• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Oooh! Sorry Keith, I meant to tell you that... foreheadslap.gif

And norrin, Thats a Haunt of horror I never had! looks good!

I bought it for the Devil Hunter main story. It's a takeoff of the Exorcist (which was a phenomenon at the time). Nice cover art by Earl Norem.

Here's some info I just found...

Haunt Of Horror 2

And here's some art that Gene Colan did for another story...

Gene Colan HOH2 pages

622145-Demon.jpg.60083e4e7dc3517f15f923df9ff9c226.jpg

Edited by Norinn Radd

romitaman had this unpublished cover to Detective 481...

detective481cover.jpg

I like it MUCH better than the published version.

87_4_0481.jpg

I don't get it. That unpublished cover is SO much more dynamic, interesting whatever you want to call it. The final result is like a "5x5=" test to a mathmagician. What the heck were these "managers" thinking?

Can you imagine how much more popular and sought after that issue would be with the unpublished cover?

Did anyone see how fast those HOM CGC books on Metropolis went off the shelves? Thanks greggy for the tip--I now only need 226 in 9.4 or greater to have my HOM 100 pagers all accounted for!
893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What story was that unpubbed cover supposed to represent? I don't think it matches either of the ones that found their way into 'Tec 481?

Oh, and Pov, this was a consequence of the '79 "DC Implosion" when the money-men at Warners almost cancelled Detective Comics before somebody told them what DC Comics stood for. screwy.gif Instead, they merged Batman Family in with 'Tec, which is why the logo is the way it is.

Still, I gotta wonder if there is a missing inventory story somewhere to go with that cover?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What story was that unpubbed cover supposed to represent? I don't think it matches either of the ones that found their way into 'Tec 481?

It also doesn't feature a Hawkman story if the cover is correct...

Jim

Yeah, that's the thing: Because of the Implosion, the contents of Batman Family #21 were moved over to 'Tec, and BatFam was cancelled. The Marshall Rogers train story was originally planned for 'Tec, while the Starlin/Russell gorilla story was the BatFam one. I'd be willing to bet the Hawkman story originally planned for 'Tec eventually showed up in the back of one of those Worlds Finest dollar comics.

But I don't remember a story like the one shown on the unpublished cover ever showing up... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I met Stout, Wrightson & Kaluta at a show in Austin a few years back (along with Tim Bradstreet & the guy that does Hero Bear). All very cool people. Picked up this Stout sketch.

stout.jpg

Nice Stout sketch. I've picked up a few over the years. Some Kaluta too. Both are great guys.

Bill once let me use his name to call Bernie Wrightson on the phone to pitch a project. Bernie was very nice, though the pitch went nowhere. Unfortunately his original stuff is too high dollar for my wallet. Got a set of nice limited edition prints once that I have framed and hanging.

Heres a few I found whilst getting some ebay auctions together:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/dillmeister/chamber7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/dillmeister/midnight.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/dillmeister/monstersdwell.jpg

Chamber features Wrightsons first work at Marvel and he draws himself as a Cryptkeeper like host. If these don't come up perhaps one of the other members wiser in the ways of the attachment could put them up? thumbsup2.gif

Erm, well, that's just a list of titles. I was hoping for something more specific and related strictly to DCs, you know, with issue numbers, one-offs, specials, giants, etc.

Oh. try shiver's web site: shiverbones.com. You can always do a publisher search on mycomicshop.com; or any Overstreet confused-smiley-013.gif

hey gang. I need your help. I'm sick of looking for a strict NM copy of HOM 216-218, 220. I'm willing to pay handsomly for raw/CGC copies. Any leads/copies for sale most appreciated. I'd like to get these before Christmas. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah. Needs to go in marketplace. But I'm ignored there. I'm ignored here too, only less tongue.gif

hi.gif everyone.

Hey, I asked a while back, and Rip and UV answered the call. If anyone reading this thread likes HOM, please request a Registry set in the "The Official "Please add these sets" Thread" in the CGC Registry section of the boards. I'm really psyched because I hope to have the 174-321 set done by end of next year.

I mean, why should greggy have all the fun with his DC 100 Page set?

Thanks for any support. I'll go back to my crypt now.

Hey guys,

So, as many of you that I've talked to on here know, I'm mostly a pre-code horror guy, but I've been known to flit between 50s horror and high-grade 70s DC horror, when the mood hits me. Many of you, however, are far more knowledgeable of and experienced in this genre than me, so I'd like to pick your collective brain regarding the question of scarcity, if you don't mind the pickin'. (Visions of Paul's awesome Weird Mysteries comic are coming to mind... ) wink.gif

I gather that the general consensus among collectors and dealers is that high-grade bronze horror is a far scarcer commodity than superhero books from the same period, as the horror books were generally not saved with investment appeal in mind. So how tough are these books then, really? I mean, I see a good half-dozen new listings every week on ebay...that may not be a ton, but it's enough to indicate that there's a healthy supply. If there are collectors out there like myself who collect precode horror and bronze, how much tougher is it to find those 50s books than the 70s? I assume it's got to be tougher to get 50s books in grade, but how much harder is it? A helluva lot, or just a little (terribly scientific jargon, I know...reminds me of the "way more" debate a short while back, ha ha).

Also curious as to how accurate you all think the cgc census is in regard to high grade bronze. I would guess that there's loads of material out there in raw NM or better, simply because it's from the 70s and not the 50s....but I could be wrong. Am I?

Just hoping to get some advice before plunging into the chilling waters of bronze horror any further!

Also, about $$$....I'm getting from the ebay auctions I've tracked that the going rate for a slabbed DC bronze horror in 9.4 is 3x to 4x the OS 9.2 price. Would you guys say that's accurate. And how about for a 9.6? (Haven't seen as many of those on ebay lately to get a clear opinion).

And how many people here are actively working (close to finishing?) on HG runs of GHosts, HOS, HOM, SOHH, etc?

Ok, I'll stop blabbing. Consider your brain picked!

If there are collectors out there like myself who collect precode horror and bronze, how much tougher is it to find those 50s books than the 70s? I assume it's got to be tougher to get 50s books in grade, but how much harder is it?

With the exception of Gaines File copies (and even including those, really)- infinitely harder.

I am actively pursuing runs of the following bronze horror titles: Ghosts (VF or better), HOM, HOS, Weird War, Weird Western, Phantom Stranger and Unexpected. I am fairly close to finishing HOM, but have awhile to go on the rest. As far as scarcity in HG, I know almost nothing since I collect F/VF - VF+ almost exclusively. I will say that I have had trouble locating a few particular issues including HOS 96, Sinister House of Secret Love 3, HOM 179 and Weird War 6. Not sure if these are actually scare, but I can't seem to find them in decent shape. Oh, the Unexpected issue of Super DC Giant (S-23) has been a bear as well.