• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,918 posts in this topic

My goal for this thread in 2006 is to keep the content fresh and active. Several ways I want to achieve this is by:

• Highlight issues with story synopsis and content
  • Highlight favorite artists and story content
  • Research and provide value with any behind the scenes information on the series
  • Run contests

Please provide additional ideas and feedback.

Cheers,

Sterling

I like that idea. I'll take a small run of issue and provide scans to show points and art. The thread has been a little boring lately. I'll select the group of issues I want to work on in the meantime. Lets revamp this baby for Jan 06, yay.gif

I like that idea. I'll take a small run of issue and provide scans to show points and art. The thread has been a little boring lately. I'll select the group of issues I want to work on in the meantime. Lets revamp this baby for Jan 06, yay.gif

My participation here has been lacking primarily because I wanted to help remove the stigma of this being a "covers" only type of thread. It's life was kickstarted on this format but now I feel we need to move in a more bolder and content rich direction. BA horror has much to offer and I hope we can all have fun participating on this moving in 2006. This is my CGC board new year resolution.

On providing research and content I am considering hosting this information so peer horror collectors can find and research this information easier.

PM me (or reply here) your ideas so we can spearhead the efforts moving forward! thumbsup2.gif

Please forgive me if this question has been already asked and answered but what's the most difficult Bronze Age Horror #1's to get in high grade? And are the DC Horror #1's scarcer in high grade than the Marvel's?

Sincerely,

BronzeJohnny

Please forgive me if this question has been already asked and answered but what's the most difficult Bronze Age Horror #1's to get in high grade? And are the DC Horror #1's scarcer in high grade than the Marvel's?

Sincerely,

BronzeJohnny

From personal experience, I would say they're much tougher than the Marvels since for the most part they came out earlier. The toughest for me has been House of Mystery #174. House of Secrets #81 follows. Witching Hour #1 appears semi-regularly. I don't collect the gothic ones, like Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, but those are tough as well from what I understand. Ghosts and Weird War Tales appear in high grade often. For Marvel, the only Marvel number ones that are difficult, in my view would be Tower of Shadows, Chamber of Darkness, Fear, Chamber of Chills, Journey into Mystery V2, and Supernatural Thrillers, pretty much in that order. Dracula, Werewolf, Frankenstein are downright easy to find, as are most of the reprint titles, with the exception of Fear, probably since it's a squarebound. This is all just my opinion, but I'm sure you could peruse the census to get the definitive answer.

Joe

My participation here has been lacking primarily because I wanted to help remove the stigma of this being a "covers" only type of thread. It's life was kickstarted on this format but now I feel we need to move in a more bolder and content rich direction. BA horror has much to offer and I hope we can all have fun participating on this moving in 2006. This is my CGC board new year resolution.

Yes, certainly this thread has mostly been a "covers thread" where we show off our favorites and our new HG purchases. That's all cool, but I think what can be even more interesting is to read mini-reviews of various stories or issues. I'm really not much of a reader, more of a cover guy, but when I read a review of a particular story that sounds interesting, it makes me want to dig through my boxes for that book and read the dang thing. I'm all for giving mini-reviews accompanied by some kind of rating system for the story, 1-5 for example. It is even interesting to read a horrible review of a stupid story as well.

House of Secrets #81 is the toughest of the DCs #1 to get, followed by House of Mystery 174. Outside of that, most of the other #1 issues will come by, although a bit expensive. My complaints reside in the fact that as a BA horror completionist, I'm looking for HG copies of issues that no one is really searching for. Tons of collectors will collect a #1 of a series, but not the entire series. Anyone seen a Ghosts #50 CGC 9.4 or better for instance. As a side note even though Wrightson is a sought after artist it wasn't until recently until some of the HOM issues were even in the census.

The Marvel BA Horror isn't that tough to get; just be patient. Frankenstein, TOD and WBN are showing to be relatively easy to obtain, although the shorter obscure reprint Marvel titles (Chamber of Darkness, Dead of Night, etc) have remained a quagmire. It's feast or famine for some of these titles; some issues I've seen having to wait a while, and then 2 or 3 high grade copies will go for sale the same month. For the most part, ComicBookGuy--you are correct. It also depends on when you entered the market, as my thoughts pertain to the last 4 years of collecting this genre. Availability of DC horror has dramatically improved since my return to comic collecting. Coincidence? Don't know...but demand still outweighs supply for high grade counterparts. The supply is catching up, though. (Now, if people will just use my census as a guide... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

Nice idea Sid...I will be in the stages of formulating a process for reviews and such so we can all share the stories and information beyond the cover. I'm looking forward to it.

House of Secrets #81 is the toughest of the DCs #1 to get, followed by House of Mystery 174. Outside of that, most of the other #1 issues will come by, although a bit expensive. My complaints reside in the fact that as a BA horror completionist, I'm looking for HG copies of issues that no one is really searching for. Tons of collectors will collect a #1 of a series, but not the entire series. Anyone seen a Ghosts #50 CGC 9.4 or better for instance. As a side note even though Wrightson is a sought after artist it wasn't until recently until some of the HOM issues were even in the census.

The Marvel BA Horror isn't that tough to get; just be patient. Frankenstein, TOD and WBN are showing to be relatively easy to obtain, although the shorter obscure reprint Marvel titles (Chamber of Darkness, Dead of Night, etc) have remained a quagmire. It's feast or famine for some of these titles; some issues I've seen having to wait a while, and then 2 or 3 high grade copies will go for sale the same month. For the most part, ComicBookGuy--you are correct. It also depends on when you entered the market, as my thoughts pertain to the last 4 years of collecting this genre. Availability of DC horror has dramatically improved since my return to comic collecting. Coincidence? Don't know...but demand still outweighs supply for high grade counterparts. The supply is catching up, though. (Now, if people will just use my census as a guide... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

Nice idea Sid...I will be in the stages of formulating a process for reviews and such so we can all share the stories and information beyond the cover. I'm looking forward to it.

I think we're both in agreement pretty much, although when you are referring to Chamber of Darkness as a reprint title, I think you're possibly mistaking it for Tomb of Darkness or maybe Chamber of Chills, which is part reprint and part new. COD is new stories.

I like Sid's idea. Choosing a comic or story and giving everyone a couple weeks to track down or dig out a copy of it to read would be helpful, then we could review it here on the thread, sort of like a book club. It may be cool to read HOM 174 and HOS 81 and compare them. Just a thought to start the process rolling.

Joe

My bad-I basically lumped the reprint and sorta reprint titles all together. The Marvel titles sound so familiar that sometimes its easy to get twisted.

I'd like to get a web site together where we can all rate and analyze the stories and keep the content better organized. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'd like to get an overall issue and story synopsis and then have a place where we can all review it as per our tastes. I'd like to keep a digital archive of the issues, but that's a legal barrier that I probably shouldn't pursue just yet. Does anyone know if reproduction of select panels would be an issue?

Sterling

I'm pretty sure single panels or even selected pages would be fine, and covered under the "fair use" standard for copyright purposes. Heck, I even think scanning a short story would be ok, like October did for "The Demon Within." I've been thinking about doing the same for my fave Wally Wood Bronze Horror story "The Monster."

Oh, and don't forget your former co-conspirator's web page www.shiverbones.com. He's already done a bit of what you're talking about, and done it quite well. thumbsup2.gif

That's the problem I guess. If it can't add value to what's been done, then what's the point? Other than it being a collaborative board effort of course (and fun sharing opinions).

I'd love to have a digital representation of the whole genre, which I think extends beyond "fair use". But it's not like they are making money with the content any more... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nurse Melody at the House of Lunacy has even gone so far listing all of the HOM story titles and such. Lots of pockets of information here and there; I guess I would like to make a more definitive attempt at the whole genre and not just a title.

Still plodding through this...

Sterling

I'm pretty sure single panels or even selected pages would be fine, and covered under the "fair use" standard for copyright purposes. Heck, I even think scanning a short story would be ok, like October did for "The Demon Within." I've been thinking about doing the same for my fave Wally Wood Bronze Horror story "The Monster."

thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm... finding out about the legal ramifications of such a thing may very well be a good project for our very own friendly neighborhood newbie attorney, Mr. October. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm... finding out about the legal ramifications of such a thing may very well be a good project for our very own friendly neighborhood newbie attorney, Mr. October. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK Andy, get your cheap arse out here and provide some value to these boards! shy.gif

thumbsup2.gif

OK Andy, get your cheap arse out here and provide some value to these boards! shy.gif

What do you want to know? If you can post entire stories on here? There aren't many absolutes in law, and this is a grey area. Technically, posting a story does infringe on copyrights, but it's not for profit and not really for competitive use (people would buy the comic anyway and the post wouldn't interfere with that, most of them are long out of print as well). Plus, it could be argued that the stories are posted to facilitate commentary, comic scholarship or review...any of which fall under the fair use protection.

The short answer is that I wouldn't worry about posting an out of print story for the purpose of critical review or "public benefit". Just don't go crazy and I would avoid stuff that is being currently reprinted and on the stands. If you really want to know, ask FFB to check what I said. He specializes in intellectual property.

The short answer is that I wouldn't worry about posting an out of print story for the purpose of critical review or "public benefit". Just don't go crazy and I would avoid stuff that is being currently reprinted and on the stands. If you really want to know, ask FFB to check what I said. He specializes in intellectual property.

Thanks! hail.gif

Thanks! hail.gif

popcorn.gif