• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have the best wife EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75 posts in this topic

I know exactly how you feel. I was surprised with my first SDCC last year.

We skipped Saturday, and I didn't regret it. We went to Ocean Beach and the Gaslamp District instead. My wife loved it!

The big media panels have incredibly long lines, If you really want to see one, get in line ASAP. We really enjoyed the Burn Notice panel, and it was worth the line.

I took my loot home with me as carry on. I couldn't have it out of my sight for the duration of the flight!

Make sure you connect with all the Boardies! See if GAtor remembers my version of your surprise story. I told everyone who would listen!

As you're enjoying everything, try to save it to your memory. I reminisce about my trip often.

Give your wife a whole bunch of good foot rubs.

I got one for ya'. I involved or included my wife into my hobby/obsession so much so that she goes with me to shows and helps me with grading raw books.I have passed on some pretty cool books because she thought that we could get a better graded one,"but honey the next highest graded is a thousand dollar difference",she tells me to get that one instead.I love training her.... hm .......I mean including her. :whistle:

I love taking my wife with me to shows because she can see defects that I just cannot see at first look. Plus, she will advise me to get the better book even for more money (if she's in a good mood).

Yeah it's great,my wife has developed a sharp eye too! :cloud9:

That's interesting guys!

No, my wife is very hands OFF when it comes to comics. She doesn't have any interest at all. She's not into fantasy or Sci-Fi at all, so she even trys to avoid going to comic book movies too.

She's just a really cool person and knows that I enjoy them. She lets me be me. (thumbs u

It's long, but I recommend you read this:

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/briefings/commentary/33348/

Answering your 1 question, no they don't clear the rooms. But if you show up, say 5 minutes before a panel is over and try to get in the door person will know what you're up to and tell you to get in line.

Aside from comfortable shoes I also buy a new, washed once, never worn package of socks with me. New socks are heaven on the feet when it comes to comicon. Others recommend flip flops or slippers after the con is over and your back at your hotel and done for the night.

I just bookmarked that site. I'm going to read it tonight! Thanks! (thumbs u

There is a UPS and yes it's very expensive. Because it's at the convention, there are extra fees that you wouldn't have to pay if you went somewhere else. Also, come Sunday there is a very long line up to send your stuff home. Considering the line up your probably ahead just to go to the nearest UPS outside of the con, have little to no line up and not pay the extra fees.

I personally ship my stuff home via the USPS at Horton Plaza on Saturday (they are not open Sunday) and keep my airport/airplane reading material with me.

Thanks! I don't know what I'm going to buy yet, but it's nice to know it's there.

I don't know if I want to try and get exclusives and flip them or not.

I'm leaning toward just going to the programs/panels and enjoying myself. Then finding 1 really nice grail comic to buy. That way I'll have a great souvenir to remember my trip.

I know exactly how you feel. I was surprised with my first SDCC last year.

We skipped Saturday, and I didn't regret it. We went to Ocean Beach and the Gaslamp District instead. My wife loved it!

The big media panels have incredibly long lines, If you really want to see one, get in line ASAP. We really enjoyed the Burn Notice panel, and it was worth the line.

I took my loot home with me as carry on. I couldn't have it out of my sight for the duration of the flight!

Make sure you connect with all the Boardies! See if GAtor remembers my version of your surprise story. I told everyone who would listen!

lolI'll have to introduce myself to people as "that guy with the best wife thread."

As you're enjoying everything, try to save it to your memory. I reminisce about my trip often.

Give your wife a whole bunch of good foot rubs.

There is a UPS and yes it's very expensive. Because it's at the convention, there are extra fees that you wouldn't have to pay if you went somewhere else. Considering the line up your probably ahead just to go to the nearest UPS outside of the con, have little to no line up and not pay the extra fees.

You can also use the free fed ex boxes and fill in your waybill inside the convention center. To save the $10 "convention rate fee", just walk outside the front doors and drop off your collectibles :applause: to the fed ex pick up box.

Thanks! I don't know what I'm going to buy yet, but it's nice to know it's there.

I'm leaning toward just going to the programs/panels and enjoying myself. Then finding 1 really nice grail comic to buy. That way I'll have a great souvenir to remember my trip.

Yeah I'm the same way. I know there are exclusives there, *some* of which will have enough of a demand that you can flip them on ebay and make money. But figuring out which ones, when/where they'll be sold, fighting to be there and buy them with all the other flippers, getting them on ebay right away and selling them..

Well, not my idea of fun.

San Diego is huge and there a LOT of stuff going on. You need to look at what is going on and when and plan your own convention experience. And yeah, I totally recommend doing what you said. Find some panels and stuff you want to attend, wander the floor, and find a book you want to buy. The other nice thing about the convention, even in areas that aren't "comics" areas, like old books section, most of the exhibitors realize they're at a comic convention and will have a box of some shelves of comics - and you can find some offbeat stuff at decent prices.

I especially recommend walking around Artists Alley. You will be able to chat with a number of artists that are advertised big names in other conventions. Ramona Fradon is a regular. In the past I've seen Al Feldstein, Tony DeZuniga, and others. There is a real mix from almost all ages and all types.

I got one for ya'. I involved or included my wife into my hobby/obsession so much so that she goes with me to shows and helps me with grading raw books.I have passed on some pretty cool books because she thought that we could get a better graded one,"but honey the next highest graded is a thousand dollar difference",she tells me to get that one instead.I love training her.... hm .......I mean including her. :whistle:

:roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Just got back to my hotel from preview night.

My day started with a 9 hour flight from Philly to San Diego with a couple stops in between. Flight wasn't too bad as I met some people also making the trip out here. We flew over the Grand Canyon and I took this pic from the plane.

P6110014.jpg

Once I got to San Diego I took a taxi to my hotel. THAT was hilarious. The cab driver was a crazy Russian named Gregory who was pissed about the comic con people coming creating the bad traffic. I would have took his picture, but he was legit mad when I told him my hotel and that I was also here for the con. lol

After I checked in, I went to the Town & Country in Mission Valley to catch the shuttle. I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to wait in that line. It was enormous. Wrapped completely around the building (5:30 pm). When I got back from the con there were easily a couple hundred people still waiting in line inside.

Big thank you to DALE ROBERTS for getting me an exhibitors pass. (worship)(worship) I can't thank him enough. When I got to the convention center he met me outside and gave me my badge, so I didn't have to wait in any badge pick up lines.

Inside there were lines for everything. There was even a line wrapping around the walls to buy t-shirts. :o

I walked around the comics section first and then ventured deeper into the exhibit hall. First up, the man. Stan Lee!

P6110025.jpg

Then I went and got Robert Kirkman's autograph. I had him sign my Invincible #1, #11, #12 and my Walking Dead #75 blank.

P6110028.jpg

I then went through artist alley and commissioned 3 sketch covers.

Walking Dead Blank cover by Cliff Rathburn (the blank Kirkman also signed)

Crossed Blank cover by Jacen Burrows

Captain America cover by Elvin Hernandez

I'll post pictures when they are finished.

There weren't many costumes. Some but very few. Looks like tomorrow will be a bigger cosplay day.

Yeah I'm the same way. I know there are exclusives there, *some* of which will have enough of a demand that you can flip them on ebay and make money. But figuring out which ones, when/where they'll be sold, fighting to be there and buy them with all the other flippers, getting them on ebay right away and selling them..

San Diego is huge and there a LOT of stuff going on. You need to look at what is going on and when and plan your own convention experience. And yeah, I totally recommend doing what you said. Find some panels and stuff you want to attend, wander the floor, and find a book you want to buy. The other nice thing about the convention, even in areas that aren't "comics" areas, like old books section, most of the exhibitors realize they're at a comic convention and will have a box of some shelves of comics - and you can find some offbeat stuff at decent prices.

I especially recommend walking around Artists Alley. You will be able to chat with a number of artists that are advertised big names in other conventions. Ramona Fradon is a regular. In the past I've seen Al Feldstein, Tony DeZuniga, and others. There is a real mix from almost all ages and all types.

transformers starstream sky striker with Cobra commander figure is a safe bet. Transformers matrix prime & movie prime have demand but that could die down with in a couple weeks of the con being over ... sell them right away & you are good .... the gijoe starscream you can hold for a quite a while though & still be good ...

mattels Dcuc mossman ?swampthing? swamp man? whatever his name is...will be in demand

those are the big items that i can think of ...

transformers starstream sky striker with Cobra commander figure is a safe bet. Transformers matrix prime & movie prime have demand but that could die down with in a couple weeks of the con being over ... sell them right away & you are good .... the gijoe starscream you can hold for a quite a while though & still be good ...

mattels Dcuc mossman ?swampthing? swamp man? whatever his name is...will be in demand

The Hasbro stuff is definitely in demand. The line was HUGE, and apparently they had to wait in another line earlier to get into that line. :ohnoez:

They had a bunch of new stuff displayed. The Marvel Universe line in particular had a ton of upcoming new characters revealed.

The Hasbro stuff is definitely in demand. The line was HUGE, and apparently they had to wait in another line earlier to get into that line. :ohnoez:

They had a bunch of new stuff displayed. The Marvel Universe line in particular had a ton of upcoming new characters revealed.

:ohnoez: