• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Restored Comics?

10 posts in this topic

WTTB's.....

It really depends on the book and the degree of resto. Certain high demand rare books can come close to full price. It really would require more sales data at this point. I know I would LOVE to find a SP 6.5 (white) copy of Action 101 for half guide, while the same amount of resto on a Batman 39....I wouldn't want it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I remember a push for a standard valuation scale for restored comics as being equal to original grade value + the amount spent on restoration. For example, if the book was originally a VG valued at $1000 and is now an apparent VF with $500 worth of restoration, the value would still only be $1500, even if an unrestored VF was worth $10,000.

But...

In reality I have to agree comment above - it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I've seen final sales prices all over the place.

Good luck.

Hi everyone. Is there any industry accepted calculation to determine the value of a CGC graded restored comic?

The ciorac accepted calculations are as follows:

Extensive = 20-25% of apparent grade guide value

Moderate = 30-35% of apparent grade guide value

Slight = 40-45% of apparent grade guide value

Certain books fall outside of this for sure, but this is the range I calculate values with when buying or selling

It all depends on why you are buying the restored book.

Just keep in mind the general rules of economics for restored books:

The more restoration, the less the book is worth to the average person.

The more common the book, the less the restored book is worth to the average person.

The worse the quality of the resto job, the less the book is worth to the average person.

All in all though, I personally think restored books are terrific for collectors and I have owned many with pride.

(thumbs u

Hi - along with your comments, and thanks again, I'm looking at a copy of Western Killers #nn which has been CGC restored graded, "VF-7.5 Slight (A). Restoration includes small amounts of color touch on cover." I bought this book raw some years back off ebay, had it graded, and it came back with the above grade. What I'm thinking is, with these restored books, it might be interesting to have a pre-restoration grade assigned by CGC as well as the post-restoration grade. Along with the description of the types of restoration, this would indicate the overall change in the book due to the restoration. Just a thought.

-crimewave

Hi - along with your comments, and thanks again, I'm looking at a copy of Western Killers #nn which has been CGC restored graded, "VF-7.5 Slight (A). Restoration includes small amounts of color touch on cover." I bought this book raw some years back off ebay, had it graded, and it came back with the above grade. What I'm thinking is, with these restored books, it might be interesting to have a pre-restoration grade assigned by CGC as well as the post-restoration grade. Along with the description of the types of restoration, this would indicate the overall change in the book due to the restoration. Just a thought.

-crimewave

Yeah, that would be useful...but I'm sure it would be something that CGC would deem worthy of a price hike.