• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

I wonder when/if there will be a spike or even modest increase in those numbers. Maybe not necessarily all high grade, I mean there is not much even in the way of "misses" in the middle/lower grades. You would think there might be more copies in any grade considering each is a $100+ book in 9.2 in the OS. And each brings a big slabbed premium for the most part.

I'm betting there are more than a few sitting in collections that aren't going anywhere soon. Even HG copies. Genre collectors tend to keep their comics once acquired and aren't likely to feel a need to slab them.

If prices continue to rise, and I'm of the belief large price increases on horror have topped off for now, you may see many more come out. But I'm guessing the rise would have to be higher than your normal price increase for genre collectors to let them go. Especially those with HG copies as the effort to get them was probably more difficult than your average superhero comic.

Give it 5-10 years though when the cycle repeats itself and horror back issues re-ignite and you'll likely to see the Census numbers rise quickly.

If a crash happens in the meantime though, all bets are off... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

I wonder when/if there will be a spike or even modest increase in those numbers. Maybe not necessarily all high grade, I mean there is not much even in the way of "misses" in the middle/lower grades. You would think there might be more copies in any grade considering each is a $100+ book in 9.2 in the OS. And each brings a big slabbed premium for the most part.

I'm betting there are more than a few sitting in collections that aren't going anywhere soon. Even HG copies. Genre collectors tend to keep their comics once acquired and aren't likely to feel a need to slab them.

If prices continue to rise, and I'm of the belief large price increases on horror have topped off for now, you may see many more come out. But I'm guessing the rise would have to be higher than your normal price increase for genre collectors to let them go. Especially those with HG copies as the effort to get them was probably more difficult than your average superhero comic.

Give it 5-10 years though when the cycle repeats itself and horror back issues re-ignite and you'll likely to see the Census numbers rise quickly.

Jim

I suspect your comment about the genre collectors is right on the money. I know I am disinclined to slab any issues I have in high grade. It makes no sense for me to slab books I have no immediate plans to relinquish. Couple that fact with little to no interest on my part in any eventual CGC horror registry, slab damage, and the inability to actually hold/open the book and I just prefer to keep my copies raw for the most part.

It's just that only 6 slabbed issues of HOS 81, whatever the reason, was low enough to pique my interest on the subject. I still think it is odd in 2005 that there aren't a couple of 7.0s or something mixed in the numbers. You would think the push on horror books would have tempted someone to send in a lesser quality copy of one of these books. Can you tell I need a HOS 81 yet? crazy.gif

Jim

Jim, although I respect your opinion, and for all I know you could be right, BUT my opinion is the exact opposite. I agree that the horror genre is cyclical, but I also believe we are just about 1/3 (give or take) into it and that in this cycle we have yet to see continued huge price increases ahead. We are far from the top. I am more in the Doug Sulipa camp from his current report in the new Overstreet. Read his comments regarding DCs and see what you think. Like Doug, I'm still a BA DC Horror bull for years to come. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I am more in the Doug Sulipa camp from his current report in the new Overstreet. Read his comments regarding DCs and see what you think. Like Doug, I'm still a BA DC Horror bull for years to come. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I haven't read his comments yet. But I suspect some of it is coming from the fact Doug has the luxury of having the Manitobas to push his sales higher. These comics have a buzz to them and consistently sell for over guide as a result.

Recent eBay and auctions sales tend to indicate sales have topped out and even gone down a bit in everything but the uber slabbed grades...

But I will let you know more about my views on Doug's comments once my OS arrives... mad.giffrustrated.gif

Jim

Jim

Very astute observation! I agree! thumbsup2.gif

I still think it is odd in 2005 that there aren't a couple of 7.0s or something mixed in the numbers. You would think the push on horror books would have tempted someone to send in a lesser quality copy of one of these books.

Maybe the horror "push" hasn't been as strong as we have thought? confused-smiley-013.gif

Being horror collectors, we are wrapped up in our own little horror world. Does any influx of new interest in the genre always tend to seem like a "craze?"

It is obvious DC BA has been the area of horror interest the last five years, certainly the last three. It has yet to reach the ignorant, blind frenzy ( screwy.gif) of the 90's pre-code boom though, and maybe it never will. How many OTHER market reports were screaming "BA horror!" from the roof tops like Sulipa?

Very cool cover, and yup somewhat similar. I will pick one up soon.

A reader's copy maybe screwy.gif

Not a true HG, but a little better than a reading copy tongue.gif

une118.jpg

Maybe the horror "push" hasn't been as strong as we have thought? confused-smiley-013.gif

Being horror collectors, we are wrapped up in our own little horror world. Does any influx of new interest in the genre always tend to seem like a "craze?"

Oh the craze was there alright based on a number of very eye catching prices realized for HG slabs. But it did seem as if the same bidders were the ones sending these prices into the stratosphere. So maybe the craze was a little overstated.

Same thing has occurred with the 30/35 cent variant collectors. A few collectors were fighting among themselves and sending prices skyward. Now that they have a copy, prices have crashed...

Don't think the exact same thing has happened in horror but prices have softened a bit and the heat seems gone...for now...

Jim