• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink stain during printing process

24 posts in this topic

That's pretty severe,enough that I could understand CGC treating it like a stain. To be honest I would stay away from it. Not worth the gamble. Even if it did get a decent grade many collectors would shy away.

That's pretty severe,enough that I could understand CGC treating it like a stain. To be honest I would stay away from it. Not worth the gamble. Even if it did get a decent grade many collectors would shy away.

>>Thanks for your advice. I will probably skip this one then as I have seen a couple of copies of Iron Man 55 crop up now and then and will look for a cleaner copy.

Hello,

I have a question, if a comic were to have blue ink stained edges from the printing process - is that held against its grade?

That type of ink is not from the printing process, its related to an unsold copy that credit was given back. The inking was there to mark the comic, similar to when they used to manually cut the top third of the comic off. Same scenerio, different year of print.

Hello,

I have a question, if a comic were to have blue ink stained edges from the printing process - is that held against its grade?

That type of ink is not from the printing process, its related to an unsold copy that credit was given back. The inking was there to mark the comic, similar to when they used to manually cut the top third of the comic off. Same scenerio, different year of print.

>>I learn something new every day about comics - very fascinating!

I heard that back in the day, they had the comics in stacks on a pallet. A guy had a bucket of ink and he used a brush to slap the edges of the comics with ink. Some comics got a heavy dose, some comics actually got missed due to the stacking, or just a tiny amount on one edge. When they eventually got sold off to second hand dealers. They would go through and look for the comics where the ink missed. They pulled the clean copies out and sold them first. The heavy inked damaged copies ended up in long boxes as they were tough to sell at much of any profit as they were obviously damaged. The majority blue inking was primarily on 20 cent Marvels.

That a return distributor mark, book should of been destroyed. It should get downgraded to a VG.

Thats a distributor mark, but there is no way of knowing if that book was sold off a newstand and comes from a persons collection or was a return. There is no evidence to say the book should have been destroyed.

Edited by shadroch

Hello,

Thats not correct. The marks were put on so drivers could idenify their companies product when taking returns from stores.

From Overstreet

"Distributor stripes: Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expediant exchange at the sales racks. Distributor stripes are not considered defects"

While normal distributor stripes are not defects, your book has a good deal of overspray and would be knocked down. I think it would get more than a 4.0 VG, but I'm not certain how badly CGC punishs that. I could see it as a raw 6.0, no problem.

There is a colored distributor marking on the top edges of many comics from the 1970's. I agree, and that as its very common also.

I know warehouse guys in the NY area who bought pallets of these blue inked 20 centers books back in the 1970's, they were credited as not sold by a distributor. They bought them real cheap on the secondary market. I actually have bought long boxes of these types of books, and got the story straight from the guy who bought them in the 1970's.

The Ink on this particular comic is not a distributor stripe, that heavy blue ink indicates it was on the returns. Similar to cutting the top third of the comic off. CGC will kill the grade, so would I as its no better than a 4.0.

You can get 9.8's on distributor marks without a problem.

Books weren't returned. Far too expensive. They were supposed to be destroyed (honour system/affidavits) but were too often sold on the blackmarket.*

Ink on the books was distributor's ink marked pre-delivery to make removing old books from newsstands easier (select old books by the colour of their edges).

Marking books that were supposed to be destroyed (i.e, thrown out by the vendor) is something that I haven't heard before. A forty year-old memory might not be evidence enough that such a practice existed. Does anyone have a documentary source for this marking of unsold books?

*In some cases, the books were sold in large numbers before reaching vendors and declared unsold. Mile High II was a blackmarket warehouse find.

I don't believe so. CGC turns a blind eye on any "defect" that was directly related to manufacture.

Would that include creased cover stock from when it was spooled up in those monstrously heavy rolls?