• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thing prequel trailer

62 posts in this topic

I think in the first movie the initial contact was a depot of people

that didn't speak english...

so I guess that is changed.

All I can remember is that last few survivors trying to shot the Thing

when it was in the Dog form running toward the 2nd camp.

Great Movie!

:cloud9:

When I was a kid(he'll even now!), my 3 all-time favorite movies were conan the barbarian, king kong and the thing. Those movies were the epitome of greatness in myind and there was absolutely no need to remake such great movies.

They screwed king longs remake so bad I still want to vomit just thinking about it! Please, please, PLEASE god do not let them screw up the Thing and conan like that trainwreck remake of king kong :wishluck:

Technically speaking, the initial contact with the non-English speaking people (Norwegian's) was in itself, a change from the original film. It happens in remakes

When I was a kid(he'll even now!), my 3 all-time favorite movies were conan the barbarian, king kong and the thing. Those movies were the epitome of greatness in myind and there was absolutely no need to remake such great movies.

They screwed king longs remake so bad I still want to vomit just thinking about it! Please, please, PLEASE god do not let them screw up the Thing and conan like that trainwreck remake of king kong :wishluck:

Which KING KONG remake did you think was the srew up?

Can't see why this is called a prequel.

Looks like a straight remake to me...

i.e. a third film version

No, this is a prequel. This movie takes place at the Norwegian camp. The Norwegians find the Thing in the ice. All the elements in the trailer suggest that this movie takes place before Carpenter's film.... The dog we see in the trailer eventually makes it's way to Kurt russel's camp at the beginning of that film.

The one a few years ago was horrific IMO.

The remake in the late 70s was AWESOME!!! :cloud9:

Just making sure. PJ's had very nice CG work, but I didn't like the story or acting. I DO NOT like Jack Black. I'm surprised he didn't find a way to run around in his underwear, belly shaking in the jungle.

No, this is a prequel. This movie takes place at the Norwegian camp. The Norwegians find the Thing in the ice. All the elements in the trailer suggest that this movie takes place before Carpenter's film.... The dog we see in the trailer eventually makes it's way to Kurt russel's camp at the beginning of that film.

I didn't even catch that this is a prequel. Very cool, that makes me even more interested :applause:

Really liking the look and feel to this one and that the music in the trailer was faithful to Carpenters.

The Carpenters did the music for The Thing?

A bit of a departure for them isn't it!?

:shy:

:insane:

Kind of a combination of the first two.

The 1951 original kept to the Campbell WHO GOES THERE story at the start. As in the Campbell story, they found the alien ship and tried to extract it from the ice with thermite bombs. The ship caught fire from the thermite. The alien pilot was discovered and subsequently it thawed out.From there the 1951 movie deviates from the Campbell story.

The Carpenter films ignores these aspects and picks up, using the Norwegian (Swedish?) scientific expedition as the vehicle for introducing the alien into the base camp.

The new film seems to want to take the alien ship/thermite explosion.thawing pilot aspect form both the story and the 1951 film as a beginning.

I say kudos to them. Will definitely want to watch this one. I love the 1951 original for it's Howard Hawks direction. I love the Carpenter film for keeping truer to the story once we get past the introductory premise.

I wonder if this will be an actual recreation of the Campbell story.

Technically speaking, the initial contact with the non-English speaking people (Norwegian's) was in itself, a change from the original film. It happens in remakes

Strictly speaking the Hawks '51 original "The Thing from Another World" took place in the ARCTIC as opposed to all the subsequent ones in the antarctic. The alien was also a "plant".

I only recently found out that the Norwegian spoken by the guy who reaches the American camp translates into English as "Get the hell outta there. That's not a dog, it's some sort of thing! It's imitating a dog, it isn't real!'

Gives the game away a bit. lol

(Mentioned on imdb.com and Cracked.com)