• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree status or higher grade

65 posts in this topic

I'll try and explain this as clearly as i can but i dont want to give myself away to the parties involved so i cant give the exact details. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his who is also a comic collector. I went through his collection and was impressed with the range and the amount of high grade comics that he had. He told me that most had been pressed which was an honest admission but what he told me next shocked me. He said that several of them were pedigree copies and he deliberately did not send the original label in because he thought that CGC would just assign the same grade they gave it the first time round and that collectors were more likely to pay more for a comic that was say now a 9.6 against a pedigree comic with a grade of 9.4. Does anybody agree with this statement and does anybody know how common this is. If this is rife then some of our pedigree copies are going to be lost forever although he seems to think that collectors are not too concerned with this. Thoughts?

I'll try and explain this as clearly as i can but i dont want to give myself away to the parties involved so i cant give the exact details. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his who is also a comic collector. I went through his collection and was impressed with the range and the amount of high grade comics that he had. He told me that most had been pressed which was an honest admission but what he told me next shocked me. He said that several of them were pedigree copies and he deliberately did not send the original label in because he thought that CGC would just assign the same grade they gave it the first time round and that collectors were more likely to pay more for a comic that was say now a 9.6 against a pedigree comic with a grade of 9.4. Does anybody agree with this statement and does anybody know how common this is. If this is rife then some of our pedigree copies are going to be lost forever although he seems to think that collectors are not too concerned with this. Thoughts?

He's an eejit. (thumbs u

He doesn't understand the grading process and as a consequence, he's lost many Pedigree books to the collecting community.

:tonofbricks: A good case of someone with lots of dollars and no cents.

I mean really, how can you play the cpr game and still be that ignorant of the grading process.

Provenance is important. When available it provides the sort of historical context that is normally lost.

I mean, I even keep track of from whom I buy my books. That information, I'd pass onto future owners -- probably very mild OCD on my part.

I'd love it if I knew who originally owned the book (maybe that's why I don't mind filled-in coupons on forty year old books).

Losing the historical link to change a 9.4 into a 9.6 -- I mean really, what do you fix with a press at that level? Someone took out a subtle bend or a dimple in exchange for a historical link?

People can do what they want with what they own, but still, not cool. :sumo:

He is both a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He could have received both the grade bump and the pedigree designation. The funny thing is if he is mainly interested in the value of his collection, he just lost about a 20% bump by not preserving the pedigree. Serves him right, insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his who is also a comic collector.
Okay, spill it!

What's the name of the Friend of a friend so we can have a little talk with him?

angrybat.gifangrybat.gifangrybat.gif

He is both a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He could have received both the grade bump and the pedigree designation. The funny thing is if he is mainly interested in the value of his collection, he just lost about a 20% bump by not preserving the pedigree. Serves him right, insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I love it when you talk dirty :luhv:

Since we don't know the pedigree, I will make this comment. If it's a Mohawk Valley,Savannah, or any of the other drek pedigrees he probably did everyone a favor. However, if it's one of the 'real' pedigrees this is a selfish, stupid act.

Since we don't know the pedigree, I will make this comment. If it's a Mohawk Valley,Savannah, or any of the other drek pedigrees he probably did everyone a favor. However, if it's one of the 'real' pedigrees this is a selfish, stupid act.

I love the Savannah collection. Not everyone is looking for the same qualities that you are. For you to deem which pedigrees are 'worthy' of keeping around is no different than the OPs 'friend' imo.

I love the Savannah collection. Not everyone is looking for the same qualities that you are. For you to deem which pedigrees are 'worthy' of keeping around is no different than the OPs 'friend' imo.

Agreed, I think my comment is directed more at CGC for recognizing so many collections as pedigrees. I'd like to see some of them 'taken back'.

Less information about a comic never does anyone good.

One of these days I'm going to have to study the whole 'pedigree' history of comics. I have a basic understanding of what you're all talking about, and of the significance of what was lost. Being new to CGC comic collecting, I have a lot of catching up to do and a lot of upgrading before I start thinking about which pedigree's I want to buy. Anyone have site suggestions or links along this line that might help educate?