• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least Favorite of Relative Importance

55 posts in this topic

out of those 3 i can now appreciate ff #1-55, but still don't care for them that much confused-smiley-013.gif

come now awe4one, doesn't that help at all? angel.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif You should give Vol 1 #120-165 a try....some good stuff there as well.

Jim

out of those 3 i can now appreciate ff #1-55, but still don't care for them that much confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif You should give Vol 1 #120-165 a try....some good stuff there as well.

Jim

sleeping.gif I quit at 150 back in the day! tongue.gif

Jim

Then you missed a great Surfer/Dr Doom story and the Alternate Earth Reed and Ben.... 893frustrated.gif

Jim

Jim

Then you missed a great Surfer/Dr Doom story and the Alternate Earth Reed and Ben.... 893frustrated.gif

Jim

No I didn't! tongue.gif

Jim

Jim

No I didn't! tongue.gif

mad.gif Well I liked them! sumo.gif

Jim

You mean praise. The Batman movie (#3, or whatever) with the Penguin really cemented it for me. Probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Another lame DC villain. And Superman, how do you write story lines for 60 years when the guy is basically invincible. Jimmy Olsen, Bizzaro, etc, etc. Have to pick up one of those GA issues where he rescues a cat from a tree. sleeping.gif

I expected a few people would agree with me on Superman, but I didn't expect anyone else to agree with me on Batman.

You're spot on with Superman, his total invincibility/omnipotence makes him incredibly boring. I think it was Rick Veitch who did a great indy B&W book at one time (the name of which escapes me right now) extrapolating on what the world would really be like with a Superman-like all-powerful hero. He theorized that actually the world would go to hell and people would completely be negligent and not worry about things like safety precautions anymore because they knew he'd bail them out all the time. His take on teen sidekicks in Bratpack was even more interesting (and twisted and disturbing).

Which actually leads me now to say that the characters I like least are all kid and teen sidekicks. Maybe Wertham was right... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say that the Hulk is my least favorite character. I like him more when he's "smart" Hulk, but "dumb" Hulk just doesn't do it for me.

The Hulk sleeping.gif is also my least favourite marvel character.

Silver Surfer and just about every other 'space' Super-hero or Villain. And Mutants...I just can't stand all these darn New Mutants. Kill them all! Especially that stupid Canucklehead! Just kidding about all Mutants, but the majority of them outside the X-men core should be off'd IMHO. Last, but not least Alpha Flight in its current form. All of them should die a very horrible death in Alpha Flight #3. sumo.gif

Like least:

Marvel: Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men

DC: Green Lantern, Batman, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Hawkman

Like most:

Marvel: Fantastic Four, Captain America

DC: Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think it was Rick Veitch who did a great indy B&W book at one time (the name of which escapes me right now) extrapolating on what the world would really be like with a Superman-like all-powerful hero. He theorized that actually the world would go to hell and people would completely be negligent and not worry about things like safety precautions anymore because they knew he'd bail them out all the time. His take on teen sidekicks in Bratpack was even more interesting (and twisted and disturbing).

Veitch is the man! You're either talking about "The One" or (more likely) "Maxi-mortal". Both great stories! thumbsup2.gif

Not directed at anyone in particular but I am shocked at how many people feel that characters like Iron Man, Thor and the FF4 are their least favorite. Curious to know why? Is it because you've only had the chance to read a certain era or maybe you bought a string of issues where the art just turned you off? confused-smiley-013.gif There are so many good story line threads through out the years and artists who have produced some of their best work in these issues that I'm stunned to see such a negative reaction.

Not directed at anyone in particular but I am shocked at how many people feel that characters like Iron Man, Thor and the FF4 are their least favorite. Curious to know why?

I'll admit that I don't have an affinity for IM or Thor either.....

IM's solo book was hampered by silly storylines and pretty bad art (sorry....I'm not a Tuska fan) when I was kid. I much preferred him as a member of the Avengers which had some kickass storylines at the time.

And Thor never did it for me. I'm not sure if it was the stilted language or the whole Norse mythos. I never cared for it as a kid though I did like the title when I restarted collecting in the mid-80s.

If the characters didn't hook me as a child, I tend to not hold them in great esteem now. Can't explain it other than maybe nostalgia plays a part. confused-smiley-013.gif

Now not liking the Fantastic Four though? That's Blasphemy Dammit! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim