• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Greggy! I recently bought a beautiful S-23 CGC 9.4 off of Dr. Banner....if you slab a 9.6, I'm gonna have to buy that off you and flip my 9.4! Ahhhhh! I'm turning into a full-on comic crackhead! Christo_pull_hair.gif
Errr....you don't have to do anything. BTW...the potential 9.6 won't be for sale unless my other copy grades that high. sumo.gif

hey guys,

It appears that you both have a lot of information in regards to how comics are created. I've always wondered this myself. Are there links you can forward in how pre-Modern books are created?

Sterling,

Sorry, but I don't know of any such links off-hand. I used to work in printing from 1989 to 1993, before I got into the steel industry. That's where I'm basing my opinions on. Wish I could be more help.

Hi guys. OK, you all know how much I love these books but I also love to flip 'em. This post is just about the flipping side. I found a seller on Ebay (cards-n-comics) who I just think is outstanding. I bought a complete TOD set from them not too long ago that was above expectations. This is a case of an UNDERgrader, or at least very strict and honest at the least. These guys just auctioned off some nice mid-grade bronze DC horror lots which I am thinking based off of the scans and history with this seller, to be potentially undergraded again. Now there are no "gems" here. Just a nice lot of better quality readers and issues to fill some holes of people not going for "grade".

Anyway, so I bought the four lots for what I think is pretty cheap. My thinking is that at conventions, and even individually (or in small groups of five) on Ebay that I can make out quite good with these. I know mid-grades do not sell for OS prices as this dealer has calculated out, but some collectors are still willing to pay fair amounts for nice readers to fill holes. I was just wondering on the opinions of my fellow Bronze horror brothers. Of course I'm not getting rich off of these cheapo issues, but it's still fun to play with new bronze books while at least making some nice small dollar profits. Four links below. -----Sid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

ton of books for cheap. Yeah, those books all looked 7.0 or better--clearly over-graded. Yeah no HG gems but damn-for less than the cost of my HOM 185 CGC 9.6 you have a significant number of decent BA books of 4 major DC titles.

Sterling

i saw those lots too and have paid attention to cards-n-comics because of their location (possible 35 cent Marvel price variant indirect source) They hve nice books, but IMO do not undergrade enough to warrant "betting" the money you piad for the 4 lots wink.gif I was going for 2 specifically and the bid history will tell you what I thought was a decent price paid for the lot vs. what I thought I could flip them for in the market today. Keep in mind that we came off of Halloween where the ebay market was just FLOODED with HOMs, HOs, Ghosts, Unexpected, horror CRIZZAP up the wazoo - while great for fillers, not worthwhile to the HG chasers who pay big bucks for the slabbed copies. So I guess it depends on who you want to cater to? The reason they were in lots is that those books sell best in lots unless you individualize and set a NM or CGC 9.4 next to it confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I'm not planning on getting rich with these, but for the price I think IMO they came pretty cheap. I've sold some small lots of 5-20 readers in much worse condition than these before (G to F range) and they have actually sold for higher than I expected. Plus at cons the individual issues should do well. At least considering what I paid for them. I'm not gonna start flipping these or any of my Bronze horror until at least next Jan or Feb anyway. Plus I may even keep the better ones for my own collection. I realize that Halloween flooded Ebay with this stuff, that's why it made for good buying opportunities. I even considered selling some horror over Halloween, but then I smartened up and realized that it is easier to make money when the supply isn't so great (that should have been obvious foreheadslap.gif). ----Sid

Same here, I didn't really notice all that much more bronze horror on ebay than the usual weekly offerings...4 or 5 highgrade slabs, 3 or 4 VF-range slabs, and the usual outpouring of lots and lowgrade stuff.

Well BassG, I wish you good luck flipping those lots, although I think I have to agree with Darth in thinking that it won't be so easy. 70's DCs are virtually ALL common books...the only thing that makes some of these books uncommon is when they occasionally pop up in exceptionally high grade. This is especially true of 70's horror as they were not typically hoarded for collectible "value" as were superhero books from the time period. But that doesn't mean that such books are scarce. They're certainly not, with a few tough exceptions.

Still, I think you're right that you'll have better luck with those midgraders at shows than you would on ebay.

The scan looks better than in person. Top staple indents cover so that some color rubbed off and that LL corner while not ripped is worn. Nothing else that bad overall. What would you grade it since I'm way over my head in grading 100 pagers?

BTW: I thought you needed that Unexpected # 160!

Edited by Jayman

The scan looks better than in person. Top staple indents cover so that some color rubbed off and that LL corner while not ripped is worn. Nothing else that bad overall. What would you grade it since I'm way over my head in grading 100 pagers?

Shouldn't be downgraded that much. Still looks very nice. I have one at CGC now so I don't really need another one. What Unexpected 160? confused-smiley-013.gif

Shouldn't be downgraded that much. Still looks very nice. I have one at CGC now so I don't really need another one. What Unexpected 160? confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course I can't find the thread now frustrated.gif but I thought I read a post where you and Sterling were discussing that issue and it being hard to get in HG.

I think it was 160, oh well...

Of course I can't find the thread now frustrated.gif but I thought I read a post where you and Sterling were discussing that issue and it being hard to get in HG.

I think it was 160, oh well...

OH...I still need that issue. Never found anything close to NM for that issue and I've all the other Unexpecteds in NM. frown.gif

Same here, I didn't really notice all that much more bronze horror on ebay than the usual weekly offerings...4 or 5 highgrade slabs, 3 or 4 VF-range slabs, and the usual outpouring of lots and lowgrade stuff.

Well BassG, I wish you good luck flipping those lots, although I think I have to agree with Darth in thinking that it won't be so easy. 70's DCs are virtually ALL common books...the only thing that makes some of these books uncommon is when they occasionally pop up in exceptionally high grade. This is especially true of 70's horror as they were not typically hoarded for collectible "value" as were superhero books from the time period. But that doesn't mean that such books are scarce. They're certainly not, with a few tough exceptions.

Still, I think you're right that you'll have better luck with those midgraders at shows than you would on ebay.

I wasn't going to sell until early next year, but hey, I've got an idea for an experiment. When I get this HoM lot (of the four I just bought) I am going to split it up, accurately grade each issue (to the best of my abilities) and sell it off in 10-15 different listings on Ebay all at the same time. Nothing more, nothing less, just parting it out as is. I paid $108 for the lot. Any guesses as to what it will net parted out on Ebay? I'm saying $225. Once that I receive it I'll update on this thread and post the link to all the auctions once that they are started. Here's the link again. Any other guesses as to what I'll net?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2280908270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT