• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How crazy will the bidding be for the Superman #1, 4.5 blue in CLINK?

66 posts in this topic

from what I am told, the book was already pressed...spine roll too "deep" to remove any further (as in some roll has already been removed?)... the edge tears , spine wear, etc will keep this copy a 4.5 (thumbs u

I would think disassembly and dry pressing would work and since cgc doesn't consider that restoration it is still a blue label (thumbs u

from what I am told, the book was already pressed...spine roll too "deep" to remove any further (as in some roll has already been removed?)... the edge tears , spine wear, etc will keep this copy a 4.5 (thumbs u

I would think disassembly and dry pressing would work and since cgc doesn't consider that restoration it is still a blue label (thumbs u

If the glue is anywhere near the spine or staples, I'd worry about a drop in grade and not mess with it.

I would think so. I've never understood people who avoid PLODs but will buy books with this note.

If this was the same book in a PLOD case, what would it go for?

I think the glue on cover notes keep this below 100k

I would think so. I've never understood people who avoid PLODs but will buy books with this note.

NOTHING! RESTORED BOOKS ARE A FRAUD! WHEN ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO WAKE UP!!

Opinions differ all around, but in my opinion a note like that is not a bother. Minor glue would not affect the value I put on a book.

And as far as I've ever known (correct me if I am wrong) when CGC lets a book with very minor glue (such as this) into a blue holder the glue was so minor that it did not affect the grade (restore the grade) to an artificially high grade whatsoever. And the grade would be the same regardless of the glue or not.

But I have also never invested in a six figure book, maybe my opinion would change then.

But all in all with this very nice example, even if the glue bothered some, I'd bet the incredible ow/w pq might just balance it out. :cool:

a dab of glue is not "restoration" on a book like this (or any book IMO)...it can be safely removed and shouldn't affect the grade at all, which is why it is in a blue label...if it was "too" much glue to remove, or would affect grade if removed, likely would be in a purple label.... but common sense must be employed

Sure, but there are books with quite minor restoration that get hammered pricewise for being in the PLOD.

I would be reluctant to pay unrestored prices for what to my mind is a restored (albeit ever so slightly) book.

I'd rather buy a slightly restored book that ended up in a PLOD for the cheaper price.

Since I'm unlikely to ever be in the market for a book of this price, I guess it doesn't really matter what I think though.

Opinions differ all around, but in my opinion a note like that is not a bother. Minor glue would not affect the value I put on a book.

And as far as I've ever known (correct me if I am wrong) when CGC lets a book with very minor glue (such as this) into a blue holder the glue was so minor that it did not affect the grade (restore the grade) to an artificially high grade whatsoever. And the grade would be the same regardless of the glue or not.

But I have also never invested in a six figure book, maybe my opinion would change then.

But all in all with this very nice example, even if the glue bothered some, I'd bet the incredible ow/w pq might just balance it out. :cool:

Sure, but there are books with quite minor restoration that get hammered pricewise for being in the PLOD.

I would be reluctant to pay unrestored prices for what to my mind is a restored (albeit ever so slightly) book.

I'd rather buy a slightly restored book that ended up in a PLOD for the cheaper price.

Since I'm unlikely to ever be in the market for a book of this price, I guess it doesn't really matter what I think though.

book with minor resto that affect grade, get hammered... books with minor "resto" that doesnt affect grade and can be safely removed without changing the structural grade get treated as "blue" label universal...

however, I would LOVE for this book to be hammered price wise :idea:

Well, in the case of this book the glue might have affected the overall grade. The bottom spine has a 2/3" split, and that is where the glue is.

So if it was removed I wonder if the book would be downgraded due to having the spine split unsealed?

Hard to say how much, if at all the glue affected the grade. But the fact it is in a place where it serves a purpose would make one think it did.

Well, in the case of this book the glue might have affected the overall grade. The bottom spine has a 2/3" split, and that is where the glue is.

So if it was removed I wonder if the book would be downgraded due to having the spine split unsealed?

Hard to say how much, if at all the glue affected the grade. But the fact it is in a place where it serves a purpose would make one think it did.

less than 1" spine split is fine on a 4.5 (thumbs u

Agreed.

It just makes me shake my head that this type of glue is viewed differently then if I were to apply a dab of wheat paste and japan paper to reinforce the spine split.

Both are negligible and serve a purpose, yet the latter would get hammered because the label would be purple.

It's crazy.

Agreed.

It just makes me shake my head that this type of glue is viewed differently then if I were to apply a dab of wheat paste and japan paper to reinforce the spine split.

Both are negligible and serve a purpose, yet the latter would get hammered because the label would be purple.

It's crazy.

Yep - downright crazy: irrational actually.

I have ofter pictured the scenario of a kid playing with glue and the mom made him place a comic under it so he wouldn't get any on the table.

And it just so happened to drip onto a tear on the comic. But it wasn't restorative...

I have ofter pictured the scenario of a kid playing with glue and the mom made him place a comic under it so he wouldn't get any on the table.

And it just so happened to drip onto a tear on the comic. But it wasn't restorative...

I wasn't aware that the glue was serving the purpose of a tear seal.

I hear you and agree...kind of like if done back in the 40's, it was "preventative" (poor kid would be the laughing stock of the school if his comic didn't have a cover!)...if done last year, then obviously restorative, but scrape that glue off if it bothers oneself lol

The very first Action I owned was #29 CGC 4.0 with a blue label noting a small amount of dried glue on the cover. I never did find it but, never imagined it was a form of restoration. Oh, and the book sold for $615 six years ago. That was good money back then.