• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree status or higher grade

65 posts in this topic

I agree. But as CGC was able to grade and put a number on the case, It has been more about the grade then the pedigree. Exceptions to this are the golden age pedigrees like church copies that still go for four times guide.

The silver age may not have a pedigree that does this,

Which I think is great as I've been able to pick up over 30 pedigree silvers for the same price as non pedigrees.

If a book is ever written and published about golden and silver age pedigrees before I die.

This may change the market on these books.

More so for the silvers as there are no premiums being paid (thumbs u

If collectors won't pay as much if not more for a pedigree book one grade increment lower than an average non-pedigree copy, then the pedigree probably isn't worth the designation.

If you're referring to stealthy resubmissions, there's no reason for them, as inclusion of the old label will ensure that the pedigree designation is maintained.

That alone of course makes the "stealth" part of resubbing pointless, I was referring more to the notion that even if the designation could not be maintained, just bumping a book a grade at the cost of losing pedigree status shouldn't have a positive FMV value, unless the "pedigree" is deemed so unimportant as to not add value to the book in the first place.

If collectors won't pay as much if not more for a pedigree book one grade increment lower than an average non-pedigree copy, then the pedigree probably isn't worth the designation.

If you're referring to stealthy resubmissions, there's no reason for them, as inclusion of the old label will ensure that the pedigree designation is maintained.

That alone of course makes the "stealth" part of resubbing pointless, I was referring more to the notion that even if the designation could not be maintained, just bumping a book a grade at the cost of losing pedigree status shouldn't have a positive FMV value, unless the "pedigree" is deemed so unimportant as to not add value to the book in the first place.

That would only affect Silver age pedigrees as there is no premium so busting out a ped in 9.4 and having it pressed and resub to try for 9.6.

If this is gained the book adds value at the cost of loosing the pedigree on the label.

The golden age books where there is a popular ped like Church that already sells for four times FMV. popping that book open to press up to a higher grade and loosing Church on the label is a massive loss in FMV

That would only affect Silver age pedigrees as there is no premium so busting out a ped in 9.4 and having it pressed and resub to try for 9.6.

If this is gained the book adds value at the cost of loosing the pedigree on the label.

The golden age books where there is a popular ped like Church that already sells for four times FMV. popping that book open to press up to a higher grade and loosing Church on the label is a massive loss in FMV

I wouldn't say Church books routinely sell for four tines FMV. A premium, yes, but ordinarily nothing like that high.