• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Green Lantern Is As Good As Iron Man

134 posts in this topic

At that number the chances for a sequel are probably pretty slim. The reviews killed this movie which really wasn't that bad. Enjoy it while you can sounds like we ll be stuck with just Superman and Batman movies for a little while if you care about DC characters.
Maybe the Green Lantern can battle Owen Gleiberman and Rogert Ebert in the sequel. hm

Ebert actually liked the movie, better then Thor and I think as much as X-Men FC. The estimated 54M is including today so yeah unless the merchandising does some crazy business the movie overall is bound to lose a bunch. I wouldn't mind a sequel but it's nowhere near a given unless WB just decides to push foward regardless.

I went with Ebert because I figured no one would know who Ty Burr or Peter Travers was. lol

He likes alot of fluffy popcorn movies anyway, Con Air(which I guiltily liked :blush: ) to Congo.

...there will most definitely be a sequel,...if they can make sequels out of crud movies like the Hulk and Fantastic Four than this is a shoe-in,...and just as a comparison Thor did 66 million on opening weekend,...GL is at 52 mill not counting sales for today,...

The Incredible Hulk (the Ed Norton version) movie is roughly 5 orders of magnitude better than The Green Lantern movie.

...uh huh,...oh yeah,...that was umm,...the words escape me,......how do u say?.....horrible,...

I don't get it. Are you saying you didn't like The Ed Norton Hulk?

I don't get it. Are you saying you didn't like The Ed Norton Hulk?

...... :taptaptap:....well it was better than the Eric Bana version,....but that's like saying getting gonorreah is better than getting syphillis

I saw the movie yesterday with my son. He liked it better than Thor and X-Men First Class, but not as much as Super 8. I thought it was on par with Thor and Iron Man. I actually like X-Men First Class quite a bit. This movie definitely had a more satisfying ending that most super-hero movies. I think all the negative comments concerning this movie are undeserved.

And IMHO, the first Hulk movie is the worst super-hero movie from the big 2 so far. I loved parts of it, but unfortunately those parts I didn't like really makes that movie unwatchable. I like Daredevil and Jonah Hex more than that first Hulk movie and those 2 movies are pretty meh.

Green Lantern is not the best movie of the bunch, but it's not the worst.

I saw the movie yesterday with my son. He liked it better than Thor and X-Men First Class, but not as much as Super 8. I thought it was on par with Thor and Iron Man. I actually like X-Men First Class quite a bit. This movie definitely had a more satisfying ending that most super-hero movies. I think all the negative comments concerning this movie are undeserved.

And IMHO, the first Hulk movie is the worst super-hero movie from the big 2 so far. I loved parts of it, but unfortunately those parts I didn't like really makes that movie unwatchable. I like Daredevil and Jonah Hex more than that first Hulk movie and those 2 movies are pretty meh.

Green Lantern is not the best movie of the bunch, but it's not the worst.

I should add that I'm talking about recent movies when I'm comparing these. If I reach back into my memory far enough, I remember thinking the Swamp Thing sequel was pretty bad, the Richard Pryor Superman was horrible, and a 4th Batman with Arnold Schwarzenegger that looked more like Ice Capades or a Broadway show than a movie.

My wife and I saw it last night...

She is not a comic fan but she says she loved it

It being Ryan Reynolds and his six pack.

She says it had nothing to do with his abs..

She says it was a fun movie.

Probably because as a origin movie they could take some liberties..

When time comes for second movie it will be more serious.

...there will most definitely be a sequel,...if they can make sequels out of crud movies like the Hulk and Fantastic Four than this is a shoe-in,...and just as a comparison Thor did 66 million on opening weekend,...GL is at 52 mill not counting sales for today,...

The Incredible Hulk (the Ed Norton version) movie is roughly 5 orders of magnitude better than The Green Lantern movie.

...uh huh,...oh yeah,...that was umm,...the words escape me,......how do u say?.....horrible,...

I happened to like the Ed Norton Hulk quite a bit. Most of it's failings are with authenticity to the comic, but I'm okay with that. I'd rather a movie be completely UN-authentic but coherent than authentic and hokey as GL was.

GL's Rotten Tomato score of 28ish is about right. It's about on par with DareDevil and the first Hulk, I'd guess. Not G.I. Joe bad, but not anywhere close to Iron Man.

Somebody mentioned Super 8... That movie is probably the most over hyped and poorly done movie I've seen in years. Yes, it's much better than GL, but it has some absolutely terrible plot, story, and continuity holes that left me dumbfounded.. (never mind the absolutely insane over-the-top train wreck.. What was that train doing? 987 mph?). The vast majority of people that I've talked to that like it seem to have that opinion because they grew up or have a fond recollection of the 70's. It's pretty bad when the best thing about a movie is it's setting.. :/

I think there will be a sequel to this movie (i'm foreseeing part 2 as being much much better than the 1st. Who wouldn't want a Sinestro vs. Green Lantern showdown?). Perhaps all the movie needs is a new director

I think there will be a sequel to this movie (i'm foreseeing part 2 as being much much better than the 1st. Who wouldn't want a Sinestro vs. Green Lantern showdown?). Perhaps all the movie needs is a new director
What it needs is Geoff Johns writing the sequel :wishluck:

saw it today with my son (7yrs) and two nephews (10yrs each) and I enjoyed it very much and thought all the negative reviews were really not warranted, I would love to see a sequel with Sinestro vs Hal.

I enjoyed it as much as Thor, but X-Men first class is very good due to IMO Magneto.

I'd rather see Sinestro and Hal team up against The Manhunters and becoming friends in part II and at the end of Part II it's discovered that Sinestro is a tyrant over the quadrant he is supposed to protect and then in the third movie they battle.

At that number the chances for a sequel are probably pretty slim. The reviews killed this movie which really wasn't that bad. Enjoy it while you can sounds like we ll be stuck with just Superman and Batman movies for a little while if you care about DC characters.

when the advance word was so bad, warners poured huge $ into a midnight-hour ad blitz, and i understand they have 300mil into the flick. not only is 52mil bad on the weekend, check it's descending numbers fri to sun; it is going to be lucky to go much past 125mil domestic.

as bad as ff 1 was, and i hate it, it cost 100mil and made 155mil domestically. it warranted, barely, a sequel.

we're all just speculating, but i've been a movie buff almost as long as i've been a comic geek. these kinds of numbers do not shout sequel, i promise.

saw it today with my son (7yrs) and two nephews (10yrs each) and I enjoyed it very much and thought all the negative reviews were really not warranted, I would love to see a sequel with Sinestro vs Hal.

I enjoyed it as much as Thor, but X-Men first class is very good due to IMO Magneto.

I was traveling back from visiting my dad, and caught the 3D showing..., because the rotten reviews made me think my family might not like it, and I felt obligated to give it a try.

Wrong - the movie was great, and my family would have like it. Every bit as good as Thor. Not as good as IM 1, but then, what other superhero movie is?

I thought Sinestro kind of stole the acting show, much like Loki did in Thor.

when the advance word was so bad, warners poured huge $ into a midnight-hour ad blitz, and i understand they have 300mil into the flick. not only is 52mil bad on the weekend, check it's descending numbers fri to sun; it is going to be lucky to go much past 125mil domestic.

as bad as ff 1 was, and i hate it, it cost 100mil and made 155mil domestically. it warranted, barely, a sequel.

we're all just speculating, but i've been a movie buff almost as long as i've been a comic geek. these kinds of numbers do not shout sequel, i promise.

These GL numbers were so bad that the odds of us seeing a big budget Flash,Shazam or Hawkman movie would be slim to none now.Even over at Marvel they would probally be more cautious now with similar popular characters like Doctor Strange or Ant-man.

I see the underwhelming performance of Green Lantern as a major blow to the comic book industry. The reason why Marvel and DC keep publishing the comics is because of movie and merchandising profitability,and it looks like the profitability part just took a major blow!

2c

What it needs is Geoff Johns writing the sequel :wishluck:

Maybe Johns and only Johns. :wishluck:

I saw GL on Saturday night with my wife and we both thought it was a pretty bad movie. I thought the poor reviews were well deserved. I was hoping for a good movie but it was pretty lame.

X-men First Class was light years better

100% correct. and initial foreign isn't any better. UK opening was 1/2 of thor and XMFC. the economics of this movie shout "whose head is going on the chopping block?" not "who do we get to write the sequel?"