• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Let me ask you guys something. I haven't used PGX in over a year mainly because they don't get alot of respect from the marketplace and I haven't wanted to get my books slabbed by PGX only to sell for under CGC values. I use CGC exclusively for my 1975 and up books. But now I'm thinkin', maybe I should get some of my '68-74 DC horror books slabbed by PGX. No 9.6s or 9.8s in there, mainly 8.5-9.2 with a few 9.4s if I'm lucky. For me these aren't HG enough to spend roughly $25 a slab and wait four months with CGC, but for $14 and one month at PGX it may be worthwhile. So here's the question. Since you guys represent a small target audience for the kinds of books I would get slabbed, if you found a PGX graded book that you were looking for, in the grade you were looking for (nice PQ and all that as well) would you be willing to bid on it, and if so, would you be willing to pay up to the same amount if it was CGC graded instead, or if not, what % of a CGC slab. I'm really just trying to get a few opinions to see if it is worth it, or if I should just go raw when it is time to sell my pre-'75ers. Thanks.

I don't have an opinion because I'm kinda in the same boat. I've just sold two CGC slabs this past week and both buyers contacted me saying how undergraded the book was and that they were going to crack it and resub it. 893censored-thumb.gif

with that said, I may need to seek out cheaper and time effecient alternatives especially if this mixed bag continues. The big hold up with me purchasing PGX books were restoration detection, but in light of certain events-my reservations have been abated.

In terms of PGX prices, I have no clue. A rule of thumb may be to expect 80% of the equivalent CGC GPA price. For example: I snagged a HOS #122 PGX 9.4 for about $40; normally a CGC price would neet anywhere to $65 to $100 depending on demand. If you have profit room from there, then do it. Warning: I've just used the PIDOMA method; it's a term I use for my project management analysis. A no prize to whomever first correctly guesses the acronymn.

In the final analysis--perform a JIT analysis of the market when you sell and guage the market. So far, you've done well and I don't see that trend changing since you already have a working formula that just needs small changes.

Hey gang! I know I should probably post this is marketplace, but I figure asking here is probably going to get more of the right "eyes" than there. So anyway, I'm looking to quickly pick up some lower grade copies to fill a few holes in my DC BA runs. I have a slew of lower grade horror to trade in return, not interested in buying outright since $ is tight due to the wedding & baby. If anyone is interested, here's what I am looking for:

Witching Hour: 51,80, 85

Ghosts: 27, 28, 46, 49, 64, 71

Unexpected: 105, 124, 161, 178, 213.

Sorry sign-offtopic.gif

Hey gang! I know I should probably post this is marketplace, but I figure asking here is probably going to get more of the right "eyes" than there. So anyway, I'm looking to quickly pick up some lower grade copies to fill a few holes in my DC BA runs. I have a slew of lower grade horror to trade in return, not interested in buying outright since $ is tight due to the wedding & baby. If anyone is interested, here's what I am looking for:

Witching Hour: 51,80, 85

Ghosts: 27, 28, 46, 49, 64, 71

Unexpected: 105, 124, 161, 178, 213.

Sorry sign-offtopic.gif

I think I can help you out with 4 of those. Shoot me a PM.

Didn't Matthew (Shiverbones) move back to New Orleans? foreheadslap.gif

Hope he has his books and art (not to mention himself) protected and out of danger. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Actually Shiver has been missing from this thread for far too long now! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Be safe Matthew! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hope he has his books and art (not to mention himself) protected and out of danger. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No, he moved back to NJ with a bud after his NO lease ran out. He's busy painting so that's why he hasn't been as available. gossip.gif

No, he moved back to NJ with a bud after his NO lease ran out. He's busy painting so that's why he hasn't been as available. gossip.gif

That's good. I was thinking about him while I was watching the impending encroachment of Katrina. God speed to those in the hurricane's path.

Sorry sign-offtopic.gif again, but...

a big "Thank you!" to Weird! Really helped a brother horror -head out! Great guy to deal with with! I owe ya, man! hail.gif

Indeed he is. flowerred.gif

He sent me some BA horror readers a few weeks ago after reading that I was looking for some HOS issues in my Chicago con report.

a big "Thank you!" to Weird! Really helped a brother horror -head out! Great guy to deal with with! I owe ya, man! hail.gif

He sent me some BA horror readers a few weeks ago after reading that I was looking for some HOS issues in my Chicago con report.

Great guy. Sent me a HOM 238 after he upgraded his old copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great guy. Sent me a HOM 238 after he upgraded his old copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You guys are so gay... tongue.gif

Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other? 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other? 27_laughing.gif

There's no privacy at the gym since you & your "buddies" started "hanging out" there! tongue.gif

Wow Sterling, you really stuck it to redfishing 893whatthe.gif

If I was you, I'd feel darn lucky. The 9.2 went for only a hundred.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DON-ROSA-PEDIGREE-Ho...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now that the smoke cleared, yes. I saw that Mike got bobcat's copy. I have the PC 9.2 copy, just wanting to upgrade.

This is exactly the kind of 893censored-thumb.gif I'm getting tired of. I'm like 0 for 3 now, and these are the "toughies" left in my run. Oh well. The four amigos in HG horror: me, redf1shing, marlede, and thedongerneedsfood

Didn't you hear? I only collect midgrade books now. grin.gif

I'll only bid $1 on auctions from here on out.

Wow Sterling, you really stuck it to redfishing 893whatthe.gif

If I was you, I'd feel darn lucky. The 9.2 went for only a hundred.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DON-ROSA-PEDIGREE-Ho...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now that the smoke cleared, yes. I saw that Mike got bobcat's copy. I have the PC 9.2 copy, just wanting to upgrade.

This is exactly the kind of 893censored-thumb.gif I'm getting tired of. I'm like 0 for 3 now, and these are the "toughies" left in my run. Oh well. The four amigos in HG horror: me, redf1shing, marlede, and thedongerneedsfood

Didn't you hear? I only collect midgrade books now. grin.gif

I'll only bid $1 on auctions from here on out.

HoM 183 is one of the hardest books in the run to find in grade...before the auction for the 9.2 ended, there wasn't a single sale noted in GPA for this issue!! 893whatthe.gif

HoM 183 is one of the hardest books in the run to find in grade...before the auction for the 9.2 ended, there wasn't a single sale noted in GPA for this issue!! 893whatthe.gif

Which explains my bids--I wasn't trying to stick it to high bidder--I was trying to win it! It's another 190 of sorts. If nothing shows up after this, then this issue is truely rare. I still kick myself for not getting issue 179 CGC 9.6 from Milehigh when it was $400---I just didnt like the QP.