• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have the best wife EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75 posts in this topic

No matter what you have read, seen or been told, YOU ARE NOT READY!

Comfortable shoes are a must. Bring high protein snacks PB sandwiches are good as well as granola bars. I had a banana and a danish on the ride in every morning to offset the inevitable leg cramps. Take the time to shower and put on deodorant and bring me some cool stuff.

Let me know if you need anymore advice!

Bottled water, loose fitting clothes and put your wallet/cash in your front pocket.

This is a great tip. Always carry your cash in the front pocket. If you are planning on doIng a bit of buying bring a nice light carrying case/bag like they sell at Office Max. I always bring one with some cardboard, bags, and backing boards, tape, etc. This way all your books are secure from the bumping into you and bull-dozing their way in front of you while your looking through a box of comics.

DR.X

Good advice! I usually bring top loaders to cons.

From the images I've seen of SDCC and what people are saying, it's going to be a must to have a way to keep books secure.

It makes sense that people banging into you would be a big deal and very common there.

I carry a hard metal computer briefcase with top loaders, bag and boards etc. A computer case also has straps to secure your books inside. (thumbs u

No matter what you have read, seen or been told, YOU ARE NOT READY!

Comfortable shoes are a must. Bring high protein snacks PB sandwiches are good as well as granola bars. I had a banana and a danish on the ride in every morning to offset the inevitable leg cramps. Take the time to shower and put on deodorant and bring me some cool stuff.

Let me know if you need anymore advice!

Bottled water, loose fitting clothes and put your wallet/cash in your front pocket.

This is a great tip. Always carry your cash in the front pocket. If you are planning on doIng a bit of buying bring a nice light carrying case/bag like they sell at Office Max. I always bring one with some cardboard, bags, and backing boards, tape, etc. This way all your books are secure from the bumping into you and bull-dozing their way in front of you while your looking through a box of comics.

DR.X

Good advice! I usually bring top loaders to cons.

From the images I've seen of SDCC and what people are saying, it's going to be a must to have a way to keep books secure.

It makes sense that people banging into you would be a big deal and very common there.

I carry a hard metal computer briefcase with top loaders, bag and boards etc. A computer case also has straps to secure your books inside. (thumbs u

Excellent idea!

I got one for ya'. I involved or included my wife into my hobby/obsession so much so that she goes with me to shows and helps me with grading raw books.I have passed on some pretty cool books because she thought that we could get a better graded one,"but honey the next highest graded is a thousand dollar difference",she tells me to get that one instead.I love training her.... hm .......I mean including her. :whistle:

I got one for ya'. I involved or included my wife into my hobby/obsession so much so that she goes with me to shows and helps me with grading raw books.I have passed on some pretty cool books because she thought that we could get a better graded one,"but honey the next highest graded is a thousand dollar difference",she tells me to get that one instead.I love training her.... hm .......I mean including her. :whistle:

:roflmao:

I love taking my wife with me to shows because she can see defects that I just cannot see at first look. Plus, she will advise me to get the better book even for more money (if she's in a good mood).

I love taking my wife with me to shows because she can see defects that I just cannot see at first look. Plus, she will advise me to get the better book even for more money (if she's in a good mood).

Yeah it's great,my wife has developed a sharp eye too! :cloud9:

It's long, but I recommend you read this:

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/briefings/commentary/33348/

Answering your 1 question, no they don't clear the rooms. But if you show up, say 5 minutes before a panel is over and try to get in the door person will know what you're up to and tell you to get in line.

Aside from comfortable shoes I also buy a new, washed once, never worn package of socks with me. New socks are heaven on the feet when it comes to comicon. Others recommend flip flops or slippers after the con is over and your back at your hotel and done for the night.

(worship) Great advice!

Quick question for #5. I read on their site that they don't clear rooms.

If there is a particular program I want to see, is it necessary to go to the panel/program before it to get a seat for the one you actually want???

Just thinking out loud...

Yes, this is probably true for the Hollywood and TV panels held in Hall H or Ballroom 20 (or is 22?). These rooms hold at least a few thousand people. Hall H has inside bathrooms, so you do not have to leave the room if you have to "go". Some diehards line up for Hall H the night before (ahh, to be a teenager again...).

My wife is a huge Lost fan. A couple of years ago, we lined up about 30 minutes before the Con opened to make sure we got into Hall H. We got in and we had to sit through the Heroes panel before the Lost panel started (actually, I had to sit through both).

I have found that the comic book panels are not jammed pack, so getting there about 15 minutes ahead of time should be OK.

I was thinking about these points last night too.

Any advice on how to get the stuff home safely?? Do you guys carry them back on the plane with you? Or is there a post office nearby to ship stuff?

If you want to ship stuff home, I believe there is a shipping service in the Convention lobby. I cannot recall if it is the UPS Store or Fedex Kinkos. I have never used them, so I don't know if the cost is reasonable or expensive.

There is a UPS and yes it's very expensive. Because it's at the convention, there are extra fees that you wouldn't have to pay if you went somewhere else. Also, come Sunday there is a very long line up to send your stuff home. Considering the line up your probably ahead just to go to the nearest UPS outside of the con, have little to no line up and not pay the extra fees.

I personally ship my stuff home via the USPS at Horton Plaza on Saturday (they are not open Sunday) and keep my airport/airplane reading material with me.