• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

journeyintomystery-3.jpg

Anyone know where the word shambler comes from? There's no formal dictionary entry, but it is often referenced as a 'doom' type, horrific monster.

I always seem to equate that shambler from the stars, with shambler from the sea in the doctor strange (marvel premiere) series.

I have absolutely no backup for this, but I believe that is a name picked up from the stories of HP Lovecraft. I have read a little Lovecraft, but I also think that there was a reference to the story "Shambler from the Stars" in the 1st edition of the Deities and Demigods manual, before Lovecraft's estate made them take all that stuff out.

journeyintomystery-3.jpg

Anyone know where the word shambler comes from? There's no formal dictionary entry, but it is often referenced as a 'doom' type, horrific monster.

I always seem to equate that shambler from the stars, with shambler from the sea in the doctor strange (marvel premiere) series.

A star vampire (or Shambler from the Stars) is a fictional monster in the Cthulhu Mythos. The being first appeared in Robert Bloch's short story "The Shambler from the Stars", which was originally published in the September 1935 issue of Weird Tales.

Summary

It was red and dripping; an immensity of pulsing, moving jelly; a scarlet blob with myriad tentacular trunks that waved and waved. There were suckers on the tips of the appendages, and these were opening and closing with a ghoulish lust.... The thing was bloated and obscene; a headless, faceless, eyeless bulk with the ravenous maw and titanic talons of a star-born monster. The human blood on which it had fed revealed the hitherto invisible outlines of the feaster.

—Robert Bloch, "The Shambler from the Stars"

The star vampire dwells in outer space and is characterized by its ravenous appetite for blood. The creature uses its enormous talons to capture its prey, grappling and crushing the unfortunate and then draining the victim's blood through its tubular suckers. It is normally invisible, but following a sanguine repast, the star vampire becomes temporarily visible from the undigested blood it has absorbed.

The monster is always accompanied by a sardonic, preternatural titter which heralds its imminent arrival and marks its presence, even when it is invisible. After it has fed, the star vampire quickly departs, the eerie, ghastly laughter following in its wake. The occult book De Vermis Mysteriis (or Mysteries of the Worm) contains a spell for summoning the creature; though doing so is often dangerous, as the thirsty star vampire is likely to feast on its caller.

Very interesting! Thanks for the replies.

I guess Stan and many comic writers must have read some Lovecraft in their time.

The themes are readily evident in a lot of dr. strange milieu as well.

Glad I could be of assistance, and I learned something new today.

Guys and Girls,

I have many horror slabs I either have duplicates of or are in 9.2 condition. I am thinking od posting them in the FS section but would like to give the horror collectors a chance to PM me first.

I have titles such as

Weird Wonder Tales

Supernatural Thrillers

Creatures on The Loose

Where Monsters Dwell

OK, so someone Bin'd my $5k price on my House of Mystery #174 CGC 9.6 book....but I don't have another one. What say you?

Congrats. Just think how long that 179 sat there with no bites (even lowering) at 5k.

Shows how much collectors abhor miswrap for deep dollars, IMO.

Take the money and run!! :banana:

:o Hard decision for me. I have pondered putting some of my big books for sale but I am terrified that someone might buy them.

I am no help in this case.... lol

That's my problem as well. :eek:

Maybe I can use the justification that I want to wait for a 9.8... :shrug:

:o Hard decision for me. I have pondered putting some of my big books for sale but I am terrified that someone might buy them.

I am no help in this case.... lol

That's my problem as well. :eek:

Maybe I can use the justification that I want to wait for a 9.8... :shrug:

I think if you can roll the money into some quality books you could feel okay, but just to stash it away?? I know how I would feel the first time I saw my Strange Adventures 207 CGC 9.8 Pacific Coast being posted by someone else!!! :mad:

Nice CATCH!!!!! You would think that House of Mystery 174 CGC NM+ was a double cover or something.. I guess someone didn't do their homework because this book has several in the CGC Census. Mabie the kids got on the computer again??? The prices on many DC Horror books are going through the roof, but it's good to see more & more people getting their books slabbed. DC Horror is definately a title to hang on to....

who has the HoS 81 CGC 9.4 for $9,000.0 on CLink????
:whistle:

If a COD #1 9.8 and Ghosts #1 9.6 can go for multi-thou, may as well play the lottery.

(thumbs u It (i.e., $$$$) has worked for me with a few "no longer my highest grade" or "I don't wish to own this book any longer" Neal cover art, etc., books, horror and otherwise. In several cases I have been very pleasantly surprised by the amount someone was willing to pay for the book.