• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jimmy Thompson Appreciation Thread
1 1

96 posts in this topic

Thanks for the scans, Boot. This is more evidence of an over-looked artist.

113613.jpg

That Robotman is really good stuff. Thanks for posting, Boot. (thumbs u

I had never even heard of Jimmy Thompson before adamstrange mentioned him in another thread. Thanks to everyone for the contributions.

any interest in scans of the Indian Lore pages from Magic Comics?
:hi:

:hi: :hi:

I was waiting to scan a few new additions to my collection, but it doesn't look like that'll happen soon. I remember buying a copy of Magic 25 in 2004 because it had that odd cover with Blondie wearing the flower pot hat. I sat down to read it (hard to imagine that there was a time when I'd actually read every golden age book I owned) and saw the usual stuff: "these old Blodie reprints are fun", "this Mandrake story is kinda neat", "oh cool, Lone Ranger". And then I got to the Indian Lore pages...

Anyhow, here's the stories from a few Magic Comics.

Thanks for posting the additional scans! :applause:

Magic%252520015-51.jpg

Thank you very much for this thread!

It's a treasure to have images of Red Men and the rest that's posted here!

My fellow comic book archaeologist, Frank Young, and I are writing a piece on Jimmy Thompson for a future issue of Alter Ego.

We'd appreciate it if anyone has scans of the following to help with our article and research:

Thompson's work as a staffer at the Philadelphia Ledger (1930's)

Red Eagle

Gang Busters

Early issues of Famous Funnies that reprinted War on Crime comics that Thompson drew

Music Master stories by Thompson that appeared in Heroic Comics

Also if anyone has any photos of Jimmy Thompson or biographical information (other than the great 1-page Goulart bio that someone very kindly shared on this thread earlier), that would be very helpful!

We've posted an article on Jimmy Thompson's Timely work, with several complete stories on our Comic Book Attic blog. Feel free to swing by and check it out. http://comicbookattic.blogspot.com/2011/05/greatest-comic-book-artist-you-never.html

Also Frank did some nice writing and reprinting of Jimmy Thompson's Robotman work at CartoonSnap (animator and cartoonist Sherm Cohen's great blog): http://cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2009/09/robotman-and-jimmy-thompson-golden-age.html

To contribute to this thread, here's a page of Jimmy Thompson original art, from his work on The Music Master series (Heroic Comics #23). While it's not exactly a standout page for Thompson, we can still note (cough cough, no pun intended) his skilled brush work, appealing cartoony style, and distinctive lettering.

heroic23.jpg

This is a longshot, but worth a try. My friend and fellow comics scholar, Frank Young, and I are researching the work of Jimmy Thompson - most notable for his long stint on DC's "Robotman" feature. Before DC, Thompson worked at David McKay. We have just recently heard from Ron Goulart that he recalls seeing an actual photo of Jimmy Thompson. His exact words: "I used to have an issue of King Comics or one of the other McKay's and it had a picture of Thompson judging a contest involving one of his Indain pages. "

This would very likely be a 1939 issue of King Comics. We don't know the issue number.

This is BIG NEWS to us, since this is the first and only such photo of this important Golden Age artist that is currently known. Biographical data about Thompson is very very limited, so getting a scan of this page, with Thompson's photo, would be a huge help to us.

Now my humble request: Is there anyone out there who might be able to email me a scan of this page? There are not many King or Magic comics scanned, mainly because the books are mostly strip reprints, which are of limited interest. So scans are awfully hard to come by.

Many Thanks,

Paul Tumey

Cole's Comics

Comic Book Attic

paultumey@gmail.com

Hey BangZoom!

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing that photo and clarifying what the contest was. We were thinking it could be the coloring contest from Red Eagle (Feature Book 16, August 1938), but this makes more sense.

Oh gee I wish we could locate that photo of Jimmy Thompson! Thank you for sharing this -- it's a stunning page in itself!