• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question: Golden Age Collecting

17 posts in this topic

I have an itch to start collecting Superman and Batman comics in the teens and lower. My question is with these being so few and far between does grade really matter? (as long as you like the comic)

I have an itch to start collecting Superman and Batman comics in the teens and lower. My question is with these being so few and far between does grade really matter? (as long as you like the comic)

You are the one who has to decide that. There is nothing I enjoyed more about the old books than being able to open them up to read the great stories. However, with higher grade books I was reluctant to risk hurting them.

If you don't mind the lower grade books, it will allow you to buy more. If you will regret purchasing lower grade books, then hold out for nicer copies. It is entirely a personal preference.

You are the one who has to decide that. There is nothing I enjoyed more about the old books than being able to open them up to read the great stories. However, with higher grade books I was reluctant to risk hurting them.

If you don't mind the lower grade books, it will allow you to buy more. If you will regret purchasing lower grade books, then hold out for nicer copies. It is entirely a personal preference.

I've never regretted buying a lower grade copy of a book that I enjoy :cloud9:

I just wanted to see what others that collected in this genre would say. Thanks for the input.. My only concern is how other collectors look at lower grade (3.5 - 5.5) comics compared to the (7.5-9.2) Looks like I will be buying the Batman #2 and Superman #3 from Metropolis. (Both are slabbed)

Thank you!

Batman #2 are Superman #3 are awesome. :cloud9:

If you whip out a copy of Superman #3, I promise the first thought that runs through my mind won't be about a corner chip or spine stress. That is an incredible book.

If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter! Buy what you like. In the last few years I actually bought a coverless Batman 10 and 18 and that's as low as you can go.
hm I am not sure about that. I purchased a single wrap of Action #1

If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter! Buy what you like. In the last few years I actually bought a coverless Batman 10 and 18 and that's as low as you can go.
hm I am not sure about that. I purchased a single wrap of Action #1

and he got the best page from the whole book :cloud9:

... My only concern is how other collectors look at lower grade (3.5 - 5.5) comics compared to the (7.5-9.2) ...

That should be the least of your concerns unless you are talking about $$$ only.

Lower grade GA books like you outlined will always be in demand and, from a $$$ pov, will usually be easier to liquidate than their high grade counterparts.

As far as perception goes, the majority of GA collectors would be proud to include 3.5 - 5.0 copies in their GA collection.

... My only concern is how other collectors look at lower grade (3.5 - 5.5) comics compared to the (7.5-9.2) ...

That should be the least of your concerns unless you are talking about $$$ only.

Lower grade GA books like you outlined will always be in demand and, from a $$$ pov, will usually be easier to liquidate than their high grade counterparts.

As far as perception goes, the majority of GA collectors would be proud to include 3.5 - 5.0 copies in their GA collection.

Well said. Around here we love the comics. We admire the grades.

Well said. Around here we love the comics. We admire the grades.

What a great way to put it. (thumbs u

Depending on your budget, collecting focus and overall patience to acquire books, collecting high grade GA comics might mean that you get to buy 1 or 2 books per year (both because of cost and scarcity). If you're okay with that, then high grade is right for you. If not, then it is far more fun to buy lower grade copies and accomplish your goals in a reasonable time frame.

There are some goals in collecting that, regardless of grade and financial means, will take years and years to accomplish simply due to scarcity of available copies. At which point, you end up diversifying your interests just to satisfy the collector in you.

Which is why I have like 20 goals I'm currently pursuing. For instance, Raboy Master Comics take a lot of patience. In the last several years, there are several issues that I still haven't seen come up for sale. Anywhere. 2c

It is much easier for an individual collector to sell low(er) grade comics for full market value than the higher end books.

However, if you are interested in investment potential, you should not expect low(er) grade books to bring the same rate of return as high grade books. Historically, low grade books have not come close to high grade books in terms of price/value growth.

Anyone looking for strictly investment material should always buy the highest grade they can afford and/or find.

If you are simply asking if they will be appreciated by fellow collectors, then the answer is yes. There are many, many golden age books that are appreciated by collectors in just about all grades.