• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Here's a CGC 8.5 copy of HoM 203. Despite the scrape at the bottom, there are no handling marks on the book. Looking to upgrade if someone has a HG copy...

787382-hom203.JPG

That's a very cool cover - don't think I've seen it posted. Who did the cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Blows my copy away. hail.gif

sorry.gif

Thanks Dice! ...though to be totally honest I think this is a textbook example of how a scan doesn't tell the whole story. If a seller put this up and called it a 9.4, I'd believe them and bid through the roof accordingly, but I picked it up as a 9.0 and I agree with that more conservative grade (just maybe a borderline 9.2). There's very slight yellowing of the cover whites toward the top, and just a bit of non-color-breaking wear on the spine & spine corners. But all that said... cloud9.gif!

Funny thing is, HoS #92 is by far the most "famous" of all the BA DC Horror books and in my opinion is the worst Wrightson cover that he did on any DCs of that time period. The way he draws the girl pales in comparison to his other covers. I've got a mid-grade copy of this book but I didn't buy it for the cover. tongue.gif

Wasn't the girl on HoS # 92 supposed to be a portrait of another artists girlfriend/wife that Wrightson admired? I recall reading something about this but confess to forgetting most of the details. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Cool, glad to see you guys agree. I was worried that I'd be slammed for dissing a sacred book. smirk.gif

The availability of that book does make me wonder about the availability of the other late 60's/early 70's DC horror books - will the recent escalation in prices bring them out in similar numbers, or has too much time passed that the books have slowly degraded over time, neglected, under-appreciated, beat up after decades of abuse in the quarter bins? frown.gif

However, HoS 92 is pretty much the only notable DC Bronze "1st appearance". The only other significant character introduced by DC during that time was Jonah Hex, and he's nowhere near as popular as the Swamp Thing. The other major DC Bronze Keys (GL 76, Detective 400, Bats 232/234, a couple of the early 100-pagers) introduce villains, or have no 1st appearances of note.

Wasn't the girl on HoS # 92 supposed to be a portrait of another artists girlfriend/wife that Wrightson admired? I recall reading something about this but confess to forgetting most of the details. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Jeff Jones' wife at the time, later Walt Simonson's wife? confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe Jeff Jones "switched teams" a little later in his careeer... 893whatthe.gif

Yes, it was Louise Jones I think, who was Jeff's wife at the time if memory serves me correctly. She later married Walt Simonson.

Of note also is that I think she edited for the Warren magazines for a little bit, as well as for Marvel. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited by precodekeith

Jeff Jones' wife at the time, later Walt Simonson's wife? confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe Jeff Jones "switched teams" a little later in his careeer... 893whatthe.gif

Yep, that was the story! Thanks drbanner and Keith for jogging the ole grey matter!

And yes, Jeff Jones did have a sex change! foreheadslap.gif

I'm continuely amazed at the things you can learn around here... smirk.gif

Did/does he/she still work and, if so, what name does he/she draw under? insane.gif

Jim

I'm continuely amazed at the things you can learn around here... smirk.gif

Did/does he/she still work and, if so, what name does he/she draw under? insane.gif

Jim

Rob gave us the scoop last time around. Page down that thread for a link to a first-hand account from Jones.