• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Open Letter to Comiclink

82 posts in this topic

Lighter fluid can cause the holder to become foggy. Stick with WD-40.
Same with goo gone or any other household or industrial solvent. I would recommend using veggie oil . Personally i use a hairdryer and a razor blade,it works well if you want to reuse any stickers.

Really! Is a sticker such an issue? It's the book that counts isn't it? Sure some people add stickers to slabs. I don't mind them and they help me identify where I bought them.

+1

It`s kind of sad that the hobby has morphed into actually collecting the plastic now instead of just the book inside the plastic.

Really! Is a sticker such an issue? It's the book that counts isn't it? Sure some people add stickers to slabs. I don't mind them and they help me identify where I bought them.

+1

It`s kind of sad that the hobby has morphed into actually collecting the plastic now instead of just the book inside the plastic.

I find it strange that more people don't care. We are after all talking about people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars for one less spine tick. I can understand if someone feels that it detracts from the overall appearance of their book. It doesn't bother me enough to remove them but I can understand :grin:

+1

I find it strange that more people don't care. We are after all talking about people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars for one less spine tick. I can understand if someone feels that it detracts from the overall appearance of their book. It doesn't bother me enough to remove them but I can understand :grin:

From my point of view these comics are for my personal collection and for many of them replacements of my previous lower-grade RAW copies. I thoroughly enjoy this hobby and it is something for me to leave to my kids at some point. That being understood I am buying much more than a piece of plastic/acrylic. I am buying a lasting memory. If that label identified the history of the book and its ownership of some sort (like a few of my collection books do) then I would have no problem with it.

Comiclink is a broker, an auction house that facilitated the transfer. I do not need to remind myself where I bought it. That is done by looking at my invoices or bills. I am not here to promote their wares and it is a nuisance more than it is anything else. If I prefer to have a clean looking slab that I spent my hard-earned money on then all I ask is use removable labels for those like me that have that preference.

You say a clean looking slab you spent your money on.. But many of us believe we have bought the comic inside.. It's the comic that holds all the value. Crack one open and sell the comics and the slab separately to verify that.

Yes, its a ploy by dealers to advertise. But, apparently they come off easily with the right approach. So look at them as packaging that you can choose to keep or throw away.

But I guess I'm a outlier. I don't mind cracked cases either.

Is it possible the comic collecting hobby is becoming literally a slab collecting hobby now?

You say a clean looking slab you spent your money on.. But many of us believe we have bought the comic inside.. It's the comic that holds all the value. Crack one open and sell the comics and the slab separately to verify that.

Yes, its a ploy by dealers to advertise. But, apparently they come off easily with the right approach. So look at them as packaging that you can choose to keep or throw away.

But I guess I'm a outlier. I don't mind cracked cases either.

Is it possible the comic collecting hobby is becoming literally a slab collecting hobby now?

Let me phrase this so I am not misunderstood. When I say "slab" I mean the entire collectible: comic et all. I want to see that when I look at it, front and back - not Comiclink's label. Why bother paying the premium for an officially graded, protected comic book if it has some third-party advertising on it that I do not want to see.

As for the easily removed: I was slow and careful and it still happened. Besides the removal techniques that gave me a good laugh I was reminded of the blow-dryer technique which I used on some electronics years ago. So thank you for that.

The slabs my be a piece of junk plastic without the book inside but it's my decision what my collected slabs look like I don't want other peoples stickers or writing on them. I passed on a dealer at comic con because they had written on all their slabs (the piece of paper at the very top).

Well seems like your only solution then is to only buy from non stickerers and hope your "boycott" forces them to advertise elsewhere. I see your point that it's a nuisance. We all collect what we choose to collect. My take is that if you're a comic collector it's the comic that counts. The holder is invisible to me. In fact to an oldtimer like me the entire slab is a nuisance and the stickers no worse than when they were on mylars. I could have but I didn't swap them out for prettier mylars then and so these new stickered attacks don't bother me now because -- are you ready for it again?-- I'm buying and collecting the comic book inside!

Just to be clear - I never said anything ever about a "boycott". As a company they can do whatever they want. As a buyer from them I can say what I feel and that was: USE REMOVABLE LABELS PLEASE.

+1

It's kinda like a bumper sticker on your car. Some like 'em, some don't. I'd prefer they used removable ones like Heritage.

+1

That's quite a leap to a judgmental and incorrect conclusion. For the record, I hate those stickers too. Every time I get a book from ComicLink, I groan when I see they've put one of those stickers on the slab. I get out the hair dryer and Goo Gone and go through the process of getting that eyesore off the book. If the stickers came off easily, I wouldn't care. But they usually don't.

Just like books look better with clean mylars and boards, I think they look better without the ComicLink stickers on them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting your collection to look good. If you don't mind the stickers, that's cool. But there are obviously plenty of people who dislike them. And maybe that doesn't pass your collector purity test, but it doesn't deserve snarky comments either.

+1

I find it strange that more people don't care. We are after all talking about people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars for one less spine tick.

The difference is that the spine tick is on the book, and not on the plastic case. As long as the integrity of the plastic case is intact, and the view of the comic inside the case is not obscured, then I could really care less about the plastic case itself.

But I guess we`re getting to the point that collectors will soon actually pay more or less depending on the condition of the plastic case. Aren`t they already selling cases to protect the CGC case? :baiting:

If I prefer to have a clean looking slab that I spent my hard-earned money on then all I ask is use removable labels for those like me that have that preference.

And the reason that will never happen is because I bet the majority of the folks in this thread complaining about Comiclink`s unremovable stickers continue to buy from Comiclink, which allows Josh to have his cake and eat it too.

+1

It's kinda like a bumper sticker on your car. Some like 'em, some don't. I'd prefer they used removable ones like Heritage.

Of course, everyone would, including me.

But as long as everyone continues to give Comiclink positive reinforcement by continuing to buy from them, why in the world would Comiclink ever change their practice?

And the reason that will never happen is because I bet the majority of the folks in this thread complaining about Comiclink`s unremovable stickers continue to buy from Comiclink, which allows Josh to have his cake and eat it too.

all the books i've bought with those annoying comiclink stickers were from here, and being the anal retentive dude that i am, i immediately removed it. what else annoys me is, peoples overuse of tape when packing up a slab in bubble wrap. it shouldn't have to take me 5 minutes to get to see my slab. doh!:pullhair:

CGC puts their slabs in a clear bag which I assume is to protect the case from fingerprints and such, why someone in the business to resell CGC slabs would stick things directly on the case makes no sense to me.

Branding. Duh.