• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Space 1999 - Why No Redux???

35 posts in this topic

Growing up in the 70's, I remember really enjoying "Space 1999" and the exploits of Commander John Koenig and the crew of Moonbase Alpha.

It's seems weird to me that in a climate where every old sci-fi show of my youth (Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and V to name but three) can be re-imagined for a new audience, no one has decided to re-visit Space 1999.

Ok they'd have to change the title but apart from that, they wouldn't need to change much of the original concept to come up with a decent show.

Any thoughts on why it hasn't been looked at as a serious contender for a revamp? (shrug)

PCC

Loved Space 1999.. Had the ship and stuff. I got the comic book somewhere. One of my favorites.

Another favorite was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea . What a great show. And ocourse Lost in Space.

Yeah the ship was cool, wasn't it called the "Eagle" or something like that?

Also didn't the comic series have early art by John "Uncanny X-Men" Byrne?

Remember watching repeats of Lost in Space as a kid and loving the show mostly for the robot. Quite recently I caught a few episodes and was suprised just how good Jonathan Harris was as the comically evil Dr. Smith.

PCC

I will add Land of the Lost . And yes the ship was the Eagle in Space 1999 . a few years ago they wanted to do a Space 1999 movie but never materialized.

The way remakes of Lost in Space-Land of the Lost came out it probably was a good idea.

I am still so upset what they did to Land of the Lost. That show was before its time. It had Mythology , time travel wacky stuff going on and such like modern shows like the X Files Lost and Fringe . The Sleestacks were absolutely the coolest. Enik was cool.

Know what you mean. it had a creepy "The Shinning" quality to the space station.

I don't know why but SPACE:1999 freaked me out as a kid. There was something creepy about it... Did anyone else feel that way?

This will be the next series that will come up, be heavily hyped for the first season and then some big-wig will decide he'd rather put on a dumb-azz reality series based on Trump firing the Kardashian sisters while 3 d-list judges look on! :makepoint:

Growing up in the 70's, I remember really enjoying "Space 1999" and the exploits of Commander John Koenig and the crew of Moonbase Alpha.

It's seems weird to me that in a climate where every old sci-fi show of my youth (Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and V to name but three) can be re-imagined for a new audience, no one has decided to re-visit Space 1999.

Ok they'd have to change the title but apart from that, they wouldn't need to change much of the original concept to come up with a decent show.

Any thoughts on why it hasn't been looked at as a serious contender for a revamp? (shrug)

PCC

Because it`s the year 2011?

Great show but they would have to call it 2099 for a reboot.

It was either that creepy Maya or the way Martin Landau dead-played everything that added some kind of weird quality to the show .. but I loved it!

My brother and I used to make their cool hand held weapons out of Legos. Remember back when you could actually use your imagination with Legos? And the Eagle was the coolest ship ever! Well, after an X-Wing .. but I guess technically the Eagle came out first..

PCC

I did kinda pick up on that ;)

PCC

I did kinda pick up on that ;)

:)

space 1999 seemed more geared toward older audiences...slower paced, mature lead actors, etc. than the other space drama shows of the era

I kind of see that...but the theme tune alone would have put off most old timers!

Actually just listened to the theme tune on YouTube and while it's groovy...it's not as groovy as I remember :(

Space 1999 - Why No Redux???

Star Trek, perhaps?

It was one of my favorite shows. I think you got that spooky vibe from Maya's eyebrows and mutton chops:

mmalp.jpg

You could well be right

Good to see the living legend that is Brian Blessed modelling the New Romantic Look before it really took off.