• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,915 posts in this topic

DC loved hurting dogs in their 70's books. I don't know why, but there are tons of examples. Here is one....

In reference to Ghosts 13: I keep getting "jinxed" on this one. I missed out on a CGC 9.4 copy two years ago, and lost a bid to a NM- copy recently.... confused-smiley-013.gif

do you want my CGC 8.5 or CGC 9.6? insane.gif

9.6 of course. I just bought two #2s raw. One maybe a 9.0, the other hopefully a 9.4. ----Sid

It's buried somewhere in my disorganized mess. I'll see if I can find it and post it tomorrow....

OK, to conserve bandwidth and be mindful of those not with fast internet access, I'm providing the links for some books that came back

t-52967106.jpg t-52968284.jpg t-52968279.jpg t-52968247.jpg t-52968240.jpg

nice books... i like how you post the small pics of the books as links. whenever i post pics, they come out huge.

OK, to conserve bandwidth and be mindful of those not with fast internet access, I'm providing the links for some books that came back

t-52967106.jpg t-52968284.jpg t-52968279.jpg t-52968247.jpg t-52968240.jpg

Where are the CGC 6.5 copies? insane.gif

Beautiful books guys. I just bought two great copies of that Witching hour #13 at the recent Wondercon. I'm gonna get the better one slabbed.

Question: There are plenty of great artists out there today and in my opinion many equal to the talent of these great 70s cover artists. However, why is it that we don't see anything but "carp" out of horror covers these days? Plenty of superhero books that have outstanding covers. Take a look at many Modern Marvels of the last few years. Some of the best cover work ever in comics in my opinion. But horror? Sheet! Nothing worth a second look AT ALL! Not much in horror out there anyway except for lame vampire books here and there by tiny independants. I guess DC Vertigo has some horror but I never see a good cover. Disappointing at the least. Does anybody have an example of a good Horror cover within the last 20 years? -------Sid

Question: There are plenty of great artists out there today and in my opinion many equal to the talent of these great 70s cover artists. However, why is it that we don't see anything but "carp" out of horror covers these days? Plenty of superhero books that have outstanding covers. Take a look at many Modern Marvels of the last few years. Some of the best cover work ever in comics in my opinion. But horror? Sheet! Nothing worth a second look AT ALL! Not much in horror out there anyway except for lame vampire books here and there by tiny independants. I guess DC Vertigo has some horror but I never see a good cover. Disappointing at the least. Does anybody have an example of a good Horror cover within the last 20 years? -------Sid

Sid, I seem to recall you've been away from the hobby for a few years, and you may not have been paying attention to Vertigo, but have you seen any of the Dave McKean Sandman covers?

We were also recently talking in the Modern forum about the great retro-covers on the current Swamp Thing revival. I think #3 is a letdown, but the first 2 are classics, IMHO

swampthing1.jpg

Swamp%20Thing%202.jpg

Edited by Zonker

No, I never left the hobby but I have not purchased many Moderns over the last several years. Yeah, there are a few OK covers out and I am familiar with McKean's work. It's OK if you like that style of art. Just nothing that I have seen that can compare to these great 70s covers outside of the rare cover here and there. I do like that Swampy cover you posted though. ----Sid

nice books... i like how you post the small pics of the books as links. whenever i post pics, they come out huge.

Actually, the image provider I use stores the image as both a thumbnail and a large pic--I wrap a simple HTML IMG SRC for the thumbnail around a HREF which actually loads the larger image. thumbsup2.gif

Where are the CGC 6.5 copies? insane.gif

Don't mind posting those either, hater! flamed.gif

These books didn't do as well, but still nice copied IMHO.

Notice that the structure of SOSH7 is at least VF+, but there's a large bindery crease on the front cover that pulls it down to FN. The DMFL2 (another favorite Adams cover for me) suffers from dirty back, and FC ULC and BC URC damage and FC top edge damage.

t-52994240.jpg t-52994236.jpg t-52994230.jpg t-52994242.jpg t-52994225.jpg

it blows my mind that PS#14 is not considered a swamp thing prototype. Its written by len wein, so it has as an equal amount of creator input as HOM195, and is just about as swampy as that one too. confused-smiley-013.gif

It looks like more of a Man-Thing prototype than a Swamp Thing prototype. confused.gif

Let's throw up some more Charlton...

Ghostly Tales #99 - Ditko Art

gt99.jpg

Ghostly Tales #108 - Art?

gt108.jpg

Ghostly Tales #115 - Nice Newton Painted Art

gt115.jpg

Jim