• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Guest, D-Con '74 (can anyone help me put a name to this photo?)

earlyconphotos-35.jpg

Is that Carl Barks?

hm No, I think that this gentleman may have been either B-western star Monte Hall or a Republic serial star/stuntman (Jim Bannon or I. Stanford Jolley), all of whom were guests of the American Nostalgia Convention (I may have referred to this one as D-Con because prior Dallas conventions had been under that name in years past and the name "D-Con" would rise again before the end of the decade); Larry Herndon was the con Chair of this convention ('74).

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Fyi, there are a lot of articles in news archives about comic fandom from around 1964 onward, including a lot of articles about conventions in the 60s and 70s. Saw them while trying to find info on comic record purchases.

Fyi, there are a lot of articles in news archives about comic fandom from around 1964 onward, including a lot of articles about conventions in the 60s and 70s. Saw them while trying to find info on comic record purchases.

Excellent! :applause:

The more links the merrier, so please feel free to provide them! (thumbs u

hm Another fan or dealer whose name eludes me (maybe one of the Harper brothers?). (shrug)

Any help establishing the identities of folks is greatly appreciated! :hi:

earlyconphotos-3.jpg

BTW, if no one guesses the con-guest from the previous posted image I'll spill the beans later tonight (hint: actor). (thumbs u

hm Another fan or dealer whose name eludes me (maybe one of the Harper brothers?). (shrug)

earlyconphotos-3.jpg

BTW, if no one guesses the con-guest from the previous posted image I'll spill the beans later tonight (hint: actor). (thumbs u

Meatloaf? :shrug:

earlyconphotos-3.jpg

Meatloaf? :shrug:

Sean Harmon?

I don't recall having posted this one yet; I know who it is, do you? (everyone is invited to guess) groucho.gif

earlyconphotos-39.jpg

Howard Morris (shrug)

Did you know Wilt Conine?

The actor was William "Whitey" Benedict from the East Side Kids, Bowery Boys and Adventures of Captain Marvel Serial among the many character roles he played before and after being a guest at the American Nostalgia Convention.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0070827/

In answer to your second question, yes. I've known Wilt since 1969. I traveled with him to at least one of HoustonCons in the early 70's where I recall him buying a copy of Action #1. He attended one of the OAF reunions three or four years ago and as far as I know he's still around and doing well, but I haven't seen him since.

And yes, the self portrait of Dorian Grey is hanging in my closet. :preach:lol

Is it just me or do people look happier back then?

They were happier, as was I when I went to shows in the 70s, because the books were plentiful, raw, and cheap :cloud9:

Very true, Bill, and you didn't have to have much money to have a good time if the comics you wanted were beyond your means. At Houstoncon, which was a 5 day convention at it's peak, there was 24 hour multi-track film programming (16mm & 35mm) that included rare serials, classic movies and even amateur film contests. Some folks just crashed in the film rooms if they couldn't afford the hotel or didn't have a bunch of buddies offering crash space. I know, because I did it more than once (I was the epitome of the poor college student trying to get by back then on a very tight budget).

Fond memories. :cloud9:

The film rooms were a fun part of shows in those days. I enjoyed watching the old sci-fi films and star trek bloopers etc in there with other fans. Shows were focused on fun and shared interest in a great hobby. The commercial aspect was not really much of a factor, at least for me it wasn't The panels were also a blast to attend.

In answer to your second question, yes. I've known Wilt since 1969. I traveled with him to at least one of HoustonCons in the early 70's where I recall him buying a copy of Action #1. He attended one of the OAF reunions three or four years ago and as far as I know he's still around and doing well, but I haven't seen him since.

Wilt was a HS teacher, although not mine nor did I attend his school; but a friend of mine did. I remember going to Wilt's house. I was probably in 9th or 10th grade so around 1978 or so (I know it was before I had a driver's license as my mom would drop me off there).

He took me to his garage where I had never seen so many boxes of books. It wan't too orderly which made it even more exciting. I spent hours there on different visits. I bought the book below from him and still have it.

I remember mispronouncing his last name and calling him Mr. "Conan" - his name is pronounced Conine (like Co and the number 9). He politely corrected me but I thought Conan sounded pretty cool for Wilt - especially with his beard and all.

He also told me about Alan Light's Buyer's Guide which I subscribed to. Some few years ago, I got rid of all those issues. Just didn't have any room for them and I kick myself for that all the time. I had been a subscriber since the late 70s.

2387670310102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

The film rooms were a fun part of shows in those days. I enjoyed watching the old sci-fi films and star trek bloopers etc in there with other fans. Shows were focused on fun and shared interest in a great hobby. The commercial aspect was not really much of a factor, at least for me it wasn't The panels were also a blast to attend.

The first time I ever saw the Star Trek bloopers was at a show at age 12. The other screening that sticks out for me was a print of the Outer Limits episode The Chameleon, which looked especially fantastic in the days of rabbit-eared UHF reception.

If I have time to day I'll have to find some of my old show photos.

Great thread! :applause:

My wife and I watched "The Rescuers" in the film room at the Houston Con in 1978 or 1979. It wasn't a fancy theater but we both enjoyed the movie. She liked the SciFi part of the convention, the Disney stuff and was/is a Star Trek Fan and I am the hopeless comic geek, BLB, old time radio and movie fan.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

My wife and I watched "The Rescuers" in the film room at the Houston Con in 1978 or 1979. It wasn't a fancy theater but we both enjoyed the movie. She liked the SciFi part of the convention, the Disney stuff and was/is a Star Trek Fan and I am the hopeless comic geek, BLB, old time radio and movie fan.

bb

I was at both of those. Houston 78 was my first major con--we were actually set up there selling.

Wilt was a HS teacher, although not mine nor did I attend his school; but a friend of mine did. I remember going to Wilt's house. I was probably in 9th or 10th grade so around 1978 or so (I know it was before I had a driver's license as my mom would drop me off there).

He took me to his garage where I had never seen so many boxes of books. It wan't too orderly which made it even more exciting. I spent hours there on different visits. I bought the book below from him and still have it.

I remember mispronouncing his last name and calling him Mr. "Conan" - his name is pronounced Conine (like Co and the number 9). He politely corrected me but I thought Conan sounded pretty cool for Wilt - especially with his beard and all.

He also told me about Alan Light's Buyer's Guide which I subscribed to. Some few years ago, I got rid of all those issues. Just didn't have any room for them and I kick myself for that all the time. I had been a subscriber since the late 70s.

2387670310102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

lol Mr. "Conan" is much closer than you think; as I recall he was a high school wrestling coach back when I knew him. I probably handled that very book as most of the OAF members had the fortune of looking through his Timely collection when club meetings were held at his home.

I'm going to test how good my memory is now. hm

My recollection is that he lived on NW 80th Street in OKC, at least back in the late 60's and early 70's; if that's right then I remember his house number as well, but I won't post it since as far as I know he and/or other members of his family still reside there.