• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Resolving Forum Transaction

155 posts in this topic

Was signature required with delivery? That is very, very important when you ship expensive items.

The seller is ultimately responsible for ensuring the items makes its way to the buyer; however, this is a unique situation where it was confirmed delibered. Also, as the buyer I would NOT allow it to be shipped to a central point (like an office in an appartment complex).

Am I understanding that's where it went, then it just disappeared?

Edit: ALSO, obtain the CGC cert number and contact local comic shops and check Ebay regularly.

Bad situation to be sure. This sounds like the USPS delivered the book to the correct location and there was theft afterwards.

File a police report for theft and then file an insurance claim on the building since they took responsibility for packages being delivered. It will at least get some attention.

(thumbs u

In this day and age, I can't believe the building doesn't have a security camera that shows every bit of mail or packages the conciege takes in, as well as a camera watching the area where they are kept. Insurance companies would most likely insist on these as precursors to obtaining insurance. They may not be willing to share them with a private party, but a police investigation would get them.

I have NEVER shipped a book valued over $250 without signature confirmation. Even when the extra cost had to come out of my pocket. Headache insurance.

I would give it some time to see if the package is located and if not I would be inclined to split the loss.

Thanks for all of the responses. Enough of you have responded that splitting the loss seems appropriate given a variety of things that perhaps I could have done differently.

I find it interesting that a number of folks say that they "always" do sig confirmation or send it registered. I've done a number (probably close to 100) high dollar transactions (more than $500-$1k) over the time I've been here... and short of express mail I've had signature confirmation or registered mail on less than 10 of them.

Regardless, this incident has certainly changed my philosophy on this.

insurance for more than 250 requires a signature, according to the PO policy...a signature confirmation is redundant and is not nec. if insured for 800...so, that point is moot... file a claim with the PO, requiring them to provide the "proof" of delivery which is the electronic signature or the slip signature with the ins # listed...

the PO was paid to insure the delivery, they are responsible for proving that, otherwise, the PO should pay the claim...my guess is that I have shipped more parcels over the years than anyone on these boards, so I hope I have provided a constructive response

This is 100 percent right! Someone had to sign for it as it was insured for over $250.

They can`t just leave it there,of course let`s hope seller really did insure it. I would want proof that the seller really insured it. I have dealt in the past with lazy or cheap sellers who said they insured stuff,but either forgot to or were to cheap to pony up a few bucks for insurance.

Thanks for all of the responses. Enough of you have responded that splitting the loss seems appropriate given a variety of things that perhaps I could have done differently.

I find it interesting that a number of folks say that they "always" do sig confirmation or send it registered. I've done a number (probably close to 100) high dollar transactions (more than $500-$1k) over the time I've been here... and short of express mail I've had signature confirmation or registered mail on less than 10 of them.

Regardless, this incident has certainly changed my philosophy on this.

You can never be too safe. (thumbs u

File a police report for theft and then file an insurance claim on the building since they took responsibility for packages being delivered. It will at least get some attention.

I think this is the only way to go at the moment because the Post Office will put heat on Building Management to investigate/explain this further. Looks like something fishy went on so to not investigate it would be a shame.

The receiver should request a printed copy of the signature from his local Post Master, than file a police report, than have them put the building management feet to the fire. Maybe there is something in his lease with regard to how mail boxes are managed.

eBay/Paypal requires signature confirmation on any sold item that's worth more than $250 - it's irrelevant whether the item is shipped insured or not. That's why people use this service.

Brian -

It is still unclear to me - did the P.O. follow its own policies and procedures?

This sucks BK. I lean towards the buyer having the responsibility, but don't think this is one where the seller or the buyer are going to walk away feeling good. The only one that gets that benefit is the replacement doorman.

I know we have a lot of folks that work for the P.O on the boards and I respect that. However, I recently had a really bad experience that resulted from them not following their own P&P's. I dropped about a dozen packages off at my local, which all were delivery confirm eBay slab sales. They didn't scan them in or the vanished before that point. When buyers started sending me "where's my item" messages, it cost me hundreds to keep folks happy. :sick:

Now I wait and make them scan each package while I watch.

9) Buyer is upset, he has no book, and no money. Buyer asks that seller split the loss because he did not use signature confirmation for a high dollar book, even though that was not requested prior to the transaction occurring. In addition, buyer states that if the transaction had been done through paypal, he could have done a charge back because the amount was over $250 and no signature confirmation was used.

Hate all this happend first and foremost Brian... but the above bold-type that your customer stated kind of bothers me.

I can understand wanting to keep customers and friends happy... but does the above mean that he was going to split the loss with you through a chargeback, or get a full refund for the whole thing and leave you standing high and dry?

It sounds/reads a little like a threat more than a attempt to settle.

Brian,

From a legal perspective, isn't the PO liable for paying the claim here? Their policies state that insurance over $200 REQUIRES a sig. They didn't obtain one. To me that would mean that they didn't do their job and are liable for paying out the insurance claim as it is a service you PAID for. As Gator said, getting sig confirmation is redundant as the insurance was supposed to be signed for as well. If the mailman isn't doing his job, as would seem to be the case here, there is no reason to think he would have obtained a sig for sig confirmation anymore than he did for insurance, as both services REQUIRE a sig.

As for your question about splitting the cost. I don't think that would be appropriate. You did everything required of you, I don't see any reason why you would be liable for the PO's mistake.

Brian -

It is still unclear to me - did the P.O. follow its own policies and procedures?

This sucks BK. I lean towards the buyer having the responsibility, but don't think this is one where the seller or the buyer are going to walk away feeling good. The only one that gets that benefit is the replacement doorman.

I know we have a lot of folks that work for the P.O on the boards and I respect that. However, I recently had a really bad experience that resulted from them not following their own P&P's. I dropped about a dozen packages off at my local, which all were delivery confirm eBay slab sales. They didn't scan them in or the vanished before that point. When buyers started sending me "where's my item" messages, it cost me hundreds to keep folks happy. :sick:

Now I wait and make them scan each package while I watch.

:eek: Did you drop the ones that didn't get scanned through a self-service chute? During P.O. hours, after or before?

Someone scanned the package? Someone has it.... the buyer needs to get a PO Box and or better place to receive his packages. Our own Greggy has lost packages in the past and went a PO Box to avoid future hassles. It sounds like this system of someone signing for it (doorman) finally failed. I feel bad for the buyer but it's all on him at this point. He asked a third party top get involved by allowing the building people to sign for his stuff. Buyer beware...

Insurance requires a signature on the other end? Doesn't it? I know that delivery confirmation is a simple scanner but I sign for receipt my USPS insured packages, at least in my neighborhood?

It always sux to hear about these situations. I once posted about my fears of this happening to me and received a lot of flack for it, but it can happen and I can think of at least 2 more bordies that now share this concern.

I didn't start buying high value books until I came here, and it sure sounds like there's no question that insured/registered is the best route for high value purchases. For me, anyway.

I sure hope it was simply misplaced somewhere at the PO and that it will be found soon. :wishluck:

PS I think the seller is off the hook FWIW

Does the Seller have private insurance on their collection? If so, I'd contact that insurance company, it usually covers mailing.

This was glossed over, but it is a key point.

The book was apparently stolen once it left the possession of the USPS. Collectibles Insurance would cover this without question. The key takeaway is that everyone selling/buying/shipping high dollar books should have collectibles insurance. Even if you only get a policy for a few thousand dollars to cover items in transit, it's a no-brainer.

Secondly, I would aggressively go after the building management. It was lost in their possession and I presume there is a reasonable expectation of security with items left with the concierge.