• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Question for the collected horror-touched masses...

Won this Unexpected 159 during the last round of Vault Auctions:

unexpected159.jpg

Also contained in the mylar was a nifty certificate designating the comic as coming from the "Joe Kubert Collection". Now I've heard of the "Collection" before and always assumed all the comics with this designation contained Kubert art. I can't find where this one does.

Does this comic have Kubert art I can't find?

Should I burn the certificate on Holloween as a tribute?

Jim

I'm going from memory here, but I believe these were Joe's 'comp' copies from his years at DC, so they'll be any and all DCs, not just the ones he worked on. Also, for some reason I've only seen Bronze or newer books, so I don't know if the earlier books are locked away somewhere, or if Joe kept them for himself, or if the comp program didn't exist in the earlier days.

Just a little off-topic...I realize this post should probably be listed in the "Comic Events" section, but I really felt it was appropriate for the Infinate Horror post, so here goes...

I just returned from a small local con in Greensboro, NC. The show has been an annual event for the past 15 years or so. It's put on by the Parts Unknown comic store. This year the guest of honor was William Stout, who had on display some beautiful dinosaur art. Really awesome stuff!!!! There was not much high grade horror stuff there and I came away with about a dozen beautiful DC silverage books (Mystery In Space, Atom, Teen Titans and two gorgeous Showcase - the I-Spy issues #50-51).

Anyway, before I'm accussed of being WAAAY OT, the convention program had an advertisement for next year's show. Here is is...

611982-ad.jpg

611982-ad.jpg.149dfda25eac51c6b1e03e2925434f5e.jpg

It was a small con. Smaller than I thought it would be.There were only about 10 exhibitors. But, there was some nice books to be had. Like I said before, not much HG horror. My heart jumped when I saw a HOM #190 on the wall of one of the exhibitors, but it turned out to be VF- (at best), so I passed. There were a few other HOM books (195 comes to mind) but still not real high grade. Also saw a few PS and WWT that weren't too bad, but I had all of the ones offered, so, again I passed. This part is OT, but I also collect silver age books, so here's what i bought (all were really nice HG books with super gloss and white pages. They were from a recently purchased collection, and I bought them all from a terrific dealer that I've been buying from for years). Atom 13, 14, 16; Showcase 50 & 51; Mystery in Space 82, 84, 85, 88; Doom Patrol 93, 97, 101, 110; Teen Titans 19, 20, 21. Well, it looks like P,B & J sandwiches from a while, but it was worth it.

Wow! William Stout is a pretty nice guest to be pulling in for a con with only 10 exhibitors. I love his work, great artist, plus the dude is a true horror comic fan. Did you get to speak with him about horror comics?

I can't believe next year would be Kaluta & Wrightson! Unbelievable pull for such a small show! 893whatthe.gif

OT- but man, I really have such fond memories of going to comic cons in the Carolinas in the 80's when I'd be visiting my mom for the summer. In fact, my step dad got up early one morning and hauled our little cul de sac comic crew (there were 3 of us on the street into comics) from Charlotte to somewhere in South Carolina (Spartanburg? Can't recall) to a tiny show that sounds similar to the one you described. Anyway, it was the first time I had ever seen the Wrightson Swamp Thing books, and fell in love with that dark art style. Sadly, I was a kid who was essentially broke and focusing my limited funds on Conan, so it wouldn't be years before I picked up a Wrightson book. Sorry OT, but ah , the memories.... smile.gif

Yes. I talked with him for a few minutes about some of his work. To be honest with you, I wasn't too familiar with him (although I do own the Wizards poster that he did back in the 80s— does anyone remember that movie?) His stuff is really incredible!! Take a look here

I don't know how a con this small gets Wrightson and Kaluta. I didn't have a chance to talk with anyone about that because I didn't really look at the program until after I had left. Several of the exhibitors said that there are usually more dealers there (and named a few) but were unable to make it because of conflicts. To tell you the truth this is the first time I've been to that show myself, although I'm definately planning on going next year!!!!

By the way, here's part of the William Stout bio spread that was in the program...

612483-bio.jpg

612483-bio.jpg.96fce2810651917f85c37e0ca48ea894.jpg

To be honest with you, I wasn't too familiar with him (although I do own the Wizards poster that he did back in the 80s— does anyone remember that movie?)

Yes! I loved that as a kid. First bootleg video I ever bought at a con as well. I vaguely recall it raised some issues of debate not too long ago on these boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif