• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

I have been collecting comics since I was eight and I am almost 52 now. I have been to hundreds of shows and conventions starting with Orlando-con in 1975 and have done mail order since the old days of CBG and RBCC (my first CBG ad was 1974 and my first ad in the Overstreet PG was 1995 or so). I have dealt with the great and the a**holes, and everyone in between. I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a more pleasant and honest person than Jamie Graham. I would think that if you cant deal with Jamie, there is something wrong with you and not Jamie.

That certainly doesnt seem to jive with what a LOT of people, even some of his friends sticking up for him, are saying in this thread hm

In my book, the measure of a man is not how he treats his friends but how he treats a complete stranger (thumbs u

No, what this doesn't jive with is Mark's effort to paint Jamie Graham as some sort of snarling caricature of the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Yes, Mark is upset because he didn't get his call back. We get it. Pretending that this somehow proves that Jamie doesn't give a about customer service, that he treats anyone he doesn't know with disrespect, or that he couldn't care less about you unless you have $20,000 to blow on his books, is as ridiculous as Mark's overreaction to his personal voicemail greeting.

You want to deliver absolute, 100% perfection when it comes to customer service? Great ... but out here, in the real world, stuff sometimes falls between the cracks. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

:eyeroll:

Jesus, we get it, you do business with the guy and like him. Your trying to paint him as mother Theresa is twice as ridiculous as anything mark has said. Even his friends have said in this thread that he can certainly be "gruff" with his customers.

Yeah, stuff falls thru the cracks somtimes. Personally, I'd look to see how someone deals with the people that falls thru the cracks once it's brought to their attention. If someone was posting this on the Internet like this about me and my business, I would immediately call them and try to resolve the problem. I don't care how viciously they attacked my business, they would get a call from me bein perfectly nice trying to convince them to give me another chance. I guess that's just me???

I'm not exactly impressed with how this was handled. Apparently you are so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree (shrug)

I have been to about 25 major conventions in the past three years, I have picked up books from Jamie about 15 times. I have not had a problem dealing with him.

I'm going back to playing Angry Birds. :sumo:

I might just buy a book from his next week also.

I have been collecting comics since I was eight and I am almost 52 now. I have been to hundreds of shows and conventions starting with Orlando-con in 1975 and have done mail order since the old days of CBG and RBCC (my first CBG ad was 1974 and my first ad in the Overstreet PG was 1995 or so). I have dealt with the great and the a**holes, and everyone in between. I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a more pleasant and honest person than Jamie Graham. I would think that if you cant deal with Jamie, there is something wrong with you and not Jamie.

I was with you until your last sentence.

That certainly doesnt seem to jive with what a LOT of people, even some of his friends sticking up for him, are saying in this thread hm

In my book, the measure of a man is not how he treats his friends but how he treats a complete stranger (thumbs u

No, what this doesn't jive with is Mark's effort to paint Jamie Graham as some sort of snarling caricature of the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Yes, Mark is upset because he didn't get his call back. We get it. Pretending that this somehow proves that Jamie doesn't give a about customer service, that he treats anyone he doesn't know with disrespect, or that he couldn't care less about you unless you have $20,000 to blow on his books, is as ridiculous as Mark's overreaction to his personal voicemail greeting.

You want to deliver absolute, 100% perfection when it comes to customer service? Great ... but out here, in the real world, stuff sometimes falls between the cracks. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Let's be fair. Mark is unhappy because he was told he could make an exchange,

drove a long distance to do it, couldn't do it and now can't contact the dealer. I

wouldn't have started this thread in Mark's position but I can understand his

frustration.

Jamie may be a great seller and I appreciate his willingness to do an exchange but

this thread points to a few things he could do better.

Any retailer should pay attention to legitimate complaints and look at them as an

opportunity to improve their business model and create dedicated customers.

Now let's lay this thread to sleep.

I pray the Mods not one more peep.

Let's give it a rest, the old college try.

I'm beginning to hear baby Jesus cry.

Dork :baiting:

Dork :baiting:

Of course, but you secretly love me. <3

I'm not Jamie's friend nor is he mine. I may have introduced myself at some point but I doubt he remembers my name. When I go to conventions though, he's generally one of the few dealers I make a point to stop at. My experience has been that he's almost always got interesting new material, is very pleasant to talk to, and is willing to meaningfully deal (which I can't say for a number of other bigger and more well-known dealers that I routinely just pass by). I've never had a bad experience with him. I'm not trying to defend him, just giving you my honest and unbiased opinion.

I'm not Jamie's friend nor is he mine. I may have introduced myself at some point but I doubt he remembers my name. When I go to conventions though, he's generally one of the few dealers I make a point to stop at. My experience has been that he's almost always got interesting new material, is very pleasant to talk to, and is willing to meaningfully deal (which I can't say for a number of other bigger and more well-known dealers that I routinely just pass by). I've never had a bad experience with him. I'm not trying to defend him, just giving you my honest and unbiased opinion.

Dealing with anybody will get a wide spectrum of feedback from people.

For most dealers, you will hear a majority of positive (otherwise they wouldn't stay in business for long), a minority of negative a few who don't have an opinion either way.

Dealing with someone can be the same as politics, or dealing with family (the two are eerily alike): you just can't please everyone.

That's not to say that dealers don't screw up or make mistakes, but you never hear people posting incessantly about dealer's positives. Their scores, deals, steals, free gifts, etc.

You only hear about the negatives when someone has an outrage.

Mark has a definite gripe (and this is not focused on Mark but more towards the general need that the public feels the need to publicly gripe about one deal that is not entirely black and white), but the question is, when do you make it public?

Personally, for me, because it's real life, we should realize that people make mistakes and that people need an opportunity to make things right, I generally give people 2 and sometimes 3 strikes before I write them off.

Judging someone after 1 incidence is just too convenient. If the tables were turned, we'd all be burned under those rules.

2 or 3 incidences are enough to show a pattern, and adds a lot more credibility to a discussion.

I'm mainly posting this now because of the Lange's thread next door.

Two very prominent dealers getting roasted within a couple of days over incidences that are not entirely black and white.

We've become a demand feed, instant gratification society and in my opinion a little patience is in order. At least before judgment is made and a witch hunt is made public.

2c

lol

Love it! (thumbs u

drove a long distance to do it, couldn't do it and now can't contact the dealer. I

Which I was in total agreement with before I found out the book was put up for sale on this very forum the DAY BEFORE he went to meet for the exchange.

That changed total agreement to total confusion.

Then the book sold on this very forum, and the tenor of the thread changed from being inconvenienced in the exchange on Monday that did not occur, and switched to not getting a phone call back to make the exchange, which led to more confusion because there was nothing left to exchange a day or so later.

Now the book that was the subject of the aborted exchange, the book that was the subject of the phone calls and the un-returned messages, the book that led to this thread being created IS no longer owned by the OP. Yet the thread remains, won't die, and the discussion continues.

This thread needs a DNR and we need to respect it.

Here you go:

2d11wz6.jpg

lol i agreee, let's rush over to the zilla thread, still plenty of meat on those bones. i'm sure that one can be dragged out for another 40 pages

This whole week has been one long Friday thread. doh!

I think this thread should be pinned to the top to denote its permanent 'win' status :thumbsup:

Which I was in total agreement with before I found out the book was put up for sale on this very forum the DAY BEFORE he went to meet for the exchange.

Then the book sold on this very forum, and the tenor of the thread changed from being inconvenienced in the exchange on Monday that did not occur, and switched to not getting a phone call back to make the exchange, which led to more confusion because there was nothing left to exchange a day or so later.

Now the book that was the subject of the aborted exchange, the book that was the subject of the phone calls and the un-returned messages, the book that led to this thread being created IS no longer owned by the OP. Yet the thread remains, won't die, and the discussion continues.

First of all :bump::sumo:

I think your dates are wrong. Mark's con report was done here on 7/2 - he went back next day & listed book in marketplace on the evening of the 3rd. The book was NOT for sale here when he went back to the con to exchange it & haggle for his JIM 83.

The book WAS for sale when messages were being left.

First of all :bump::sumo:

I think your dates are wrong. Mark's con report was done here on 7/2 - he went back next day & listed book in marketplace on the evening of the 3rd. The book was NOT for sale here when he went back to the con to exchange it & haggle for his JIM 83.

The book WAS for sale when messages were being left.

He said he went back to exchange the book and the dealer didn't show up for the last day of the convention. That would have been July 4th, the last day of the con.

The book was for sale here on July 3rd.

So, who's the dealer?

Enough people guessed without me even mentioning a name. So clearly this person's reputation is well known.

It's Jamie Graham of Graham Cracker Comics.

I'll even change the name of my thread so people can search for it from now on.

I just wanted to be civil about it without naming names as I don't want to hurt another person's business but since all have asked....that's who it is.

to each his own. he's one of my favorite guys in the biz.