• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in the Sitcoms

51 posts in this topic

Everybody loves Raymond where Pee Wee Herman is the comic store owner.

The guy who co-starred in Father Ted as the dimwitted Dougal McGuire went on to star as a super-hero in a BBC sitcom called My Hero. Not particularly good, but it was about super-heroes.

Sweet mother of pearl....

Please tell me you are only aware of My Hero in passing and that you didn't put yourself through watching it.

Ardal O'Hanlan was comic genius in Father Ted and should have taken one look at this show and run a mile.

There are three episodes of MASH with comics.

In one of them, Radar is sleeping with a copy of an Avengers issue on his chest

In another, Frank Burns while looking for stolen money, pulls of bunch of Radar's comics from a desk drawer.

The third one involves Radar talking to another radio operator (Sparky). Sparky is holding a comic that he describes as a Captain Marvel annual.

Not a sitcom but a Monty Python sketch (titled the dull life of a city stockbroker or somesuch) shows Michael Palin reading a copy of Captain Action with the title covered over to say something else.

The guy who co-starred in Father Ted as the dimwitted Dougal McGuire went on to star as a super-hero in a BBC sitcom called My Hero. Not particularly good, but it was about super-heroes.

Sweet mother of pearl....

Please tell me you are only aware of My Hero in passing and that you didn't put yourself through watching it.

Ardal O'Hanlan was comic genius in Father Ted and should have taken one look at this show and run a mile.

I decided to watch five minutes of one episode (because of Ardal) and barely made it through that. It was desperately broad, dated comedy. Linehan and Matthews had nothing to do with it, obviously.

Sounds like a goof from the production team, that one. MASH was set in the Korean War, which ended about a decade before Avengers 1 hit the stands.

Sounds like a goof from the production team, that one. MASH was set in the Korean War, which ended about a decade before Avengers 1 hit the stands.

Yeah, lol plus it's a bronze age Avengers. I guess they weren't so concerned with that level of accuracy.

Yeah, lol plus it's a bronze age Avengers. I guess they weren't so concerned with that level of accuracy.

Bronze Age? They just weren't trying....

Well, it was the early 70's. Wasn't like they could just hop on ebay and grab some random atom age title on the cheap. But yeah, not trying too hard lol

Would've been nifty if Radar had been reading a copy of Tales From the Crypt, although the studio would probably have vetoed that notion....

I remember as a kid watching UK sitcom George and Mildred when the neighbours' kid was reading X-Men 97.

Though that was great.

But seriously, Spaced is amazing.

I think there's probably a couple more Mash episodes with Radar reading comics. I seem to recall an episode where he's reading a silver age marvel--Sgt Fury comes to mind, but i could be wrong, maybe Capt Savage.

Comics were a recurring story point in the mid-late seasons of Rosanne and were positively portrayed as well. Darlene and her boyfriend David were both into independent comics and were trying to write and draw comics. Darlene's room was filled with posters, etc for a variety of indy comics.

Comics show up on That 70's Show as well. You can often see them on the coffee table in the basement, and someone will be reading one from time to time, more often in episodes from the earlier seasons I think.

Not a sitcom but a Monty Python sketch (titled the dull life of a city stockbroker or somesuch) shows Michael Palin reading a copy of Captain Action with the title covered over to say something else.

How could I forget this Python classic.

Here is a webisode clip from Warehouse 13 on SyFy about the team dealing with Frank Wertham's comic book collection that does spooky stuffs. Don't mind the Prius commercial slipped in there.

If your looking for more info on a lot of TV shows that have had comics in them, check out the old thread Comic Books IN Movies. You will see all kinds of shows and films that have comics listed by a lot of people from these boards. A lot of old shows like Van Dyke Show, Hee Haw, Too Close For Comfort, Webster and many more. Feel free to use the info. I update the thread every now and then.

If you get a list together I would like to see it. (thumbs u