• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Covers. Raw or Slabbed???

25 posts in this topic

Like the subject header says:"Raw or Slabbed?"

I sent one off to CGC recently and I have a few others tucked away. Do collectors of these prefer them in slabs or raw? I'll likely sell mine sooner than later and I don't want to slab them all if it's pointless.

What say you all?

Cheers!

I collect them, though I mostly go for triple or more covers. The nice thing about slabbed boks is they give the book the grade for the highest cover. The outside cover might be a 7.0, but the inside is an 8.5 so the box reads 8.5. That can't hurt when selling.

I generally buy mine slabbed, but won't turn down a raw one.

I collect them, though I mostly go for triple or more covers. The nice thing about slabbed boks is they give the book the grade for the highest cover. The outside cover might be a 7.0, but the inside is an 8.5 so the box reads 8.5. That can't hurt when selling.

Good point regarding the slab's actual grade. ;)

I only have one double cover book (Longshot #1). The inner cover probably grades @ 9.0

I've always wondered how CGC would deal with this. This was a helpful thread. Too bad Longshot #1 isn't worth submitting :(

It might be worth grading because of the novelty of it. Wouldn't a double-cover pay at least the cost of grading it?

slabbed so I know YOU didn't make them a double cover :P

And I never even considered that... :o

Now, why would I (or anyone else) add a second cover wrap to a random FATHOM issue?!?!? Oh wait, to make a profit. I get it.

I once attempted to buy a home-made quad cover Web of Spider-man book. Link to my FAIL.

hs6vsk.jpg

Then you have the people who remove the outer cover so the book grades higher with the nicer interior cover.

Hmmm. Is there any way to determine if this has been done? As crazy as it sounds, I never once considered this!

I only have one double cover book (Longshot #1). The inner cover probably grades @ 9.0

I've always wondered how CGC would deal with this. This was a helpful thread. Too bad Longshot #1 isn't worth submitting :(

It might be worth grading because of the novelty of it. Wouldn't a double-cover pay at least the cost of grading it?

Wow, another good question. I'm just wondering if the novelty is still there even when it's a "nothing" book. Food for thought hm

We know that the bolded part is not entirely true.

Whats not true about it?

Every CGC book I have has the highest grade in the box

Sorry for the bad scan. Outer cover = 9.0, inner cover = 9.6, overall grade = 8.5

Other factors get taken into consideration other than the condition of the covers.

30vjhvk.jpg

CGC grades each cover indepently.

In most cases, the highest grade cover will be the same as the actual grade.

However, there are factors such as poor page quality that will limit the CGC grade. Blow up had a book with one of the covers graded a 9.6 but because it had light tan to off white pages, and CGC graded it a 8.5.

Blazingbob had a book with covers graded 9.4 and 9.2 but the overall grade was 9.2 because there was minor rust on one of the staples.

xoxo

greggy

I like mine Slabbed and Signed! Yeah, yeah i know i've posted this one before, but it's the only double cover i have and i LOVE IT! Everytime i get the opp to post it, i'm gonna do it! :P

SAM_3538.jpg