• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on buying an AF15

41 posts in this topic

Buy a CGC blue label in 2.0 2.5 or 3.0.

Avoid Cream-Off white pages or worse.

Avoid label notes (detached cover, interior problems etc)

Avoid Marvel Chipping as much as possible.

Avoid pieces missing (corners torn off).

Avoid writing on the cover.

Avoid tape and stains.

Obviously it is a low grade book and will have much wear, but if you look, you will find a nice low grade copy with no huge defects.

Remember, this is a blue chip investment book, you do not want anything that would prevent a future buyer from taking your copy.

I have a very presentable CGC 2.0 with no problems and off-white pages. It is my favorite comic and I am holding it for the long term.

An AF 15 with CR/OW pages with chipping will still sell...

Pretty much any AF15 will sell.

I'm appalled that none of you dorks got my freaking joke. :sorry:

Danger Will Robinson Im assuming.... lol

I was starting to doubt you guy's nerd factor.

Thanks for coming through. (thumbs u

:acclaim:

Your age is showing :baiting:

well umm a guy ALOT older on the block told me about that.yeah thats it

If you haven't already done so, watch the sales of AF#15 for a while before making the purchase. While the prices go up and up, holding off for a few months will give you a better idea of the actual cost of the thing at different grades.

Thanks everyone. Good advice all around. Someone pm'd an interesting idea - that because of he movie reboot, I should wait a while. Thoughts?

People said something similar to me about 4 years ago when I bought my copy, but guess what. The price kept climbing even after SPIDER-MAN #3. I say buy a copy you like as soon asa possible, as long as the price is in-line with current value. I just don't see this puppy dropping in value.

I don't even care about SPIDEY (yeah, yeah, I know - sacrilege), but I own a copy, so that gives you an idea of the popularity of that book.

Be patient though and don't jump on the first copy that comes your way, unless the price is right. There are plenty of AF #15s out there...

(thumbs u

Avoid tape and stains.

Obviously it is a low grade book and will have much wear, but if you look, you will find a nice low grade copy with no huge defects.

Remember, this is a blue chip investment book, you do not want anything that would prevent a future buyer from taking your copy.

I have a very presentable CGC 2.0 with no problems and off-white pages. It is my favorite comic and I am holding it for the long term.

I agree with this, especially slabs. I'm sure the majority could care less about the page quality of a book like this when it's slabbed. On a side note: I often wonder how many slabbed books have actually experienced a degradation in page quality, without anyone knowing. Are ALL of those WP slabs STILL WP after having been kept in less than ideal environments for say 10 years? hm

Avoid tape and stains.

I agree with this, especially slabs. I'm sure the majority could care less about the page quality of a book like this when it's slabbed. On a side note: I often wonder how many slabbed books have actually experienced a degradation in page quality, without anyone knowing. Are ALL of those WP slabs STILL WP after having been kept in less than ideal environments for say 10 years? hm

as long as the AF 15 is complete and unrestored, it will sell no matter what.

buy one WITHOUT (or very minimal) Marvel chipping, it's becoming more and more about eye appeal with this book, I feel.

I'd much rather have some chips that resulted from production and were there the day the comic hit the newstand than creases and stains that would also lead to the lowered numerical grade.

I'd also look for a copy with bright cover colors, clean covers, and no edge tanning.

buy one WITHOUT (or very minimal) Marvel chipping, it's becoming more and more about eye appeal with this book, I feel.

I'd much rather have some chips that resulted from production and were there the day the comic hit the newstand than creases and stains that would also lead to the lowered numerical grade.

I'd also look for a copy with bright cover colors, clean covers, and no edge tanning.

Marvel chipping was not on these books 'the day it hit the newstand'. I believe it took many years to develop, even though it was caused by paper and production...

from marc wilson's website:

Marvel Chipping

A bindery (trimming/cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull. It was dubbed Marvel Chipping because it can be found quite often on Marvel comics from the late '50s and early '60s but can also occur with any company's comic books from the late 1940s through the middle 1960s.

Marvel Chipping

A bindery (trimming/cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull. It was dubbed Marvel Chipping because it can be found quite often on Marvel comics from the late '50s and early '60s but can also occur with any company's comic books from the late 1940s through the middle 1960s.

Yes, it all starts with the bindery cut, but what we would all call serious Marvel Chipping happens when the binder tears on the newstand book go through years of wear, and then break off. It all depends on how the book was treated, the seriousness of the tears from the cut, and how much aging/ tanning the cover undergoes.

The bindery cut tears, in their newstand fresh condition, might be called "pre-marvel chipping", and they dictate how bad the potential marvel chipping can become.

Avoid tape and stains.

+1 Yup, they will sell no matter what.

But those defects listed above are still important. (tsk)

My advice is to look at that list and decide which defects are a deal breaker for YOU.

This is a book YOU have to be happy with. If it has something that bothers you, stay away from it. Period. No matter the price or deal, since you'll always look at it and wish you waited.

As someone else mentioned, there are a ton of AF #15's up for sale. Be patient.

Avoid Cream-Off white pages or worse. This didn't bother me. Mine is Cream-Off White.

Avoid label notes (detached cover, interior problems etc) This didn't bother me either. My cover is detached.

Avoid Marvel Chipping as much as possible. I did NOT want Marvel Chipping.

Avoid pieces missing (corners torn off). This would have bothered me big time if the pieces were large.

Avoid writing on the cover. This would have bothered me big time as well.

Avoid tape and stains. No tape for me either. Tape bothers me.

I'll also add that center eye appeal was important. I'm ok with creases around the edges, but I wanted Spidey to be pretty clear. Plus, it was important to be able to clearly read the word balloons too.

Even with the list of defects I didn't want (no tape, no writing, no Marvel Chipping, no large pieces missing) I was still able to find a low grade affordable copy by being patient.

Good luck! You should be able to get a much nicer copy, as mine was much cheaper than your budget. (thumbs u

MyAF15-2.jpg

Marvel Chipping

Yes, it all starts with the bindery cut, but what we would all call serious Marvel Chipping happens when the binder tears on the newstand book go through years of wear, and then break off. It all depends on how the book was treated, the seriousness of the tears from the cut, and how much aging/ tanning the cover undergoes.

The bindery cut tears, in their newstand fresh condition, might be called "pre-marvel chipping", and they dictate how bad the potential marvel chipping can become.

Nicely phrased. You can see the varying stages even today (they were more differentiated 20-30 years ago) where the "pre-chip" is delineated but only, for example, partially detached or missing. Like historical time-line of chipping.

Avoid tape and stains.

+1 Yup, they will sell no matter what.

But those defects listed above are still important. (tsk)

My advice is to look at that list and decide which defects are a deal breaker for YOU.

This is a book YOU have to be happy with. If it has something that bothers you, stay away from it. Period. No matter the price or deal, since you'll always look at it and wish you waited.

As someone else mentioned, there are a ton of AF #15's up for sale. Be patient.

Avoid Cream-Off white pages or worse. This didn't bother me. Mine is Cream-Off White.

Avoid label notes (detached cover, interior problems etc) This didn't bother me either. My cover is detached.

Avoid Marvel Chipping as much as possible. I did NOT want Marvel Chipping.

Avoid pieces missing (corners torn off). This would have bothered me big time if the pieces were large.

Avoid writing on the cover. This would have bothered me big time as well.

Avoid tape and stains. No tape for me either. Tape bothers me.

I'll also add that center eye appeal was important. I'm ok with creases around the edges, but I wanted Spidey to be pretty clear. Plus, it was important to be able to clearly read the word balloons too.

Even with the list of defects I didn't want (no tape, no writing, no Marvel Chipping, no large pieces missing) I was still able to find a low grade affordable copy by being patient.

Good luck! You should be able to get a much nicer copy, as mine was much cheaper than your budget. (thumbs u

MyAF15-2.jpg

This is a cerebral post. :hail:

If anyone is going to lay down at least 1 or 2K (for an uber low grade copy)--or much MORE for a higher than super low grade copy (:insane:)--might as well do some thinking, reflecting, and research. My copy also has cream to off-white pages and a detached cover. But it also has some horrendous chipping all around the book and pieces of the spine missing. :eek: There's even some lovely staining from water damage. However, there is NO writing or tape. :preach: And it is a blue label 0.5--and complete. Quite simply, it was all I could afford (raising funds through the selling of my most valuable comic). But I am thrilled to have it, and though I'll likely upgrade (hopefully soon), I'll probably keep this copy.

What's great about this grade--the CGC 0.5--is your upgrade potential is terribly tremendous. :kidaround:

What advice do you need to buy an AF 15? It's Spidey's 1st appearance and the premiere book of the SA for crying out loud! Any copy in any grade would be a gem in one's collection

Hey! I've been stalking the AF #15 club thread recently--all 400-plus pages of it...you used to be in the club with at least 4 copies. :think:

Bat books are sweet indeed, but get back in the club! :sumo:

never get too stuck on the CGC label...

I had in mind that I was going to buy only a 7.0 of this book.

And I saw the best 6.5 on this planet and had to hit it!

Matter o' fact when I saw how beautiful that book was in the scans

I didn't want to trust the postal service so I drove a 1100 mile trip in 2 days

(from NC to AL).

AF 15 hm

I have bought and sold a myriad of copies, from 2.0 to 8.0, all in the past year or two...

what I personally try to do is buy copies without marvel chipping, but that in no way should dispell someone from buying them with...one only needs to realize that there should not be a premium attached to a 3.0 with marvel chipping, as compared to a 3.0 without...

PQ...p-shaw... one day a cr/ow could be called ow, and vice versa... all you really should worry about on PQ is that it is not brittle...even slightly brittle, on the right copy, is ok, but again, should not be valued at any premium and likely a discounted price... but, the point is, it is FINE to buy if you like the book and the price...

all the rest is aesthitics... if you like the copy, if you like the price, buy it... that is pretty much the only advice a buyer of AF15 needs (and I will admit I didn't read the previous 4 pages of responses)...

What advice do you need to buy an AF 15? It's Spidey's 1st appearance and the premiere book of the SA for crying out loud! Any copy in any grade would be a gem in one's collection

Hey! I've been stalking the AF #15 club thread recently--all 400-plus pages of it...you used to be in the club with at least 4 copies. :think:

Bat books are sweet indeed, but get back in the club! :sumo:

Yes, I used to be in the club numerous times and boy I'd love to own one again. I'm shooting for a 6.5 or 7.0 (if possible) next time around. Had to sell my previous copies to fund for my GA collection :grin: I'll jump on the bandwagon soon enough. I just need to figure out how to raise $30k or so hm