• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is this a 9.2?

65 posts in this topic

I don't want to all over Mark 1's great convention thread, so I separated this out.

He posted this picture of some Batmans for sale at the con:

IMG_7750.jpg

I wonder how that 227 got 9.2 with the exceptionally crunched and color-broken lower left corner, not to mention the spider-creases along the spine? It seems to me that the book should be an 8.0 at best. I've seen better-looking books with much lower grades. Is this an example of a gift-grade? Am I missing something? Did the book get graded the morning after someone got laid? Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks for not thread carping....

I didn't inspect the comic in great detail so I can't account for the back but from the pic...i've seen 9.2s like that.

Personally, I have a nicer 7.5 to be honest...CGC is just not consistent sometimes

I don't want to all over Mark 1's great convention thread, so I separated this out.

IMG_7750.jpg

I wonder how that 277 227 got 9.2 with the exceptionally crunched and color-broken lower left corner, not to mention the spider-creases along the spine? It seems to me that the book should be an 8.0 at best. I've seen better-looking books with much lower grades. Is this an example of a gift-grade? Am I missing something? Did the book get graded the morning after someone got laid? Inquiring minds need to know.

Fixed that for ya'. A soft 9.2 for sure,to me from the pic looks like an 8.5/9.0

Thanks for not thread carping....

I didn't inspect the comic in great detail so I can't account for the back but from the pic...i've seen 9.2s like that.

Personally, I have a nicer 7.5 to be honest...CGC is just not consistent sometimes

Agreed. I just submitted a few bronze age books...one looked to be an 8.0 at best...it got a 9.6. However, the next one that was an EASY 9.6 received an 8.5...makes me wonder !

IMG_7750.jpg

I wonder how that 277 227 got 9.2 with the exceptionally crunched and color-broken lower left corner, not to mention the spider-creases along the spine? It seems to me that the book should be an 8.0 at best. I've seen better-looking books with much lower grades. Is this an example of a gift-grade? Am I missing something? Did the book get graded the morning after someone got laid? Inquiring minds need to know.

Fixed that for ya'. A soft 9.2 for sure,to me from the pic looks like an 8.5/9.0

@$%^@$# The dangers of posting without enough sleep or coffee.

Anyone have Wes's phone number? It may be a tad soft, but the centering and page quality are nice.

PM on it's way....I have his email address...no number though. If someone has the number...perhaps they can let you know.

Sometimes CGC misses the boat. I just got an Adventure 300 back that I thought was an 8.5. 9.0 at best. They slabbed it at 9.4. A year ago, if someone had offered me $700 for it raw I would have jumped at the chance. Now? I just slab everything because every once in a while you get a nice grade you didn't expect....and that more than makes up for the occasional dud.

Sometimes CGC misses the boat. I just got an Adventure 300 back that I thought was an 8.5. 9.0 at best. They slabbed it at 9.4. A year ago, if someone had offered me $700 for it raw I would have jumped at the chance. Now? I just slab everything because every once in a while you get a nice grade you didn't expect....and that more than makes up for the occasional dud.

That's great for you...

However for the credibility of CGC and their longterm success...that is horrible.

CGC really needs to get QC and grading in check or the market will get another (real) competitor or all the CGC naysayers will eventually be right....slabs might become a thing of the past....

If you can't trust the grade then CGC services are worthless. My opinion of course.

Bear in mind, I am a CGC believer but when I see gift grades or undergrading...I have to shake my head in disgust.

Forgive me for this....

:ohnoez::OHNOEZ::ohnoez::OHNOEZ::ohnoez::OHNOEZ:

There. Much better.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. It is impossible to accurately assess the condition of an item from a single picture of only the front cover.

2. The book could very easily (and likely is) otherwise flawless. Just as damage has a downward pull on the overall grade, so too does above average sharpness in other areas have an upward pull. That is why a book can be 9.8 with a color breaking spine stress...it's otherwise perfect.

3. It could be a liberally graded 9.2. On another go around, it could get an 8.5. But the physical difference between a 9.2 and 8.5 is tiny. It's half a grade, within the subjectivity of grading. Different flaws have a different impact on the grade to different people, including CGC graders. What may be a big deal to some isn't to others.

The difference in price is a function of a dumb market that insists on paying multiples for tiny differences in the level of physical preservation. The insane market that has developed over tiny differences has nothing to do with CGC. The point is, a liberally graded CGC 9.2 that is "really" an 8.0 or 8.5 (and that can't be known by a picture) is light years better than most raw "NM-" books, which would grade anywhere between a 2.0 and 7.5.

To suggest that it puts "CGC's credibility at risk" continues to betray a misunderstanding of just what it is that CGC does. The wild differences in price distort and magnify what otherwise are TINY differences. Everyone expects CGC to grade every single book exactly the same every single time, and that's just ridiculous. It was ridiculous in 2002, it was ridiculous in 2006, and it's ridiculous now. It's NOT what they do. It is the MARKET which has created this nonsense, not CGC.