• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Con

68 posts in this topic

Dang it, Katey Sagal canceled for Dragon Con this year :(

That sucks, but I'm still holding out hope that they have more to add. They tend to add people right up to the last week before the show.

I'm still a little underwhelmed by the overall guest list but glad to see I might get another shot at J Scott Campbell and as of right now it looks like maybe 3 celebrity guest that I might spend some money on.

For those attending, who would you want to see there since this should be a big 25th anniversary blow out?

I would like to see them try and bring back some of the people that were at the early shows. No one in particular but at least say thanks to those that made Dragon Con into what it is today.

DWC is looking forward to returning to Atlanta again. This was a fun show last year even though we didn't see much of it. We plan to speed the first 2 days checking everything out this year. For those who will need something witnessed we will have our CAW with us to witness signatures.

Do they sell comics at this show?

Used to be a bunch of us that set up in the early days of Dragon Con. But it got so crazy with the costumes and stuff that it seemed no one cared about comics.

So we stopped going. :sumo:

Do they sell comics at this show?

Used to be a bunch of us that set up in the early days of Dragon Con. But it got so crazy with the costumes and stuff that it seemed no one cared about comics.

So we stopped going. :sumo:

Seriously. Every year it seemed like it dwindled down more and more. Now you are lucky to get two or three comic dealers in the dealers' room and yeah the guy over in the corner with the playboys is a staple now, :lol:

Wish more would come back but I don't think the crowd that Dragon Con draws now a days is really there to buy comics.

Guest Grails
Going to Dragon Con for the first time this year with the wife & 10-year old daughter. Any tips & pointers from you veterans out there?

I used to live in Georgia but never attended a Dragon Con. It would have been great to meet you there, Michael.

I've been going forever. Are you going to be there on Thursday or coming in on Friday? Badge pickup is suppose to be high-tech scanners this year, a new attempt to speed things up, but Friday morning first thing it usually takes a couple of hours to get through the line. I usually show up at 7 am for 8 am door opening and it is already halfway around the block.

It gets very crowded very quick just about anywhere too.

Going to Dragon Con for the first time this year with the wife & 10-year old daughter. Any tips & pointers from you veterans out there?

I used to live in Georgia but never attended a Dragon Con. It would have been great to meet you there, Michael.

Likewise, Charlie :thumbsup:

Mayor: We're driving in Thursday - can we pick up badges that day, or do we have to wait till Friday?

Make sure you have a list of people you want to see.

And make sure you have enough money for the con.

Since this will be your little girl's first con,make sure she has a good time.

(spoil her with stuff from the con ;) )

Thanks - she's been to a ton of shows with me previously, though. As it's our first time going to Dragon Con, however, I was wondering whether there was anything specific about this particular show I should know about ...

Thanks - she's been to a ton of shows with me previously, though. As it's our first time going to Dragon Con, however, I was wondering whether there was anything specific about this particular show I should know about ...

It all depends on what you plan to do.

I can't speak much for the dealer room as I hardly ever go in there. I found it very crowded.

Do what you can to learn the layout of the show. It's split among 4 hotels and it's easy to get turned around. The comic guest room and the celebrity guest room are on opposite sides of the convention area and can take as many as 10 minutes to travel from one side to the other if you get stuck in foot traffic. Many times it's faster to leave the building and walk on the street rather than wade through the sea of costumed people.

Regarding costumes...if you're not wearing a costume, you're in a minority here. BRING A CAMERA. Have it ready to go when you walk from area to area. You'll get some fun photos.

Saturday morning is the parade. I find this is the best time to get signatures from the celebrity room as most fans are out watching the parade. Once the room fills up, it's tough to navigate, so I try to get in and out as fast as possible.

If you get a program before the show, take some time to familiarize yourself with it. The past two years, the format of the program has been very confusing...many listings are not in a logical order. If there's a panel you want to see or a person you want to meet, make sure you check the panel and be there on time. Don't count on the volunteers to know anything. Ask a fan in costume if you're looking for a certain area.

Finally, I'm told they're trying trying out a new system to try to speed up the admission area. Let's all hope it works. Last year, the line for badges was supposed to be open from 3pm to 8pm (or something close to it). They opened the line early and wondered why they got a rush at 3pm (they didn't tell anyone the line would be open early) but due to the slow nature of the line, they capped it at around 6 because they estimated it'd take until around 10pm for the last people to make it through the line. The year before, it took 2.5 hours to get through the line. Long story short, the organizers don't have an efficient method of distributing badges and it can take several hours. Get in line as early as possible so you don't miss anything.

Michael, will you be set up as a dealer or walking around as a fan? Marvelfangirl, will you be there?

It all depends on what you plan to do.

I can't speak much for the dealer room as I hardly ever go in there. I found it very crowded.

Do what you can to learn the layout of the show. It's split among 4 hotels and it's easy to get turned around. The comic guest room and the celebrity guest room are on opposite sides of the convention area and can take as many as 10 minutes to travel from one side to the other if you get stuck in foot traffic. Many times it's faster to leave the building and walk on the street rather than wade through the sea of costumed people.

Regarding costumes...if you're not wearing a costume, you're in a minority here. BRING A CAMERA. Have it ready to go when you walk from area to area. You'll get some fun photos.

Saturday morning is the parade. I find this is the best time to get signatures from the celebrity room as most fans are out watching the parade. Once the room fills up, it's tough to navigate, so I try to get in and out as fast as possible.

If you get a program before the show, take some time to familiarize yourself with it. The past two years, the format of the program has been very confusing...many listings are not in a logical order. If there's a panel you want to see or a person you want to meet, make sure you check the panel and be there on time. Don't count on the volunteers to know anything. Ask a fan in costume if you're looking for a certain area.

Finally, I'm told they're trying trying out a new system to try to speed up the admission area. Let's all hope it works. Last year, the line for badges was supposed to be open from 3pm to 8pm (or something close to it). They opened the line early and wondered why they got a rush at 3pm (they didn't tell anyone the line would be open early) but due to the slow nature of the line, they capped it at around 6 because they estimated it'd take until around 10pm for the last people to make it through the line. The year before, it took 2.5 hours to get through the line. Long story short, the organizers don't have an efficient method of distributing badges and it can take several hours. Get in line as early as possible so you don't miss anything.

Michael, will you be set up as a dealer or walking around as a fan? Marvelfangirl, will you be there?

No :(

Very good advice :thumbsup: every bit.

One other thing I will point out, the later it gets the more "interesting" some of the costumes get and some may be a bit more (or less) than what you want to expose your child to.