after a few years of lurking. Anyways, while I've been waiting for the free submission coupon and welcoming packet I decided to buy a few slabs to better gauge the CGC grading process. They were graded 9.4 and from the Copper Age.

I've never owned a CGC book. Never held one. I got the books today and was completely shocked. These books were almost flawless and probably beat or rival any of my originally owned books from the same time period that I thought would grade higher. These are 9.4's?!?! I can't imagine a 9.6 or higher.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant. This experience just totally changes my view on how I rate "high grade" books. Gotta develop a better eye, and, most importantly, I am perfectly alright with a 9.4. These are beautiful, beautiful books and cost a lot less than higher graded books. I don't understand why some members frown on these. lol

BTW, it's totally true. Once you get a CGC book you're hooked. Can't wait to do my first submission and I'm already searching ebay for some new books.

PS-Is there anywhere in print that states the CGC criteria for grading? Is see alot of opinions but nothing stated as fact. Thanks in advance.

I remember my first one....FF 73 CGC 8.0. It was easily a 9.0 or better but had, according to CGC, a small amount of writing on page 14..... for 50 bucks. One thing about slabs, the shine of the case hides the more subtle defects and if you took the book out, you would see more. I've taken quite a few out over the years and find that their grading is actually superb. I very rarely will buy a "raw" unslabbed book through the mail anymore, even if I fully intend to remove it. If you're spending over 200 bucks for a book, it's invaluable. Their resto check is almost flawless. Welcome to the club. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

These are 9.4's?!?! I can't imagine a 9.6 or higher.

I am perfectly alright with a 9.4. These are beautiful, beautiful books and cost a lot less than higher graded books. I don't understand why some members frown on these. lol

9.4's are indeed, beautiful books! Welcome to the club! :)

One thing about slabs, the shine of the case hides the more subtle defects and if you took the book out, you would see more.

Very good point. That never occurred to me. So if there is a defect on the inside of the book (writing, centerfold/page/ad missing, staining) would it be mentioned on the label?

.....not always, but you can call the toll free number on the back and ask for any grader's notes associated with the serial number. The slabbed book was a fabulous idea at a time when over grading was rampant. My hat's off to them....it's nice to be able to order a near mint book and not receive a very fine......not saying that there aren't some dealers who grade raw books fairly. GOD BLESS...

Welcome to the boards Steven.

Spend some time in the grading forum, post a few for grading

and grade some other boardies books

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&PHPSESSID=

and watch for grading contests on the boards, Nik's and NostalgicAttic's

contests are free and a great way to practice your grading.

Anyways, while I've been waiting for the free submission coupon and welcoming packet I decided....

The coupons aren't free, they cost you $36 apiece. Just so you know, you don't have to join any club or pay any membership fee to submit books to CGC. Anyone can do it for free, and you can even get a 10% discount.

Thanks torch! It's good to be here and I've been devouring the grading forum all day and those grading contests sound pretty cool. I'll definately look out for those.

yoink, are you referring to the shipping costs or the up front membership cost?

yoink, are you referring to the shipping costs or the up front membership cost?

The up-front membership costs. Was it 3 "free" coupons for $109? That's a good deal if you've got high grade GA/SA to submit, not so good if they're Moderns. Just wanted to mention that you did NOT have to buy this membership to be able to submit comics to CGC.

Yep, it is $109 annually. I figured it was a good deal since I was planning on doing a submission anyways and having the Census and Registry available to read was a big plus to me. Now please don't tell me those are free to access. lol

Yep, it is $109 annually. I figured it was a good deal since I was planning on doing a submission anyways and having the Census and Registry available to read was a big plus to me. Now please don't tell me those are free to access. lol

Free? No, you have to paypal everyone who posted in this thread $5. :D

Free? No, you have to paypal everyone who posted in this thread $5. :D

I knew I shouldn't have deleted mine. :pullhair:

Yup, those are free for anyone to use. So is access to grading notes, and the 10% discount is also free. I swear CGC makes it intentionally confusing, you're not the only one to pay first and find out later. If all you have is Moderns to submit, I'd ask for my money back.

Unless I am wrong, isn't another benefit of a paid membership the ability to check online and see the status of your submission?

Yea, that's like, the only benefit. That, and you can verify a slab's serial # to see when it was graded.

They are... :(