• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

19 posts in this topic

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007269?refCatId=13

Warner Bros. and DC Comics have lost a little more control over the Man of Steel.

In an ongoing Federal court battle over Superman, Judge Stephen Larson ruled Wednesday that the family of the superhero's co-creator, Jerry Siegel, has "successfully recaptured" rights to additional works, including the first two weeks of the daily Superman newspaper comic-strips, as well as portions of early Action Comics and Superman comic-books.

The ruling is based on the court's finding that these were not "works-made-for-hire" under the Copyright Act.

This means the Siegels -- repped by Marc Toberoff of Toberoff & Associates -- now control depictions of Superman's origins from the planet Krypton, his parents Jor-El and Lora, Superman as the infant Kal-El, the launching of the infant Superman into space by his parents as Krypton explodes and his landing on Earth in a fiery crash.

The first Superman story was published in 1938 in Action Comics No. 1. For $130, Jerry Siegel and co-creator Joel Shuster signed a release in favor of DC's predecessor, Detective Comics, and a 1974 court decision ruled they signed away their copyrights forever.

In 2008, the same court order ruled on summary judgment that the Siegels had successfully recaptured (as of 1999) Siegel's copyright in Action Comics No. 1, giving them rights to the Superman character, including his costume, his alter-ego as reporter Clark Kent, the feisty reporter Lois Lane, their jobs at the Daily Planet newspaper working for a gruff editor, and the love triangle among Clark/Superman and Lois.

While ownership of the Man of Steel is one point of all this legal activity, the real issue is money and how much Warner Bros. and DC owe the Siegels from profits they collected from Superman since 1999, when the heirs' recapture of Siegel's copyright became effective.

DC owns other elements like Superman's ability to fly, the term kryptonite, the Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen characters, Superman's powers and expanded origins.

In a statement, Warner Bros. and DC said, "Warner and DC Comics are pleased that the court has affirmed that the vast majority of key elements associated with the Superman character that were developed after Action Comics No. 1 are not part of the copyrights that the plaintiffs have recaptured and therefore remain solely owned by DC Comics."

The Shuster estate originally did not participate with the Siegels' case because Shuster has no spouse or children. But his estate later won a ruling of a recapture identical to the Siegels, which will be effective in 2013. At that point, the Siegels and Shusters will own the entire copyright to Action Comics No. 1. That will give them the chance to set up Superman pics, TV shows and other projects at another studio.

If they want to get a new "Superman" or even "Justice League" pic featuring the superhero, Warner Bros. and DC will be forced to go into production by 2011.

If they want to get a new "Superman" or even "Justice League" pic featuring the superhero, Warner Bros. and DC will be forced to go into production by 2011.

Huh? How does that follow?

Same reason Fox had to put out a new X-Men movie before Marvel got the rights back. I believe the same goes for the Fantastic Four as well.

Same reason Fox had to put out a new X-Men movie before Marvel got the rights back. I believe the same goes for the Fantastic Four as well.

But the way I read this, DC didn't lose rights to anything related to Superman more recent than the 1930s strips that found their way into Action #1 and a few later books. So while the Siegels could arguably make a deal in 2013 for a "Golden Age Superman" film, I don't see why this would prevent DC from making a film of their version, any more than they would have to stop publishing the monthly comics.

hm

Might explain why they been promoting Batman and Green Lantern more the last few years as they saw the writing on the wall, They don`t have to worry about this ownership mess with Batman. This makes Batman the better pick over the next 20 years,as who will be promoted better Batman by Warner or Superman by a mom and pop Siegel estate?

Um...isn't this news pretty old???

A later ruling (remember, this article is old), stated that the Seigels were complaining about DC not using Superman to his fullest, and the judge agreed, saying that if they didn't get making the next Superman movie, he'd lay more fines on DC.

Warner Bros. and DC Comics have lost a little more control over the Man of Steel.

In an ongoing Federal court battle over Superman, Judge Stephen Larson ruled Wednesday that the family of the superhero's co-creator, Jerry Siegel, has "successfully recaptured" rights to additional works, including the first two weeks of the daily Superman newspaper comic-strips, as well as portions of early Action Comics and Superman comic-books.

The ruling is based on the court's finding that these were not "works-made-for-hire" under the Copyright Act.

This means the Siegels -- repped by Marc Toberoff of Toberoff & Associates -- now control depictions of Superman's origins from the planet Krypton, his parents Jor-El and Lora, Superman as the infant Kal-El, the launching of the infant Superman into space by his parents as Krypton explodes and his landing on Earth in a fiery crash.

The first Superman story was published in 1938 in Action Comics No. 1. For $130, Jerry Siegel and co-creator Joel Shuster signed a release in favor of DC's predecessor, Detective Comics, and a 1974 court decision ruled they signed away their copyrights forever.

In 2008, the same court order ruled on summary judgment that the Siegels had successfully recaptured (as of 1999) Siegel's copyright in Action Comics No. 1, giving them rights to the Superman character, including his costume, his alter-ego as reporter Clark Kent, the feisty reporter Lois Lane, their jobs at the Daily Planet newspaper working for a gruff editor, and the love triangle among Clark/Superman and Lois.

While ownership of the Man of Steel is one point of all this legal activity, the real issue is money and how much Warner Bros. and DC owe the Siegels from profits they collected from Superman since 1999, when the heirs' recapture of Siegel's copyright became effective.

DC owns other elements like Superman's ability to fly, the term kryptonite, the Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen characters, Superman's powers and expanded origins.

In a statement, Warner Bros. and DC said, "Warner and DC Comics are pleased that the court has affirmed that the vast majority of key elements associated with the Superman character that were developed after Action Comics No. 1 are not part of the copyrights that the plaintiffs have recaptured and therefore remain solely owned by DC Comics."

The Shuster estate originally did not participate with the Siegels' case because Shuster has no spouse or children. But his estate later won a ruling of a recapture identical to the Siegels, which will be effective in 2013. At that point, the Siegels and Shusters will own the entire copyright to Action Comics No. 1. That will give them the chance to set up Superman pics, TV shows and other projects at another studio.

This article is from 2009 :shy:

This article is from 2009 :shy:

how will this affect the sales of Action #1s lol:ohnoez:

I think Ares is pulling a donaldblake on us.

Holly shiaaaaaaaatttt I dint notice that

I understand your trepidation. With the rapid fire media blitz that Mr. 9.8 throws out there, it must be hard for you to live up to the FORUM CRIER label. I can see why it would be tempting to dip into 2009 for some "fresh" news.

I understand your trepidation. With the rapid fire media blitz that Mr. 9.8 throws out there, it must be hard for you to live up to the FORUM CRIER label. I can see why it would be tempting to dip into 2009 for some "fresh" news.

lol

hm

The real reason behind the DC reboot?

A plan hatched in 2009 by the suits at DC to once again have their very own Action Comics #1, free and clear?

Inquiring minds demand to know. :hi:

lol

hm

A plan hatched in 2009 by the suits at DC to once again have their very own Action Comics #1, free and clear?

I think this may have merit to the reboot.

lol

hm

I think this may have merit to the reboot.

That's not a bad theory.