• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Shrunk and some of the other Pre-Code guys got me thinking of something. It kind of leads to the initial post on the difference betweeen Pre and BA Horror.

I went to 2 cons this year and witnessed the same exact scenerio at each - I will use WonderCon because the principles are know to us. Its mid afternoon on Saturday and a few of the forum members are sitting around the food court talking about the show and the forum dinner taking place that evening. I know that Garh, Pov and I were there for sure because that is the bulk of the conversation I was involved in - I think Supa was lurking lol.

So from my perspective it was a great show, I had a lot of books and good leads on some larger deals for Sunday - coincidentaly I has seen the HOM 174 Northland change hands and thought seriously about seeing if it would change hands again (this book recently sold on Ebay - the buyer will be happy as its a beautiful book, the seller should be over joyed at the price difference in 6 mo.) I had bought about 25 BA Horror books at this point and would Tally almost 40 for the weekend.

On the other hand Pov and Garth were talking about the lack of selection and how the show had gotten bigger but basically only 25% of their warchest came onto the floor- why, well because they collect PreCode and Barks / Disney from the AA respectively. Or that is the primary focus.

So from each perspective WonderCon varied in appeal greatly and I think this phenomenon is not isolated. Maybe its that the Pre-Coders have ventured into the BA realm, for if nothing else something to look forward to and collect while they wait for Pre-Code to turn up. So I guess we will have to welcome more of our PC brethern to the Dark Side of CCA Horror collecting, c'mon its not that bad.

Hey forumites! hi.gif

I'm on vacation and the hotel has internet access. 893applaud-thumb.gif

On my way to Florida. Bought a set of Tower of Shadows issues #1-#8 to read. You horror guys are starting to get me into this whole genre. Not sure whether to thank you or curse you for getting me hooked. devil.gif

Looking forward to some good reading. Have read #1 so far and can't wait to read some other series.

Keith, when is the next issue of HCR coming out?

so Jim, I've spent nutso money on books I wanted. I've had to sell books I would otherwise not sell to get other books I wanted. Definitely not a good financial decision, but I like the books--I use my discretionary income. What does that makes me? poke2.gif

I have been neglecting this thread for too long! I've been partying it up over in the Infinite Copper Horror thread (sacrilegious!) 893whatthe.gif Some supplies came in from B.Cole and while I was rebagging I came across these beauties! I had forgotton how disturbing these covers are (to me at least!)

On this cover that torn piece of the victims dress on the axe is a chilling touch to imply such a brutal act!

627738-HOS%23115.jpg

589a8c26d6d4c_627738-HOS115.jpg.57d71b7ff8f028ee81d455de1b0a80fa.jpg

That's why I'm asking around, trying to get a feel for how tough it is to get bronze horror slabbed in 9.6 It would simply disappoint me on a personal level to buy a few books and then find out in 5 years that there's 60 copies of the same book slabbed in identical grade. I wouldn't, however, be disappointed on a financial level, as I only buy what I can afford, not what I hope to get some kind of stellar return on someday.

Well, from my point of view,you are probably looking only at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to low OS value bronze. There are probably a lot of raw HG copies still sitting out there in collections. Due to the low OS value, there is really no big money to be made from slabbing them at this pojnt in time. You have to remember that if these books are guiding at $6.00, then 15X guide only means $90.

Collectors with HG copies probably bought them off the newsstand or as back issues in the 70's. The demographics of these collectors are probably such that selling a HG BA book guiding at $6.00 for the outragous multiple of 15X only means selling it for a lousy $90.00. To these collectors, they are probably looking at the absolute dollars after taking off the cost of slabbing, the risk of low CGC grading, the hassle and time involved for packing and shipping, etc. and saying the heck with it. It's not worth the $50 profit and I'll just leave it in my collection until it becomes worthwhile to sell.

I know I certainly wouldn't go to all this trouble for a measly $100 or $200 profit even though it might represent 15X guide and I know a lot of other long-term collectors who feels exactly the same way.

so Jim, I've spent nutso money on books I wanted. I've had to sell books I would otherwise not sell to get other books I wanted. Definitely not a good financial decision, but I like the books--I use my discretionary income. What does that makes me? poke2.gif

A comic collector? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Horror was obviously important to Charlton if the sheer number of horror titles hadn't clued you off. Important enough to have one of their horror characters try to sell issues in other genres....

Ad is from late-1983. Sadly, the company would essentially fold less than a year later...

charltonad.jpg

Jim

Scary Tales #40 Johan Roux Cover

All I can say is WTF??? This is a horror title isn't it? I've seen better art on amateur fanzines. Bad for even a Charlton issue...

st40.jpg

Jim

All I can say is that guy is a lousy shot! smirk.gif

Well they were closing in on the end of the run on that title anyway, 6 more issues to go so they started using filler art and stories.

Keith, when is the next issue of HCR coming out?

Norinn - Have fun on vacation and live it up a little for all us forumites "stuck" in fall climes right now. Although I must say, this is my favorite time of year what with the leaves falling and Halloween coming and the near constant chill wind and rains. Horror season! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Speaking of Halloween - I am giving out beater reader horror comics for Halloween to the kiddies this year along with the candy. Anyone else doing this? Gotta get the youth involved or there won't be much of a hobby 25 years from now! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and HCR 5! Well, no set date yet, it's coming together slowly but I do have material including never before published pages from Neal Adams, Gil Kane, and Wally Wood! I'm going to guess maybe December or January. I wanted to do another Halloween Spooktacular, but it was just not feasible this year. sorry.gif

Edited by precodekeith

Jim, you are correct sir! thumbsup2.gif more like a drooling fanboy tongue.gif

I too am passing out comic books for Helloween, Keith. Unfortunately most of my readers are gone, but I have some 1990s material that I was going to give to comics4kids.org, but I will see how many I can give away.

Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #65 Steve Ditko Cover - Note cover is recolored and additional art added on top from inside panel art.

graves65.jpg

Jim

Those are great Charltons. The Ditko Graves #65 reminds me of this Ditko Charlton in "weird concept" as opposed to outright monster type stuff!

haunted16.jpg

On the other hand Pov and Garth were talking about the lack of selection and how the show had gotten bigger but basically only 25% of their warchest came onto the floor- why, well because they collect PreCode and Barks / Disney from the AA respectively. Or that is the primary focus.

I don't think I even HIT 25% of what I brought. But yes, the selection was actually gettng me slightly depressed. I got five books in total, and two were Crime books! The prices were higher than I would have expected too, even for things like your average G-VG Atlas pre-code, which are hardly scarce. I got so depressed I actually missed a Magic Marker color touch (complete with bleed-through) on one bookI bought. I just wasn't "getting into it" collector-wise. (Luckily the color touch was pointed out and I was able to return it next day to the dealer no problem).

Maybe its that the Pre-Coders have ventured into the BA realm, for if nothing else something to look forward to and collect while they wait for Pre-Code to turn up. So I guess we will have to welcome more of our PC brethern to the Dark Side of CCA Horror collecting, c'mon its not that bad.

I am actually having more fun collectng BA Horror right now over Pre-Code. Partially, as I once had about 80% of all pre-code in my collection, there are few "surprises". I am as much seeking out memories as books. With the BA Horror, these are all new to me. Never got into them. Never read them (one exception - I did get a Doorway To Mightmare #1 with - Madame Xanadu is it?- new off the rack and remember really enjoyng it.)

But for the most part, BA Horror is making feel like a kid again as far as collecting goes. While I never cared about only getting High Grade in pre-code (VG - Fine is just ok with me) I also want the BA Horror in HG. I think they look AMAZING in NM.

Charlton BA is also killing me. Really knew nothing about their BA titles except that Ditko did work there. They are pulling me a trifle more than DC is at this point!

What will happen with me and pre-code? No idea but time will tell.