• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,922 posts in this topic

House of Secrets 81 is notated in OS as "Mystery format begins", and was published in 9/69.

House of Mystery 174 is notated in OS as "Mystery format begins", and was published over a year earlier in 6/68. Is this the 1st DC Bronze Age Horror book?!?!

Unexpected 109 was published in 11/68, and top me it looks like the 1st Mystery/Horror cover theme and I don't recall seeing this book pictured in this thread:

un109.jpg

WOW! That's cool. I never saw that one before. So this is the issue right before the format change? Sure looks like a regular horror format book. I NEED to find one of these. If anyone has a mid-grade copy for sale at a reasonable price then please let me know. Thanks -----Sid

You will be looking for a long time if you want to find one of those gems. They are very rare....I heard the print run was super low. hail.gif

I'm pretty sure BassGMan was kidding there! It's a little bit of April in December! wink.gif

Actually I wasn't. foreheadslap.gif Didn't look closely enough at the number. Looks kinda' funny. I've just never seen this cover before. What is it actually?

for the slow people in the audience.

1933_4_6.jpg

Well, I liked it better with the HoM logo, gave it a little more legitimacy, still very cool. Not enough so to seek out anymore though.

Sid you are one strange dude. It's a cool headlights cover. PERIOD. You like cool covers & all of a sudden it ain't cool 'cause of the logo? One moment, you're begging for a copy, " I NEED to find one of these" & the next moment it's not cool enough. WTF? screwy.gif

BOC, oh it's still just as cool. It is just that I am only collecting the HoM run and want to purchase all of the best covers for that run. Not being HoM, I am not interested. There are MANY cool covers out there that I do not purchase. I just stay within the titles that I collect and go from there. I'd be broke if I bought EVERYTHING out there that looked cool. With that said, I cannot disagree with your "strange" comment.

#104 was the first all horror/mystery issue that didn't feature the monster or mad scientist angle prevalent in the title beforehand. #105 was the first issue which dropped "Tales of" and strictly went with "The Unexpected" (still with the all mystery format). Either one could be chosen as the first...

Some could say the title didn't fully convert to the all mystery/horror format until Johnny Peril ended but if that was the case you'd have to go into the #120s and we know it started way before that...

Shiver may have more to add...

Jim

#104 was the first all horror/mystery issue that didn't feature the monster or mad scientist angle prevalent in the title beforehand. #105 was the first issue which dropped "Tales of" and strictly went with "The Unexpected" (still with the all mystery format). Either one could be chosen as the first...

Some could say the title didn't fully convert to the all mystery/horror format until Johnny Peril ended but if that was the case you'd have to go into the #120s and we know it started way before that...

Shiver may have more to add...

Jim

Sounds reasonable.

104 features a Neal Adams cover (which doesn't really have any bearing on the categorization of the book, but collecting his work is what pulled me into collecting the horror books originally) that could be considered horror-themed, so that's reasonable.

105 has the name change, so that would also seem to fit (note that OS says 105 is the 1st 12-cent issue, but that is incorrect as 104 has a 12-cent cover as well).

109 appears to be the 1st straight up horror cover theme with the witch (the 2nd interior story features a witch and matches the cover, with the Johnny Peril story being the lead).

Both 104 and 105 pre-date HoM 174, so I guess either way the DC Bronze Horror genre started in this title?

I'll peruse the interior contents of those issues later to see how the content measures up... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On that note, while I was growing up (late 70's?) there was a DC horror comic which featured (a) a man shrinking and getting squished between two billiard balls; and (b) two kids getting revenge on a mean guy by making him eat worms in his sandwich. The last panel shows a gigantic worm crawling out of his deflated body. [#@$%!!!], that was a disgusting picture. Does anybody know what title/issue this was without having to take too much time to look it up?

The billiard balls story reminds me of the cover to GHOSTS Digest, which reprinted several DC tales. I will dig mine out to see if I can find any further info.... Shivs says it's probably originally from a HoM.... he's probably right ....I'll see what I can dredge up for ya... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HEINLEIN - the story you are talking about with the billiards is most likely "Death on Cue," which is reprinted in GHOSTS digest and featured as the cover. This is DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest 17. Written by David Micheline& Russel Carey, drawn by Rubeny. Sadly, the digest does not state where it made it's original appearance. sorry.gif

Edited by precodekeith

1933_4_6.jpg

It's a cool headlights cover. PERIOD.

...and the babe's not bad either! 27_laughing.gif

Not to mention it is a Neal Adams Cover, he also did the interior art for the 14 page "Humbug Run" story, written by Len Wein.

Just a few MORE reasons to seek out this classic comic.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ze-

I picked up a few upgrades...

yay.gif

671557-hom261.jpg

Ooohhh...I like this one.... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

I also dig this cover.. his work always catches my eye.

But man, I gotta admit.. the lead off story that goes with this cover.. is about the WORST story I have read in a HOM.

While the idea was a good one... for some reason it just rubbed me the wrong way.To me the presentation was terrible, and the comical face they put on DEATH was over the top.

But on the flip side.. the LAST story in the book was a treat.

I almost did not get through the book, and might have missed the really bizarre Skeates/Suydam Two Faces of Death Story.

FANTASTIC

I still LOVE the cover though ..being from Indiana as I am.. and surrounded by CORN.

Ze-