• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Well lookie here--Shade "The Gentleman Ghost" is here in an issue of BatMan #319 published in Jan 1980. Does anyone know when he first appeared in Ghosts, or when his "first" appearance was?

Flash Comics? confused.gif

Flash 88? confused.gif

What the heck is that? GA? Is Shade really that old of a character 893whatthe.gif

Flash Comics #88 is correct.

606748-flash88.jpg

His first SA appearance is Atom and Hawkman #43. Is the character in Flash #88 and the Atom the same?

Jim

It gets a little more complicated unfortunately.

There was a Golden Age Hawkman villain called simply The Ghost. His origin was never revealed, and it was meant to be ambiguous whether he was really a ghost or not. A very young Joe Kubert drew all his appearances. And The Ghost was unrelated to Flash (?) villain The Shade.

Then in the Silver Age, writer Bob Kanigher revived the concept in the Atom & Hawkman split book from the late 1960s. This time Murphy Anderson drew the character (behind the outstanding Kubert covers, below), and they called him the Gentleman Ghost, and gave him an origin that explicitly acknowledged him as a ghost. But he looked identical to his Golden Age counterpart. So you could say the Ghost was the Earth 2 character, the Gentleman Ghost was the Earth 1 counterpart.

1847_4_43.jpg1847_4_44.jpg

It was the Gentleman Ghost that crossed over into a couple of Batman issues in the early 1980s (both having Joe Kubert covers as I recall, a nice nod to the visual father of the character).

141_4_0000310.jpg

Now... what I don't know is how/when/if this character became the host of the DC horror comic Ghosts. I first noticed him in one of the Ghosts digest reprints, where they paste him over the original appearances of Cain or Abel to introduce the stories. yeahok.gif

Was he called "Gentleman Ghost" in the Ghosts book? When did he start popping up over there?

EDIT: re-read the thread, I take it the version associated with the Ghosts book is called "Squire Shade?"

Edited by Zonker

Yeah gang, I don't think IMO that either Ghost or Gentleman Ghost are the same cat as Squire Shade. I think the editors just knew they had a cool looking character & said "this design would make another great horror host."

BTW - for you Weird War Tales fans- just saw a flick called DEATHWATCH last night that you may enjoy. It's about a group of lost Brit soldiers in WW 1 who stumble upon an occupied trench &... well. I won't give away any plot. The production values are very high, I was impressed. A little hard to understand the dialogue at times, and plot flow not always the best, but a good way for WWT fans to spend an evening with their favorite squeeze... popcorn.gif

Just going through some Misc. books and came across this one I thought would be appropriate for this thread. Sorry about the pic as I'm not at home with my scanner. Is this a cover swipe from a Golden/Silver age issue, anyone know?

Artists names are unfortunatly cut off at the bottom. confused.gif

606911-Charlton%20Bullseye%20%23%208.jpg

589a8c249e8bd_606911-CharltonBullseye8.jpg.3e2ce62702af296baa9c6fa28576fc54.jpg

Oh, and Ghosts #104 is the first issue with Squire Shade

Wow, almost the shortest stint of a host I've ever seen...

but then again...

Anyone remember the host of "Tales of Ghost Castle" from DC? Lasted 3 whole issues? Hey-you Charlton heads---educate this DC guy on the hosts/titles you would collect first. I'm almost ready to enter the market for those.

Oh, and Ghosts #104 is the first issue with Squire Shade

Wow, almost the shortest stint of a host I've ever seen...

but then again...

Anyone remember the host of "Tales of Ghost Castle" from DC? Lasted 3 whole issues? Hey-you Charlton heads---educate this DC guy on the hosts/titles you would collect first. I'm almost ready to enter the market for those.

This link was posted by metarog in the See my complete Bronze-Age 35 cent variant set! thread

Charlton/Modern Comics list

Winnie the Witch from Ghostly Haunts was the coolest and my fav! cloud9.gif

I was just sorting through my books (rebagging/reboxing) and I came upon this. I had totally forgotten having Wrightson sign this, but there it is cloud9.gif I always love it when I find something I didn't know I had cool.gif607109-wrightson.jpg

607109-wrightson.jpg.9edaf9a01b3c319a38bd036f25e06e57.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

This puppy was graded a little over a month ago; it's not reflected in the current census. Picked it up cheap ($80) as compared to 9.4 or higher ($200+). I'll consider this "filler" until I get a higher grade...

Of all places, Mile High Comics... 893applaud-thumb.gif

41060355406.224.CGC.9.2.gif

P.S. There's a 227 CGC 8.5 for $55 and 193 CGC 8.5 for $35 still there if anyone is interested...

I don't know if this is old material, but I got this in my e-mail today. We talked about this just recently but the words here have been echoed by tons of CGC board members cruising this thread. Enjoy.

" Above everything else, the demand for DC Horror comics of the 1968-1983 Era has risen exponentially. They have always sold decent & steadily, normally in the G thru FN ranges, but usually not in the "HOT" catagory. They have finally reached that status for us. The big difference is that the investors have started to buy them up in higher grades. As these are not usually found in CGC copies, realistic buyers have decided on wanting 1968-1972 in VF, with 1973-1976 in VF+ and want 1977-1983 copies in VF/NM or better. I have been raising my buy prices on these & have landed some nice copies. This produced more sales & yet more demand. Some of the 1968-1972 Era issues might explode in price by next summer. House of Secrets #81 and House of Mystery #174 are now viewed as major Key issues (akin to #1's), yet list at less than 1/3 the price of Weird War #1. They are quite scarce in high grades & will not surface on the market, at current low guide values. HOS #82-100 and HOM #175-200 are due for big price increases too, with greats like Adams, Wrightson, Toth & others. All the DC horror from any year with Wrightson Covers, stories & even single splash pages are by far the most requested issues.

Most unusual is the demand for 1977-1983 issues. It turms out most copies on the market are in VG to FN/VF, thus many are now looking for those difficult to find VF/NM or better copies. Many have told me their local shops do not even have mid grade copies in stock any more. 1977-1983 issues remain quite inexpensive, but might not in the coming years, if demand continues to climb.

All titles are selling, also including; Ghosts, Secrets of Haunted House, Secrets of Sinister House, Tales of Ghost Castle, Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion, Wird War, Weird Mystery, Witching Hour, etc. WEIRD WAR has been growing in demand, especially these issues, which can now be considered hot & are still very undervalued; #64 (Frank Miller's 1st work at DC), 68 (2nd Frank Miller), 93(1st app & Origin Creature Commandos), 94(1st Return of "War that Time Forgot"-c/s, with Dinosaurs) 100(Creature Commandos invade the War that Time Forgot), 101(1st app & Origin G.I. Robot-c/s, by Kanigher), 124(LAST issue; 6/1983); Also selling again is Doorway to Nightmare with Madame Xanadu & those great KALUTA covers. Look for the popular GHOSTS #97-99 with a SPECTRE story in each. "

Thanks for sharing that email, Sterling! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, Doug made similar comments in CBG last month and we briefly discussed it here, but it was nothing of this detail. I think the thing he was trying to drive home in CBG was that horror collectors have traditionally been readers and not speculators, happy with buying up the G to Fine copies. Only in the last couple years has there been a shift to an emphasis on HG BA material, in particular DC and Charlton.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Only in the last couple years has there been a shift to an emphasis on HG BA material, in particular DC and Charlton.

With that said, these are part of a group that arrived today... grin.gif

Got to love those Sutton covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Baron Weirwolf's Haunted Library #66

haunted66.jpg

Baron Weirwolf's Haunted Library #73

haunted73.jpg

Jim

Keith, great comments. Here's my thinking--I just want high grade examples--it's personally having nothing to do with speculation per se--except that I'd like to get out what I put in. I'm definitely not making a stand that these books will go for sky high money in the future. It would be nice, but that's not my motivation...

Great post Sterling. Like I have said (speculated) before, I know that these books really would take off in value, as they appear to be starting to now, if only more of the mainstream comic collectors and readers were aware of the quality of these books.

A year ago and farther I always just brushed off DC horror thinking they were just lame reprints (wrong assumption) and had nothing on the "superhero monsters" of Marvel books such as WBN and TOD. To me, Unexpected, HOS, HOM and so on were just readers at best. Of course I was naive at the time, I just never even paid attention. And I AM a huge horror fan. It really wasn't until early this year and hanging out on these boards that I gained my appreciation for these books. Now I am selling all my ASM and X-Men to buy more.

I only bring this up because I believe there are many, many more like me, like I was. The more press they get, the more "talk" is being talked, the more they will be noticed and others will get hooked as well. Thus, increasing values. Although prices are more than they were two years ago, they are nothing compared to where they'll be in five years from now. Remember, buy low, sell high. gossip.gif I've been buying. thumbsup2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifyay.gif -------Sid