• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

haven't been to any west of philly...

i speak of the cons in ny and new england area (where i set up tables of course!)

i gladly sell some of those comics in 9.2 range for 15-30$...(but i rarely give 9.4 grades)...

HoM go for a bit more...those wwt really have me mystified...and some others

...but i will say i am glad there are people interested in these comics...

let us know how the QP on the Swampy #7 looks in person greggy... poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Ya just to follow up on the availability of BA Horror.

You have to look for it, collecting BA Horror is not for the lazy person. This is evident by checking out the wal books of most dealers, of which maybe and I mean maybe 5% is BA horror, more like 1-3%. Its all Spiderman, FF, Batman, X-men,Superman etc etc, plus whatever movie hype books are in Vogue.

I mean ppl give greggy a lot of slack, rightly so hi.gif but I'm pretty sure the DC's he turns up don't just fall from the sky - he has to go dig around a little and find them. In that respect collecting BA Horror is a bit like being a variant collector, not to the extreme that those wackos go but its got the same stature in the Hobby - IE outside the mainstream.

There is a little bit of exposure flying BA horror's way over the past year, culminated by Doug Sulipa's article in the OS - but even that article is a little self serving as Doug has a lot of BA Horror makepoint.gif The competition is starting to warm up a bit and the bandwagon a little less spacious, still in terms of the amount of general BA Horror books (outside the keys) that get slabbed, get mentioned as having broken a price record etc etc, still not a lot of activity relative to the mainstream titles.

The truth is out there - make sure you look for it and don't overpay.

Put it this way, at WonderCon I know for a fact that pov - BassG and myself were going to specifically target these books and thats just three ppl I know personally. With that in mind all three of us still got at least 30 books in HG, heck I think pov had close to 100.

Yes. I averaged a bit more than 30 a day for three days. Now by the end of the last day, I WILL say the pickings were a LOT slimmer. At least for real HG. Still a LOT of mid-grade and lower around. Now I have to wonder if the dealers from Wonercon who did so well there on HG BA will open up their vaults, so to speak, and treat us to more at SD!

Put it this way, at WonderCon I know for a fact that pov - BassG and myself were going to specifically target these books and thats just three ppl I know personally. With that in mind all three of us still got at least 30 books in HG, heck I think pov had close to 100.

Yes. I averaged a bit more than 30 a day for three days. Now by the end of the last day, I WILL say the pickings were a LOT slimmer. At least for real HG. Still a LOT of mid-grade and lower around. Now I have to wonder if the dealers from Wonercon who did so well there on HG BA will open up their vaults, so to speak, and treat us to more at SD!

Just curious Pov, what would you say the average grade was on the books you got? All higher than 8.5 say?

Well I know that Pov was a little less picky that I was, but he still got some reall nice books - mostly since I don't collect Ghosts, or Witching Hour wink.gif and pointed him toward a few dealers that had the goods.

Perosnally I took 25 books all HOM, HOS WWBN, TOD everybook was 9.2 or better. The price scale went like this in terms of sticker to % of guide.

1. TOD

2. HOM

3. HOS

4 WWBN

haven't been to any west of philly...

i speak of the cons in ny and new england area (where i set up tables of course!)

i gladly sell some of those comics in 9.2 range for 15-30$...(but i rarely give 9.4 grades)...

HoM go for a bit more...those wwt really have me mystified...and some others

...but i will say i am glad there are people interested in these comics...

let us know how the QP on the Swampy #7 looks in person greggy... poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Get the books yet? That'll be my slab and sell copy so you'll have a chance to see it in person!

All right, back to my favorite subject. Supply and demand of BA horror at large comic cons. Granted I haven't been focusing on this stuff forever, but I can speak from experience covering the last two Wondercons and the last San Diego and Chicago cons where BA horror WAS my primary focus. Yes, HG BA horror is available. Not necessarily alot, and certainly the best covers (which I believe is by far the #1 selling point) are hard to come by if you are lucky enough to see them at all. But some dealers realize this hot new genre and price these newly mylared books accordingly. Less up to date dealers still have them in the crusty bag and bent up board bins priced very low. Obviously these out of date dealers have mostly been picked through, but occasionally I have found great HG books at $5-10. Again, the same books keep popping up, whether early or late 70s with these more common books posessing the lessor desirable covers. Personally, for the few HG high priced books that I do see with my preferred covers, I usually pass on only due to the price. Since I only buy what I like, but also realize that sooner or later I'll be selling these same books, if I cannot buy it for a good deal less than I think I can sell it for I won't buy it, at least in most cases.

For those wondering about the difference between SD and SF (POV and Jbud) as I've said before, take Wondercon to a factor of X10. No joke, Wondercon is the baby brother of San Diego and San Diego will have such a huge amount of material that it will be hard to see it all. Keep in mind though that the level of attendance comes right along with that. SD gets VERY crowded and competition between buyers and dealers is stiff. This can help or hurt us depending on what we are looking for.

Due to budget restraints (and the desire to purchase "piles" of comics rather than just a few books) I usually just look for VF and up for prices between $5 and $30 and have had great luck doing so. This year may be different but several months ago at Wondercon I was doing fine with this range. In addition to the DC horror I also look for and buy the Bat books (Bat,Det,B&B) and find these comparable books to certainly still be more expensive than their horror counterparts. Due to the much lessor availability of horror to Bats I don't see this continuing for long. I realize Bat fans may outnumber the horror fans 10 to 1 but horror is starting to attract more and more fans (as we can see) and I wouldn't doubt if the horror starts to outprice Bat and other comparable superhero books soon. Again, this would be due to scarcity and new fans.

Anyway, that's a combination of my experience mixed in with some speculation. I'll be competing with several of you coming up soon in both San Diego and Chicago for great deals on great books. But for those books with prices in the hemispheres (justifiably or not) I'll take a pass on those. It should be fun. thumbsup2.gif

Just curious Pov, what would you say the average grade was on the books you got? All higher than 8.5 say?

Except for a literally a couple of books, I would say yes. All higher than 8.5. Many 9.4 and a few 9.6-9.8. I know there is a lot there but looking back in the most wonderful Infinite Bronze Horror thread you will see a slew of scans of the books I got. Now I did not choose them for the best grade, just for the covers that tickled me the most. I think I did good. Luckily, I have notated all of the books I got at Wondercon 2005 in my spreadsheet so I know which ones I got there. And the vast majority are just so nice!

Well I know that Pov was a little less picky that I was, but he still got some reall nice books

Yowsa! "A little less picky"? Man I hope you didn;t see things I missed. I would grade, except for a couple of just foreheadslap.gif misses near the end of the day, that a 9.0 would be a fair minimum. And a 9.2-9.4 would be a fair average. And some 9.6-9.8 would not be out of the question. I weep for my ancient eyes. frown.giffrown.gif

Just bugging you Pov, I was super impressed with the haul you got seeing how LATE you hit the show floor devil.gif By picky I meant 2 things - one I only collect HOM and HOS and a few select covers in the other BA books - two I've been into BA horror for a few more years IE when you were still shelling out the $$$ for that PreCode stuff (ya I'm jealous). So I don't need as many BA Horror books having sewed up my copy of this and that book long ago. I was really impressed with some of the Horror crossover stuff you got. thumbsup2.gif

BassGMan,

Thanks for the report, very interesting what you bring up about the "best cover BA Horror" books being hard to find. Since they are harder to find, it makes you look at lesser desirable covers and come to appreciate them more IMHO. Covers such as HoM # 210, 212, 234. Eventually, with more appreciation, some of these books will start to drift into the "desirable cover" catagory.

Sterling: Killer Unexpecteds! Those early issues 104-120's (yes I know the actual title changed with 105 but they changed the logo starting 104) are some of the best BA covers. Cannot see that Unexpected # 134 enough, on a nice HG copy, those inks just pop off the cover! Another cover I've come to appreciate more! cloud9.gif

95586387.jpg

Now, to find a bloody copy of #118... Christo_pull_hair.gif

headbang.gif Great Cardy cover, one of my favorites by him! Good luck with the 118, that can be a tough book (though there seem to be half a dozen board members who have 9.0 or better copies, and show them off every time it is mentioned tongue.gif).

Just bugging you Pov, I was super impressed with the haul you got seeing how LATE you hit the show floor

OK - I get you now regarding the titles! Yeah, Sunday was defintitely a late day for me. Those Forum Dinners really take a toll. At the 2004 Wondercon I never made it on Sunday, after the dinner. Iy acxtually took me until Monday to feel ok again! (No headache or hangover thing - just totally zonked). 2004 was when I got no BA - tried looking and froze, so to speak, because I didnl;t know what I was doing. 2005 I was ready and even though I was late and low energy on Sunday, still managed close to 30 books. In fact, Sunday was the day I discovered the Hero/Horror books and that gave me a real energy boost!

I still don't know what they hell they were thinking about the outer cover being 8.0...

Holy [#@$%!!!]! 30 people have seen this listing and you just put it up?

BTW, you may want to ping "marlede", who bid on bobcat's books this week. If I've done my homework correctly, Mark (marlede) has written a halloween book and is quite a horror nut. He may give you $150 just by the nature of his bids...

http://www.halloweencollector.com/book/

The book kinda reminds me of shiver's work....

flowerred.gif