• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good news for all Fantastic Four Collectors...

71 posts in this topic

Did I hear that someone wanted a 5??? 27_laughing.gif

Like a lot of collectors i am going to buy CGC copies at the highest grade i can get and then have a reader copy with it.

Does that mean 9.4/9.6/9.8 only? If not, what's the lowest grade you'll go after?

I couldn't go for 9.6 and 9.8 at the moment.

I would be looking for the grades i could get, 1 would be low grade and i would get higher grades as the prices went down.

Aces, i would be interested in some of those at the right price, but no 5??? frown.gif

Best Silver Age run there is: FF 38-60:

Dr. Doom battle, Silver Surfer crossover, gives Dr. Doom the "power cosmic": 57-60

The best of the best! My favorite SA story of all time. Still looking for a VF (or better) copy of #60. Hard to find a copy with a white cover. 893frustrated.gif

It is difficult to find tho.

Tell me about it. I've been looking for over a year. I have offered dealers in my area above guide for a copy, with no avail.

If you ever find your CGC'd copy, and want to part with your raw one, shoot me a PM.

Venom,

Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting Fantastic Fours. I honestly believe that the FF is the single greatest comic book run ever produced.

If you just want the Silver Age, it can be tough getting high grade copies (especially on issues 3, 6, 7 11, 13 & 18), but you can find low to mid grade at decent prices.

Anyway, good luck and happy collecting

Thanks to all for replying, i have enjoyed reading all of your helpful information.

I would love to hear more about your FF experiences with Rarity, fave stories, hard to find issues etc.

I have renamed this thread so we could have it to show our recent FF purchases and info etc.

Danny

Hey Cap I'm surprised to hear you say issue 6 is hard to get in high grade. In the last six months I have seen a number of them up for sale but I hardly ever see any high grade issues of 4 and 5? confused-smiley-013.gif

Above 9.0? No you haven't. To Tripps, high grade begins around 9.4 and up... blush.gif

Ok, enough gushing over the FF already. The run can't hold a candle to ASM. devil.gif
shocked.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifI mostly agree with you. ASM rocks, but FF is more fun to collect since it's so much more of a challenge to get the issues in grade. The hunt is much more challenging! cloud9.gif Speaking of the hunt, Drummy is making me very happy lately by selling me issues I've been hunting for YEARS without much success such as this one I got last week. cloud9.gif This is the third or fourth book I've been the second-high bidder on he ended up selling to me anyway (he outbid me on this on Heritage last year)...Drummy, it'd be a lot easier if you'd just let me win the FIRST time from now on!!! tongue.gif

Actually, FF, I was wrong on that one. I didn't outbid you on Heritage (I did bid on it, but I misremembered which books I won from them).

I bought it from the high bidder but then had to move it to buy other books! When will my crazy carousel of buying end? confused.gif I'm just too impatient...

But I'm glad you like it! I liked it, too, for the brief time I had it.

Dan

Why did you choose fantastic four as your username then? sumo.gif I sense a traitor in our ranks tongue.gif

Ok, enough gushing over the FF already. The run can't hold a candle to ASM. devil.gif

shocked.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I mostly agree with you. ASM rocks, but FF is more fun to collect since it's so much more of a challenge to get the issues in grade.

Why did you choose fantastic four as your username then? sumo.gif I sense a traitor in our ranks tongue.gif

Because the day I tried to change my ebay username from "ruddjames" to something else, all the combinations of "amazing-spider-man" I could think of were taken. tongue.gif I tried "fantastic-four," E-Bay let me change it to that, and that was the end of it since they only let you change usernames once every 30 days. blush.gif Haven't tried any new names since then.

But I'm not a traitor!!! I probably spend more on FF than any other title...my registry set would be around 30,000 to 40,000 if I ever entered them, and higher if I slabbed my raws. I'll likely only slab raws if I upgrade and want to sell or trade an undercopy.

I'm not talking about money spent smile.gif In that case, a lot of you guys would beat me smile.gif I've been collecting FF since I was 8 and it's the *only* title that I have collected on a consistent basis in "high" grade (8.0-9.0 if I can) (because I can't afford to collect another additional title).

I felt like I could most relate to the stories because I grew up in a divorced household. The thing that I find FF most appealing (morseo than ASM which can't come close in my opinion) is that they are a FAMILY far from perfect -- Reed and Sue separated, Sue tempted by another man, Thing wondering if he can be a "man" again and does he really want to be, a boy burning himself to be like Totrch, etc, etc. ASM is more about an individual's personal struggles but the best issues of the Kirby and Byrne run dealt with the family's struggles and dynamics. I have a feeling that FF is harder to write and I give Lee and Byrne (among others) a lot of credit.

Fellas,

Believe me, FF 6 is tough to find in 9.2 or better. It's much harder to find than a No.4, which has 1 9.6 and 5 9.4s to show. 5 is very tough, with only 3 9.4s.

9 is relatively easy to find in high grade. I had 2 9.4s and sold/traded one and kept the Pacific Coast. 3 is impossible, 7 & 13 are rough, as is 18. 12 isn't that easy (I think only 3 9.4s), 11 is also tough (no 9.6s, 4 9.4s).

Again, I realize 9.0 is very high grade and my analysis should start there, but I'm focusing on 9.4 or better so it may seem inconsistent with some issues.

If anybody has a No. 3 9.2 or better, please let me know!!!

I felt like I could most relate to the stories because I grew up in a divorced household. The thing that I find FF most appealing (morseo than ASM which can't come close in my opinion) is that they are a FAMILY far from perfect

Boy, can I relate to that... my folks were threatening divorce during the Reed/Sue separation issues... couldn't get more relevant to me than that ('cept I didn't start glowing like Franklin - much as I wanted to blush.gif).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan