• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComiCONN - 8/27/11, Stamford CT

31 posts in this topic

Posted this morning on Craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/clt/2568294001.html

TODAY SATURDAY AUGUST 27 IS COMICCONN. (IRENE NOTWITHSTANDING)

HOURS: 10-4

FREE PARKING

ADMISSION: $10

GOLDEN AGE, SILVER AGE, AND MODERN AGE COMICS. YOU'LL GET THE BEST SELECTION OF GOLDEN AGE ANYWHERE

BUY/SELL TRADE

www.comicconn.com

Just got back. Good show overall, just wish it was closer to me... For me, it may not be worth the 1.5 hour drive to get there. However, if you live within an hour or less from the show, it's a definite must go. The parking is free and $10 admission isn't bad, especially compared to the $30 to get into a Wizard show. There was a good mix of comics, toys and artists. It's definitely larger than most local comic shows (at least in my area), but maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a Wizard World con or other major con like Boston Comic Con.

If your primary reason for going is autographs and meeting celebrities or comic artists, you will probably be better off at a Wizard World show.

If your primary focus is comic books only, then the Boston Comic Con (never been to a New York Comic Con) is the way to go.

I was impressed with the crowd. The music was way too loud though. I don't like having to shout at creators or anyone else. lol

I'd also prefer it have more of a focus on comics (especially more vintage comic dealers. There were a few. I want more)

Overall, I'm also not sure it's worth the hour and 20 minute drive.

Yes, the music was ridiculously loud! You had to yell just to be heard. Were they just playing theme songs from movies and TV shows or were they trying to "mix" them? I think I saw DJ Jazzy Jeff behind the board...

Also, is the guy from Star Wars that said, "These aren't the droids we're looking for" actually a celebrity? I'm a big Star Wars (original trilogy) fan, but even I don't have any interest in seeing that guy. He had one line in the movie and you never saw his face. Was it even his voice they used or was he just filling the storm trooper costume?

The landspeeder was pretty cool though.

I didn't bother going--though I originally wanted to--since I wasn't sure how the rain was going to be and I HATE driving on the Merritt when it's raining.

Fixed that for you.

I went today and thought it was a great show. There were some real bargains to be had.

I was very impressed by the enthusiastic crowd!

I'm definitely going to set up at this show next year. I loved the vibe.

I didn't bother going--though I originally wanted to--since I wasn't sure how the rain was going to be and I HATE driving on the Merritt when it's raining.

Fixed that for you.

Indeed. It can be a crapfest in good weather. I ended up getting on route 8 even though it was out of my way.

I believe so. Good attendance for a one day and weather issues!

Based on the forecast we were expecting a clear ride home leaving by 1:30 pm, a 2.5 hour trip down turned into a 3.5 trip back with rain related traffic(volume wasn't bad, just insufficiently_thoughtful_persons driving). There were some guest cancellations due to weather, such as Michael Gray ( :cry: ), Rodney Ramos and a few others. The guests that I spoke to there were super nice, heard some great "That was my first work!" & "That guy is great to work with!" stories as well.