• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

Well, id say no matter what human factors are involved, after 4 phone calls you should get a return call before 8 days have elapsed from either Jamie or one of his 30+ employees. Even if its just a "jamies, sick, on vacation, busy etc but he knows about this and will get back to you when he can". Even that would usually smooth the situation and the person would be willing to wait longer. Being completely ignored and having no one call you back even for 8 days isnt acceptable in my book.

I probably wouldnt even wait 8 days but after 30 days?!? No question whatsoever ive have taken my business elsewhere and would not even consider doing business with someone who waited 30 days to get back to me.

8 days is an exaggeration.

If we are talking about Super Con which ran from July 1-4 in Miami, then it's not 8 days.

The show ended July 4th, the calls started coming July 5th. Jamie was most likely somewhere between Georgia and Kentucky on the 5th, lol. It's almost 1500 miles back to Chicago so it's not like he teleported back.

So if he's back in town on the 6th, he probably made it back in time to get his order of new books to have them distributed to his 9 stores for Thursday the 7th.

It's more like 5 days from when he got back into town to the time this got posted here, which isn't ideal, but given the vitriol of this thread it doesn't need any exaggeration and hyperbole helping it along.

About the only thing you forgot was to add 3 more days for your buddy to scratch his and wander the internet after the show :eyeroll:

You are right, facts are only getting in the way. Let's make in an even year that he hasn't gotten back to him. :eyeroll:

Even if the issue is resolved to my satisfaction i still have the right not to do future business with that individual in the future.

Allow myself to introduce....myself.

original.jpg

Seriously though, I'm currently dealing with a very respected Forumite on a deal that's gone over quite a bit over the 30 day limit. Do I out him? Do I raise a public stink about it? No. Stuff happens. It sucks for me, but its not worth hurting their reputation since I know the deal will get done.

Seriously though, I'm currently dealing with a very respected Forumite on a deal that's gone over quite a bit over the 30 day limit. Do I out him? Do I raise a public stink about it? No. Stuff happens. It sucks for me, but its not worth hurting their reputation since I know the deal will get done.

It's not me this time. I shipped your *spoon* ages ago.

:acclaim:

You know what I would like to see? One day, I would love for a dealer, any dealer, to come on the boards and post a list of all the customers he's never going to deal with again. You know, and list all the reasons why:

They put a comic on hold on Thursday and then came back on Sunday to tell me they bought the same from XYZ because it was cheaper.

They offered me $150 on a $400 comic.

They put a comic on hold and then never came back.

They spent twenty minutes telling me why they couldn't afford Poverty #1 in a CGC 9.8.

They asked for a discount on dollar books.

They just wanted to see it. They have one at home exactly like it and wanted to know what it was worth.

They smelled like azz.

They always ask me for a dealer badge, but then they always buy from someone else.

They ask for covers by Neal Adams, so you go and pull fifteen of them from your boxes, and then they don't buy any.

They pull fifteen books out from the box, inspect them all, and then leave - without putting the books back.

They stand in front of your booth talking, and never buy anything.

They say at show A "get me this book and I'll be sure to buy it" and then at show B when you have the book, they back off.

Customer orders the wrong stuff which he admits to. Wants new stuff doesnt want to pay for the shipping because he already paid for it on his previous order, then does a charge back.

Customer states he pays 1/10th the price for a product, i tell him to go buy and ill give him 5 times what he paid for if he can get it at that price, customer shuts up and gets mad at me after.

Customer states he buys in bulk, he wants 10 8x10 toploaders doh! which doesnt even meet the minimum order requirements.

I have others ill post but have to get back to work now.

Even if the issue is resolved to my satisfaction i still have the right not to do future business with that individual in the future.

original.jpg

You know i love you buddy but i really dont understand this reasoning which i see a LOT here on the boards. Everyone is so terrified or unwilling to say anything bad about anyone that might "hurt their business".

In my book, doing business isnt some god given right that everyone has no matter what. When someone isnt doing things the right way, i have no problem with people airing it. Ive bought books from you at least a few times and every time i couldnt have been happier. You always respond immediately and keep in touch and everything about the deals were top notch. Thats why i would always buy from you in the future no hesitation whatsoever. Not even a second thought. If you waited 5,6,7,8 days to answer my pms, i probably would never buy a thing from you.

Maybe i'm spoiled. I buy alot of books on here mostly from guys like rube11, cheetah, Jive, seanfingh etc. I'll PM them a few times a month asking if they have this book or that book and almost always they respond within an hour or two. Very, VERY rarely, it will take until the next day to get a response but obviously thats completely acceptable but even that rarely happens. Throughout the entire process, they stay in touch with me and answer any questions or problems i have within a day at most and again usually within a few hours. Thats why i will always do business with guys like that and always talk glowingly about them.

If they made me wait endlessly to even answer a PM, i'd take my business elsewhere. Now i understand this guy has a business to run and cant immediately call back everyone within an hour. Seems to me though, that once he got back and got the message, something like "oh mess, thats the guy i told id be back the next day and we talked about buying a JIM 83. Let me give that guy a call". Even if i was INSANELY busy. id still call or have an employee call to just say "things are crazy now but i havent forgotten about you. Give me a little time and i'll give you a call and we'll get everything worked out".

I dont think thats a crazy level of customer service to expect (shrug)

btw George, WORST FDQ ever! lol

Well, id say no matter what human factors are involved, after 4 phone calls you should get a return call before 8 days have elapsed from either Jamie or one of his 30+ employees. Even if its just a "jamies, sick, on vacation, busy etc but he knows about this and will get back to you when he can". Even that would usually smooth the situation and the person would be willing to wait longer. Being completely ignored and having no one call you back even for 8 days isnt acceptable in my book.

I probably wouldnt even wait 8 days but after 30 days?!? No question whatsoever ive have taken my business elsewhere and would not even consider doing business with someone who waited 30 days to get back to me.

And that is well within your rights. But on these boards we have a dedicated forum for complaints and guidelines. For me, I make up my mind much earlier then 30 days wether or not I will deal with a person after a deal that sours. I still wait the agreed upon 30 days to out them since a lot can happen in the meantime. Even if the issue is resolved to my satisfaction i still have the right not to do future business with that individual in the future.

Joey, your post is valid...for this forum only.

In the business world it's different.

Let's use you as an example. I sent some comics to you last year for a press. When I called you....you answered your phone. Or, you called me back in a timely manner.

If you had not called me back in 8 days and still haven't called back even after a thread like this pops up....I would never even consider doing business with you.

You run a business. Don't try to make this into some misunderstanding. Jamie has 9 stores. That's more than enough people in his camp to pick up a phone to a guy who IS WILLING TO BUY MORE COMICS FROM HIM.

I just don't get all these excuses from people who actually have a business.

The 30 days period here is so forum members can work it out and sometimes individuals go away, get sick, whatever...

This is a business and when a business says "no problem, bring it back tomorrow" and then the guy is a no show, and then after several follow up calls and no answer...that shows me the business doesn't care. It's not just about Jamie. It's a symptom of his own ways of dealing with people. If the owner isn't nice to customers, why should his staff?

You lead by example.

Anyway, you guys can all go on and on about how I didn't wait long enough :blahblah:

I work and have a life also. I'm not going to chase down some store for weeks. If my business isn't important to them...I will go elsewhere. And I have.

And that is well within your rights. But on these boards we have a dedicated forum for complaints and guidelines. For me, I make up my mind much earlier then 30 days wether or not I will deal with a person after a deal that sours. I still wait the agreed upon 30 days to out them since a lot can happen in the meantime. Even if the issue is resolved to my satisfaction i still have the right not to do future business with that individual in the future.

Let's use you as an example. I sent some comics to you last year for a press. When I called you....you answered your phone. Or, you called me back in a timely manner.

If you had not called me back in 8 days and still haven't called back even after a thread like this pops up....I would never even consider doing business with you.

You run a business. Don't try to make this into some misunderstanding. Jamie has 9 stores. That's more than enough people in his camp to pick up a phone to a guy who IS WILLING TO BUY MORE COMICS FROM HIM.

The 30 days period here is so forum members can work it out and sometimes individuals go away, get sick, whatever...

This is a business and when a business says "no problem, bring it back tomorrow" and then the guy is a no show, and then after several follow up calls and no answer...that shows me the business doesn't care. It's not just about Jamie. It's a symptom of his own ways of dealing with people. If the owner isn't nice to customers, why should his staff?

You lead by example.

Anyway, you guys can all go on and on about how I didn't wait long enough :blahblah:

I work and have a life also. I'm not going to chase down some store for weeks. If my business isn't important to them...I will go elsewhere. And I have.

Understood Mark, but you did out him in these forums.

Please read it again Roy. :foryou::baiting:

Please read it again Roy. :foryou::baiting:

lol

:flamed:

Seems to me though, that once he got back and got the message, something like "oh mess, thats the guy i told id be back the next day and we talked about buying a JIM 83. Let me give that guy a call". l

Thanks Jason. I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

To be completely clear....when I was with Jamie I was looking at all of his early JIMs. I went behind the front to look at his wall and was looking at several books. The JIM 83 that I looked at had no price. I asked...how much is it. He said....I think $1,500 or $1,000. In my mind I was thinking big difference.... lol

I asked well which is the price and he said probably a $1,000. I then put it back on the wall and continued looking. I left his booth and came back later to work a deal with him on the 2 JIMs I wanted (of which one was the dupe - JIM 96). When I got back to his table he said he found some more. In the pile was a JIM 83 GRR. I figured for the time being I will buy that one and see what I find at a later date. I bought the three comics from him.

But, when I was called back from his store and said I could go back the next day to exchange it for something else...I was really thinking about that JIM 83 he had. I took out $1,000 and figured I could work a deal with him on the JIM 83. He lost out on the possible sale when he didn't show up.

When I called his store again and spoke to Angry John I gave the guy my early JIM want list. Still no call back. How in anybody's mind is that smart business and doing the right thing? How in anyway am I at fault for airing this out here? I wait a week.

Those are the facts.

Seems to me though, that once he got back and got the message, something like "oh mess, thats the guy i told id be back the next day and we talked about buying a JIM 83. Let me give that guy a call". l

Thanks Jason. I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

To be completely clear....when I was with Jamie I was looking at all of his early JIMs. I went behind the front to look at his wall and was looking at several books. The JIM 83 that I looked at had no price. I asked...how much is it. He said....I think $1,500 or $1,000. Big difference.... lol

I asked well which is the price and he said probably a $1,000. I then put it back on the wall and continued looking. I left his booth and came back later to work a deal with him on the 2 JIMs I wanted (of which one was the dupe - JIM 96). When I got back to his table he said he found some more. In the pile was a JIM 83 GRR. I figured for the time being I will buy that one and see what I find at a later date. I bought the three comics from him.

But, when I was called back from his store and said I could go back the next day to exchange it for something else...I was really thinking about that JIM 83 he had. I took out $1,000 and figured I could work a deal with him on the JIM 83. He lost out on the possible sale when he didn't show up.

When I called his store again and spoke to Angry John I gave the guy my early JIM want list. Still no call back. How in anybody's mind is that smart business and doing the right thing? How in anyway am I at fault for airing this out here? I wait a week.

Those are the facts.

You also have to expect that there are many of us here that have had dealings with Jamie and have gotten over any of these incidents and have had nothing but great dealings since. You could have started a thread that you had nothing but great things to say about Jamie and a few would have added their 2c stating how much they hate dealing with him.

Where else am I going to post it? If he had a Graham Crackers Comics Forum...I would have gone there instead. (wouldn't that be a fun forum to visit.... :sick: )

My comment, I was set up as the 1/2 off trades guy, had 2 corner booths at the show. Mike Broder who runs the gig is an honestly hard working good guy so I am just throwing this out there as I am sure he will never read this thread and wont be able to voice his opinion on his baby, Supercon.

For me, the show was absurdly strong, attendance was more than solid thru all 4 days. I spoke to Wes Hagen, a dealer from Canada who was set up at show and had a good 200 boxes of material, he said he rocked sales wise and will be back next year. I know I will be back as well. Wes had a spread of $3 and $5 boxes that had people glued to his booth the whole weekend.

Mike had it set up months prior that it would be a 4 day show, but with an option for dealers to just set up for 3 days, as 4th of july is of course a big family holiday so there was a prior knowledge by everyone that many of the vendors would not be set up on monday.

I live in the Boca area, Supercon is in Miami which is about 1 hour each way, but I can say I hate that drive, on thursday setup, it was raining buckets, and the road was filled with kamikazes trying to ram my van, so I can understand that being a factor in the grumpy meter of th OP.

Dan, you worked the show for Mike, what did you hear about attendance figures? My guess is it had to be a record.

original.jpg

You know i love you buddy but i really dont understand this reasoning which i see a LOT here on the boards. Everyone is so terrified or unwilling to say anything bad about anyone that might "hurt their business".

In my book, doing business isnt some god given right that everyone has no matter what. When someone isnt doing things the right way, i have no problem with people airing it. Ive bought books from you at least a few times and every time i couldnt have been happier. You always respond immediately and keep in touch and everything about the deals were top notch. Thats why i would always buy from you in the future no hesitation whatsoever. Not even a second thought. If you waited 5,6,7,8 days to answer my pms, i probably would never buy a thing from you.

Maybe i'm spoiled. I buy alot of books on here mostly from guys like rube11, cheetah, Jive, seanfingh etc. I'll PM them a few times a month asking if they have this book or that book and almost always they respond within an hour or two. Very, VERY rarely, it will take until the next day to get a response but obviously thats completely acceptable but even that rarely happens. Throughout the entire process, they stay in touch with me and answer any questions or problems i have within a day at most and again usually within a few hours. Thats why i will always do business with guys like that and always talk glowingly about them.

If they made me wait endlessly to even answer a PM, i'd take my business elsewhere. Now i understand this guy has a business to run and cant immediately call back everyone within an hour. Seems to me though, that once he got back and got the message, something like "oh mess, thats the guy i told id be back the next day and we talked about buying a JIM 83. Let me give that guy a call". Even if i was INSANELY busy. id still call or have an employee call to just say "things are crazy now but i havent forgotten about you. Give me a little time and i'll give you a call and we'll get everything worked out".

I dont think thats a crazy level of customer service to expect (shrug)

btw George, WORST FDQ ever! lol

When you do enough business with someone, they earn a certain level of "trust equity" with me, so I'm less likely to get upset if someone I've bought 20 books from over the course of five years has a bad/busy stretch and takes a little longer to get a deal done. Am I a little annoyed? Yes, but that's hardly reason enough to make a public spectacle of it. Again, stuff happens.

Put it this way, does every positive transaction that someone comes through on get "outed" on the boards or put into a Kudos thread? If not, then why should every "less then stellar" transaction?

You know what I would like to see? One day, I would love for a dealer, any dealer, to come on the boards and post a list of all the customers he's never going to deal with again. You know, and list all the reasons why:

They put a comic on hold on Thursday and then came back on Sunday to tell me they bought the same from XYZ because it was cheaper.

They spent twenty minutes telling me why they couldn't afford Poverty #1 in a CGC 9.8.

They just wanted to see it. They have one at home exactly like it and wanted to know what it was worth.

They smelled like azz.

They always ask me for a dealer badge, but then they always buy from someone else.

Greatest post in boards history! :applause:

You lead by example.

These forums are slightly out of phase with the real world forums, so it's okay. :gossip:

They smelled like azz.

Greatest post in boards history! :applause:

You don't read much, do you? :baiting: