• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAS ANYONE PUT A HIT OUT ON RMA?

33 posts in this topic

as i read the thread that rma started about the grade bumps i couldnt help but fear for him. i love to read most of his post but now i am worried.

i realize that there are many people out there with disposable income but some things i have seen on these boards in the year i have been here just dont add up. you have people selling 9.8 silver age books for thousands of dollars. most of them based off gpa which can be skewed. i mean the book in overstreet is 80.00 at a 9.2. then someone asks 2500 for a 9.8. based on a system ( gpa ) that is really terrible. it simply is a guide but people blindly follow it. if blackstar sells one item. obviously which ever one that is will show a crazy number with gpa. that doesnt make it worth that much.

even worse then my friend blackstar having an insufficiently_thoughtful_person stumble up on his books and getting azz raped by him what about the shill bids. we all know that ebay is full of shills. so since joe blow decides to shill a couple books up and the price goes crazy. gpa will then go crazy. what if blackstar sells one. two days later someone shills a copy of the same book. come on guys lets stop the madness

so now rma has pointed out how 9.6 to 9.8 is simply based on a graders mood that day. i fear for his safety.

Well--one way I subvert that is checking GPA. Often sellers will note what the "last sale price" was, but 30 seconds of research (and a bit of common sense) shows that the last sale was an 40% higher than the 90-day and 12-month averages, and thus an outlier.

If I had books to sell, i would do exactly this: wait until one sells for an obscene amount of money, and then throw it up for sale here for slightly less.

i try and subvert such things as well. but often times there may be multiple jacked up sales on gpa.

lets say blackstar sells one. six months ago joe smith shilled his book up and sold it to someone who didnt realize what was going on. a month before that an issue of the same book was shilled up so high that it didnt even sell and the shill was stuck with his book and having to pay the ebay fees because he went crazy with his shilling.

you then have three times the book shows sold at an over the top price. gpa is then jacked up. you go in and try and subvert a situation but you cant. i realize at this point you just have to pass on the book or bite the bullet. either way gpa is still jacked up

i try and subvert such things as well. but often times there may be multiple jacked up sales on gpa.

lets say blackstar sells one. six months ago joe smith shilled his book up and sold it to someone who didnt realize what was going on. a month before that an issue of the same book was shilled up so high that it didnt even sell and the shill was stuck with his book and having to pay the ebay fees because he went crazy with his shilling.

you then have three times the book shows sold at an over the top price. gpa is then jacked up. you go in and try and subvert a situation but you cant. i realize at this point you just have to pass on the book or bite the bullet. either way gpa is still jacked up

That is why I don't focus so much on GPA when I am selling. I may make a reference to it but in the end I try to get out of the book what I have in it or a little more. No need to be greedy.

you have people selling 9.8 silver age books for thousands of dollars.

I don't think it's an apt comparision. The "experiment" was with 80's and 90's stuff. In my experience Silver is graded different, and the defects allowed at 9.2-9.8 are in a different class than copper/modern. I believe the differences between the high end grades to be more pronounced the older the book is.

Also, while one possible explanation for the grade bumps is "grader mood", there

are a number of other possible explanations that could account for the difference.

Some are simple:

- A shift in grading standards

- New staff

- Slight defect the years in the slab lessened the severity of

Some are not so simple:

The first time they were graded it was a straight sub. Each book was seen by three graders, opinions offered, final concensus grade reached. CGC was getting paid the full grading fee if they graded out at 1.5.

The second time they were graded it was a 9.8 pre-screen. Here it gets complicated.

There is a single person that does a sanity check on the books and weeds out losers quickly. Once they get through, I don't know exactly what the grading process is. Do the graders know they came in on a 9.8 pre-screen? If they do, there could be some subtle or overt bias not to kick them. If they go through the full grading process, they are expending a lot of effort on a book that may well be rejected and they take in a $4 fee for.

All IMHO.

you have people selling 9.8 silver age books for thousands of dollars. most of them based off gpa which can be skewed. i mean the book in overstreet is 80.00 at a 9.2. then someone asks 2500 for a 9.8. based on a system ( gpa ) that is really terrible. it simply is a guide but people blindly follow it.

Do you know how Overstreet comes up with a lot of their prices?

Nobody is claiming GPA is a perfect guide for all books, but at least it's based on actual prices paid. Overstreet is still a decent resource for many things. But guide prices and reality are often pretty far apart.

i know how overstreet comes up with their prices. by no means am i saying they are right. we have a new overstreet coming out soon. so we are a month or so from those prices going up as well. i just used overstreets 9.2 prices to point out the difference in price.

ckb you are right i agree cgc looks at older books in a different way then moderns when grading. that is a different discussion though because a 9.2 is a 9.2 or a 9.8 is a 9.8 it doesnt matter the age of the book. cgc should grade all age groups the same but they dont.

i started this thread because so many people will throw a " gpa is " in their sales thread. when i first started buying graded books i thought that gpa was the end all be all. that was my ignorance. now i know that it can be skewed. not only by the latest price that a book sold for but by any price a book has sold for. again there are more shills on ebay then there are honest sellers. then you have the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like blackstar and others with their crazy prices.

i also fear for rma. when you post the 9.6 to 9.8 thread like he did their are people who will want you to go away. one minute your walking to your car from the mall. twenty minutes later you wake up in a dark room tied up with a hood being taken off your head.

The Risk Management Association (RMA), a member-driven professional association, helps banking and nonbanking institutions identify and manage the impacts of credit risk, operational risk, and market risk on their businesses and customers.