• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,915 posts in this topic

foreheadslap.gif D'Oh! I coulda voted for 4?! I'm still not up to speed on the new feature that allows multiple votes-- it's a great enhancement, I'm just slow to catch on. You might want to edit the thread title to highlight the Choose 4 option.

For those who collect/like the Ghosts series: Are you voting for it based on the covers alone, or are there memorable stories in it as well?

Those GHosts and weird war tales always had a gruesome Moral impact - I say stories more than covers - although WWT # 1 is pretty awesome

high grade bronze horror is indeed harder then bronze superhero, but NOWHERE near as tough as high grade pre code. Many pre codes you will never see above VF or VF+. The thing with bronze is RIGHT NOW its an expensive commodity in HG because there has not been much slabbed, so there is no good idea of what is still out there. Right now it doesn't look like a lot, that will creep up in numbers. I fully expect the late 60's/ early 70's will turn up in larger numbers then late 70's simply because all the great artists in them would have led to more being well taken care of. For years No one gave a [#@$%!!!] about post 1974 horror.

If the numbers do not grow, then todays 4x guide on a 9.4 will seem a bargain, I personally do not collect them in that grade unless i find them very cheaply because its too risky for someone of my income level. I do not see as many on ebay as you state though in high grade. DC alone put out over 900 issues of horror, so the amount that turns up per issue is pretty small. Certain issues are much more common ih HG, and some are unbearably difficult, so its hard to put a generalization to it. I do think there is a lot of growth potential on these books since many are so cheap now in the guide. $6.00 for any issue of Weird War in 9.2 is REDICULOUS for example! I really think the next 2 years will spell out the details of this genre as more and more information comes to light.

Very true about what you say in regards to precode and condition. If I can find a precode issue I happen to be hunting down in strict VF, I consider it a mega-rarity, a virtually irreplaceable book in fact. The precodes I have in VF or better I am highly reluctant to ever sell or trade, as I know that if I were to do so, I'd most likely never find them again (ECs and Harveys excluded). If I ever was convinced somehow to unload them, I'd have to make out huge in order to feel good about it. Definitely anything precode that gets slabbed at 8.0 or better, is, to me (and I think many other collectors of the genre) very HG indeed.

So yes, precode horror in NM is just about nonexistant. I own one slabbed at 9.0 and another at 9.2, and I consider myself damn lucky to have them!!

Hmm...the bronze at 4x guide is pretty pricey, but who knows? Maybe 10 yrs from now these will pay huge dividends? Like you say, shiver, much of the market value will be determined in the coming years, depending on those census reports. It's definitely a risk to buy those at high prices right now...but it might not be as big a risk as bronze superheroes, for example. My guess is that as long as these books continue to receive 4x guide, people will be slabbing quite a lot of them in the next year or two. We may get our answer to the scarcity question in the relatively near future.

So, ok, how about I revise my original question a little bit. if we all agree that precode horror in NM is just about nowhere to be seen, how about this question....what's tougher, precode horror in 8.0, or bronze horror in 9.6? I would guess pre-code horror still wins by a landside, but I am curious as to others opinions and experiences.

well, thats tough. There isn't enough data to figure it out yet. I would actually imagine its a close call in terms of difficulty. I would say you could imagine most pre codes have an average 12 to 25 examples left in 8.0, that number is probably more then the amount of 9.6's of any average bronze horror due to attrition. 9.4, yes the 8.0 PC takes it in a landslide, but not so sure about 9.6

I'm glad to see this thread getting a little action lately! It was so quiet for awhile...

Anyway, I think the general consensus is that the HG pre-code is going to be tougher hands down, am I right? C'mon, Shrunk! That was a no-brainer! grin.gif

Jury might still be out on 8.0 PC versus 9.6 BA, but give it maybe another two years or so for the census to pan out and I think that PC still comes out on top here.

Also, I don't think ANY BA horror can qualify as "scarce" as defined by OS. (20 - 100 copies) Hell, I don't even think Eerie #1 1947 Avon qualifies, even though OS just started listing it as such. But, yeah, some are going to be what I would call "tougher in high grade" for sure.

I also think that there is a lot of raw BA horror out there. You must remember that slabbing is largely tied to selling and until the prices escalate across the board I dont think we will see the larger seller slabbing em mass. Having said that and I'm not an expert on AA pre-code (paging POV) but BA horror does seem to have an excessive amout of dark covers and heavy inks. This of course makes 9.4 and up more difficult - to what degree I think we shall see. Personally I detest the, its only good if its valuable thought process in comics. BA horror is great beyond the speculation impulses because the stories and art are awesome...... sumo.gif

Greggy, I checked out your 100pager registry. very impressive!!

But I thought you had them all by now... or are many of the missing ones just still unslabbed?

I have them all but not are slabbed. Plus, I only slab copies that I think will get 9.4 or better.

But I thought you had them all by now... or are many of the missing ones just still unslabbed?

I have them all but not are slabbed. Plus, I only slab copies that I think will get 9.4 or better.

sleeping.gif

sleeping.gif

sorry.gif

sleeping.gif

sorry.gif

hail.gif

Well, jbud, I'm sorry you thought that my questions were geared towards "what's worth the most $$$", as that was not at all where I was coming from. I'm speaking strictly in terms of what's tougher to get in what grade, because as a collector, that's predominantly my interest. Like almost everybody else on these boards, I have a limited income, and I want to spend what dollars I can afford on the toughest books to find in grade, because as a collector, that's just what's appealing to me. NOT because I plan to flip books someday for untold profits. I think anyone who buys comics in the 21st century as an "investment" should probably take their dollars to the horsetrack. You'll agonize over losing your money quicker and at least you'll have a few exciting minutes to boot.

That's why I'm asking around, trying to get a feel for how tough it is to get bronze horror slabbed in 9.6 It would simply disappoint me on a personal level to buy a few books and then find out in 5 years that there's 60 copies of the same book slabbed in identical grade. I wouldn't, however, be disappointed on a financial level, as I only buy what I can afford, not what I hope to get some kind of stellar return on someday.

I also think that a lot of people are slabbing books without necessarily having the intention of selling them. Look at greggy's recent registry, for example. He's said on this thread that he only slabs books that he thinks will receive 9.4 or better. Why bother, if he's not going to sell them? (I assume he's not planning to, as he seems to genuinely cherish them so). Because CGC has created a new breed of collector, for good or for ill. Yes, it's definitely easier to sell a slabbed HG book than a raw HG book, but there are a lot of collectors out there who simply prefer having their books in slabs, with no intention of ever selling them. Make of this what you will, but it's a trend that I've noticed has gained some upswing.

I'm simply interested in talking to collectors about their experiences in getting cool, tough books. I'm not trying to pick anyone's brain here for financial advice because bronze horror is "hot" or some speculator tripe like that. I thought you guys would've thought I had more integrity than that! frown.gif

Maybe I misread Jbud's post, but i didn't think he was referring to you. There are people who are dropping 10 to 12x guide on certain issues in 9.4/9.6 which is just absurd, becasue "The word is out" on these comics. I thought you were asking about relative scarcity, not value. I brought up value, because it is a factor when buying books, it has to be when you are spending money.