• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree status or higher grade

65 posts in this topic

I'm too poor to own pedigree books ( I have just one and it's a Savannah). But I think the guy has a right to do whatever he wants with his books. If he wants to lose the designation, so be it. It's his loss since those books remain in his collection.

But they won't remain in his collection. Unless I misunderstood, he purchaed the books as an investment and ultimately the only way the realize the gain, or loss, on the investment is to sell the books. So, your point is moot.

I'm too poor to own pedigree books ( I have just one and it's a Savannah). But I think the guy has a right to do whatever he wants with his books. If he wants to lose the designation, so be it. It's his loss since those books remain in his collection.

It's every collector that cares about pedigrees loss, actually

I see your point, but why care about someone else's books? Unless I planned on buying/owning them one day, I wouldn't. Just my 2c

he doesn't sound like a collector to me, he's ruining the history of the pedigrees. :pullhair::screwy: i pray that none were pac coast. :wishluck:

Yep im afraid that collection was mentioned.

I think it's pretty well known that the Pacific Coast books have mostly been pressed. He probably lost the designation while having them pressed a second time.

Really? :o How do you know that?

I see your point, but why care about someone else's books? Unless I planned on buying/owning them one day, I wouldn't. Just my 2c

Because many people care about things that negatively impact our hobby, whether they're personally affected by it or not

Since we don't know the pedigree, I will make this comment. If it's a Mohawk Valley,Savannah, or any of the other drek pedigrees he probably did everyone a favor. However, if it's one of the 'real' pedigrees this is a selfish, stupid act.

I love the Savannah collection. Not everyone is looking for the same qualities that you are. For you to deem which pedigrees are 'worthy' of keeping around is no different than the OPs 'friend' imo.

Im tryin only to buy my Hulks from Green to get the " Green " pedigree designation :)

he doesn't sound like a collector to me, he's ruining the history of the pedigrees. :pullhair::screwy: i pray that none were pac coast. :wishluck:

I think it's pretty well known that the Pacific Coast books have mostly been pressed. He probably lost the designation while having them pressed a second time.

I thought it was common knowledge as I've certainly heard it numerous times. Maybe it is just an urban myth??????

I thought it was common knowledge as I've certainly heard it numerous times. Maybe it is just an urban myth??????

I've heard that said on here a few times, too

I have no Pedigree books yet, but I love history and the significance attached to it. Theoretically I could buy one of these books and wouldn't even be aware of what I have, aside from the title and grade.

I have no Pedigree books yet, but I love history and the significance attached to it. Theoretically I could buy one of these books and wouldn't even be aware of what I have, aside from the title and grade.

I very much doubt I'll ever own a "pedigree" book but I think it's a crying shame for a book to lose its pedigree status due to unabashed greed :cry:

For me the most interesting part of a "pedigree" book is the social history that is attached to them. I find it fascinating to think that some young kid bought his favourite comics from the local store, read them, loved them and went to the effort to store them away carefully…only for them to be discovered decades later like some long-lost treasure trove.

This was way before collecting comics was common place and is so far removed from the "dreaded speculator phase" as you can get. You can pretty much guarantee that these comics were loved for the story and art and not for some perceived value.

Isn't this the same reason as 99.9% of us first started reading/collecting comics?

Sorry to meander...

Cheers

PCC

I just came across this subject so am reviving the topic.

One of the most fascinating aspects of collecting for me is the provenance of pedigree collections. It's wonderful to read and learn about the history of a specific collection, even if I don't own any from it (are you ever going to publish that book, Matt Nelson?).

To intentionally remove the pedigree of a comic from one of these collections is to delete its history for all time, which is a shame. Are the few extra bucks really worth that, if the grade even gets bumped at all? I might pay as much or more for a pedigree 9.4 than for an anonymous 9.6 simply because the pedigree comic is more interesting to me as a collector as a piece of history from our hobby.

I totally agree with you. Historically, I have seen ped books resubbed without the pedigree status but that was done to remain stealth. The thought process was the ped would be recognized and therefore obvious the book was pressed and resubbed, possibly lowering the value. However, I think today's climate of acceptance for the practice of a press and resub may discourage future incidents of dropping the ped status. Today, The ped status probably holds more value than the grade bump. It's all about the money for most.

If collectors won't pay as much if not more for a pedigree book one grade increment lower than an average non-pedigree copy, then the pedigree probably isn't worth the designation.

If collectors won't pay as much if not more for a pedigree book one grade increment lower than an average non-pedigree copy, then the pedigree probably isn't worth the designation.

If you're referring to stealthy resubmissions, there's no reason for them, as inclusion of the old label will ensure that the pedigree designation is maintained.

My Amazing Spider-man 4 is a pedigree. I remember buying it with some certificate and notation on the bag at a Big Apple Comic Con in the late 90's, early 00's. The dealer was going on about it being special as a Pedigree book. I just wanted to knock another book off my buy list.

I have no idea what pedigree it is. You see, I did not care much about a Pedigree as I just wanted to fill that gap in my ASM run at the time. The bag and board were swapped out many years before I ever sent it to CGC. It is currently sitting unpressed in a 5.0 holder.

I am guessing that at this point that information is forever lost.

I always wonder if it is impossible to figure out what pedigree it belongs to.

I only have 3 pedigrees in my collection, they are 9.8s, so no intention of cracking them out, but could someone explain why submitting a label with a book allows the retention of historical reference while still not influencing the grading process? Is this done during the verification stage (I.e. pedigree recorded in the system without grade, prior to going into the grading room?). Does the submitter need to submit the book in the original case, or is just the label sufficient?

Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere.

I just came across this subject so am reviving the topic.

One of the most fascinating aspects of collecting for me is the provenance of pedigree collections. It's wonderful to read and learn about the history of a specific collection, even if I don't own any from it (are you ever going to publish that book, Matt Nelson?).

To intentionally remove the pedigree of a comic from one of these collections is to delete its history for all time, which is a shame. Are the few extra bucks really worth that, if the grade even gets bumped at all? I might pay as much or more for a pedigree 9.4 than for an anonymous 9.6 simply because the pedigree comic is more interesting to me as a collector as a piece of history from our hobby.

To me the stories behind collectibles can make it much more valuable than a similar copy in higher grade. Put in front of me the top census copy of a Japanese war cover comic versus a lower grade copy (or even a far lower grade copy) which is verified from the Okajima collection (purchased and saved by a girl while she interned in a camp) and I would find it far more interesting to have the Okajima copy.

I saw a "library copy" at SDCC of Detective 31 beat all to hell but it had a library card pocket in the back with names of all the people who had checked it out 70+ years ago. To me that was so much more interesting than a copy would be with a label number 2 or even 3 X as high (especially since at that point we're probably talking a .5 versus a 1.0 or 1.5 and I've seen copies at the higher end of that scale with cover images that did not present as well as this one, but which nonetheless got the higher grades because of a higher structural integrity)

An interesting book like that should be worth more than it would be if somebody destroyed the uniqueness by restoring it. But it's not because market values the number so much that the person who bought it might do better financially selling it that way. And that's regrettable.