• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Post some of your books and let people see.

Thanks for the list. Of my purchases, I think this one exhibits some characteristics I don't see that often (and that only one other book has). Check out the top staple damage and the fanning on the right edge of the book.

For the record, none of the books look any more or less "flat" in the slab than other books of the same age I have personally submitted to CGC.

Is the tip-off the way the cover seems smaller than the interior? To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a pressed book. Oh, and that is a great looking book regardless of pressing. Colors are outstanding. Post 'em in the War thread 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No...I don't believe you can see anything through a slab that would indicate a book has been pressed. If you crack it open and look at it, you might be able to tell but without being able to examine something 1st-hand, I doubt it.

A lot of DC 52-pagers are odd like that, with pages extending beyond the cover, apparent mis-folds, etc.,.

No...I don't believe you can see anything through a slab that would indicate a book has been pressed. If you crack it open and look at it, you might be able to tell but without being able to examine something 1st-hand, I doubt it.

A lot of DC 52-pagers are odd like that, with pages extending beyond the cover, apparent mis-folds, etc.,.

I agree with that statement. You can't really tell unless you have it in your hands.

I agree with that statement. You can't really tell unless you have it in your hands.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree nothing beats having it in your hands, but I still think you can see some obvious signs with scans. confused-smiley-013.gif

Those DC war books went for cheap.

I mentioned earlier, those books would have gone for more had they been on ebay. I only paid $25 for that OAAW 244. In fact, I bought 4 books that were under $30 each. I don't think I could get VF/NM-ish early DC Bronze War raw for much less from any of the big dealers. Let alone a Rosa copy.

Is the tip-off the way the cover seems smaller than the interior? To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a pressed book. Oh, and that is a great looking book regardless of pressing. Colors are outstanding. Post 'em in the War thread 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll put some up later today hopefully.

Those DC war books went for cheap.

I mentioned earlier, those books would have gone for more had they been on ebay. I only paid $25 for that OAAW 244. In fact, I bought 4 books that were under $30 each. I don't think I could get VF/NM-ish early DC Bronze War raw for much less from any of the big dealers. Let alone a Rosa copy.

Very true...and good buys for you!

It was a cheap book, so it wouldn't be a big deal to crack it out. It is just, I am not familiar with pressing, so I don't think I would be able to confirm anything one way or the other.

I thought since I got the books, I'd ask what others impressions of their purchases were. I can see now why the pressing issue involves everyone who buys slabs at some level. I just wouldn't think it would be worth it on books such as these. Do these guys really make that little money in their real jobs that they need to do this? I guess it all adds up though.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree nothing beats having it in your hands, but I still think you can see some obvious signs with scans. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm...CGC says pressing, when done correctly, is pretty much undetectable, and that is with the book in hand, raw.

If you can see obvious signs of pressing in a scan, then that would mean the pressing was not done correctly, the book was damaged, and of course it would not be high grade. I would be curious to see some close-up scans of these obvious signs, because there have been a couple threads about detecting pressing (here's one thread where Pov and I discuss some of the signs of pressing) and I don't ever recall anyone saying they can tell a book has been pressed by looking at it through the slab (scan or not). confused-smiley-013.gif

If you can see obvious signs of pressing in a scan, then that would mean the pressing was not done correctly, the book was damaged, and of course it would not be high grade. I would be curious to see some close-up scans of these obvious signs, because there have been a couple threads about detecting pressing (here's one thread where Pov and I discuss some of the signs of pressing) and I don't ever recall anyone saying they can tell a book has been pressed by looking at it through the slab (scan or not). confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree again. If done professionally the pressing should not be able to detect.

I don't want to turn this into another press thread, but it seems the press job on some of those DR books were sloppy. Rule #1: Don't press a book if it has breaking color creases-be it on corner, spine, etc. Super obvious why. Just look at the TEC 400 9.6 that Ewert had to understand that one.

So yes, if you do it RIGHT, it's hard to discern it. On some of these DR books it didn't look like they were as selective on the criteria.

Obviously it didn't bother me as I bought 8 DR books in that auction, although I had to cower back to Marvel collecting since the DCs went for cwazy money.