• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2011 Overstreet discussion thread

144 posts in this topic

I almost bought the download one yesterday. I have a question. They are charging 30 bucks for the downloaded one. Aint that full price? Your getting nothing but the info to your computer...no book costs, no nothing....SO why is it still 30 bucks????:tonofbricks: I came to my sences and ordered one from Amazon for 19 bucks...And I am getting the real book. :cloud9:

As to your question...You cant read the downloaded one on the can...Which is the main place I read mine. lol.

I almost did as well . . . buying the online version, not the reading on the commode part. Decided against it when I read the fine print that it would only be licensed to the computer it downloaded to and would/could not be downloaded or viewed on any other device.

This means no impromptu checking of prices on the smart phone and no dice if I replace my computer in the next year, all for about 50% more the cost than even the HC version that still travels easily.

Not sure what he incentive is supposed to be with such restrictions. (shrug)

That's what I was looking for. Damn DRM restrictions. OK, scratch that idea then.

I would have no problem paying $30 for the online version if it wasn't just a PDF. I've been screaming for years that Overstreet needs to get their Guide into an electronic format, and now, with the advent of tablets, it is even more ridiculous that it isn't available. How hard could it be? Seriously.

How does the top 10 bronze book list look? Any big changes?

Star Wars 1 = $3K (20% increase)

Green Lantern 76 = $2.5K (20% increase)

Hulk 181 = $1.7K ( 3% increase)

Iron Fist 14 = $1.65K (3% increase)

GS X-Men 1 = $1.3K (no change)

X-Men 94 = $1.25K (4% increase)

Cerebus 1 = $1.2K (9% increase)

DC 100pg Super Spectacular 5 = $1.15K (10% increase)

House of Secrets 92 = $1.15K (5% increase)

ASM 129 = $925 (3% increase)

Pardon my ignorance, but I had no idea what this is. Is this a "Love" comic? I did a google and a few popped up, but I'm not sure this is the right book. I don't see any crazy prices for it.

I would have no problem paying $30 for the online version if it wasn't just a PDF. I've been screaming for years that Overstreet needs to get their Guide into an electronic format, and now, with the advent of tablets, it is even more ridiculous that it isn't available. How hard could it be? Seriously.

I'd probably pay retail for a digital copy I could load on my phone, tablet, and PC.

I use it as much for a reference tool as anything else. "Ooh, a run of Alpha Flight. What issues do I care about?"

I'd probably pay retail for a digital copy I could load on my phone, tablet, and PC.

I use it as much for a reference tool as anything else. "Ooh, a run of Alpha Flight. What issues do I care about?"

So the digital version has all the prices? Can you search it by individual books and runs?

For some odd reason Tales of Suspense #40 went down in value from OSPG #40.

Others went up...

Not according to the version of the guide which I got. :gossip:

My copy of OSPG #40 has TOS #40 in top of guide sitting at $4,500 and now at $4,800 in OSPG #41. The Good price also increased slightly from $173 up to $178 in the new guide.

I can see that OS is continuing to increase the spread on the higher grades, albeit at a slower rate for this year.

What happened to the GGA books

Dagar 14

Phantom lady 17,23

Blue beetle 52,54

Etc

1-3% increase ?? :lol:

Don't you guys ever pick up copies of the price guide?

Looks like your 1-3% guess only applied in the case of the PL's, with PL #17 picking up around 4% while #23 gained less than 2%. I still think PL #23 is a much better bargain as compared to PL #17.

With the other books, the Dagar gained about 10% and the BB #52 about 15%, with the clear champion being the BB #54 with a 40% gain. :o

Also interesting to note is that these gains were just not at the top end, but across the board in all grades. In other words, OS has slowed down his tendency to increase his price spreads to the point that he has kept them exactly the same on a lot of the GA books for this edition of the guide.

Probably an indication that GA books are selling in all condition grades across the spectrum which is clearly not the case with the other ages. If I am not mistaken, this is the first time he has done this in several years. hm

I am not sure what is worse the OSPG or the oil speculators.

The same books geso up 5% a year.

You know the same books that the OSPG values at 9.2 goes for barely CGC 9.6 values.

Rinse ans repeat. zzz

i've got a list of books i'd take in 9.6 for 9.2 guide. i'll send it to you via PM, may blow up the interweb tho

For some odd reason Tales of Suspense #40 went down in value from OSPG #40.

Others went up...

Not according to the version of the guide which I got. :gossip:

My copy of OSPG #40 has TOS #40 in top of guide sitting at $4,500 and now at $4,800 in OSPG #41. The Good price also increased slightly from $173 up to $178 in the new guide.

I can see that OS is continuing to increase the spread on the higher grades, albeit at a slower rate for this year.

You are right...I must have mixed up the books. :tonofbricks:

73 pages of Market Reports? Not sure how that compares to last year.

This could take a while ...

Just a little bit less since they had 65 pages of market reports in last year's guide. Still, a pretty sharp increase from the normal 40 - 45 pages they use to have prior to that.

Actually, what is the first thing that you turn to when you open up the guide? I used to always turn to Bob's market report first and then read through a few of the market reports. Way back in the day when I was a lot more gullible, I read every single market report and devour every single word as though it was the gospel truth. doh! Certainly a stark contrast to now where I still haven't read through some of the market reports from last year's guide.

Nowadays, the first thing I turn to is Overstreet's Top 100 Report and just by looking at the realitive percentage increases, it is easy to spot the prevailing trends in the marketplace. For example, it's clear that the early Actions have finally moved ahead of the pre-Robin Detectives in terms of market activity. Likewise, the chart also makes it quite apparent how hot the early Archie books have been lately.

No doubt the members on this board are already aware of these shifting trends since a lot of you are the market makers, whereas the OS guide is just a merket reporter. The less knowledgable collectors or those that do not follow the market as closely as us should find this type of trend information to be more useful to them. (thumbs u

Actually, what is the first thing that you turn to when you open up the guide?

Last year was the first year that I turned to the acknowledgements, just to see if I made the list. :blush: I did, but hardly any of the info that I sent in was added, so I think it was done to make me go away. lol

I still start at the beginning and mow my way through. Read all of the reports, check out the lists ('cause everyone likes lists) and jump into blinding lines of detail, even on titles that I never heard of or don't collect. Before completely losing my sight, I'll jump to the back and read the articles, look at the pretty pictures in the gallery, then go back to the listings.

Some prices (all 9.2):

Action 1 $1,400,000

All American 16 $400,000

Amazing Fantasy 15 $125,000

Amazing Spider-Man 1 $54,000

Avengers 4 $5,200

Detective 27 $1,200,000

Fantastic Four 1 $80,000

Gobbledygook 1 $5,000

Green Lantern 76 %2,500

Pep 22 $70,000

Superman 1 $560,000

Dan, I am new to this and this is my 1st year as an advisor, and with a marketplace report. Is there any certain time-frame in which they send copies to advisors? :acclaim:

Thanks!

Jeff

:acclaim:

Some prices (all 9.2):

Action 1 $1,400,000

All American 16 $400,000

Avengers 4 $5,200

Detective 27 $1,200,000

Fantastic Four 1 $80,000

Gobbledygook 1 $5,000

Green Lantern 76 %2,500

Pep 22 $70,000

Superman 1 $560,000

Dan, I am new to this and this is my 1st year as an advisor, and with a marketplace report. Is there any certain time-frame in which they send copies to advisors? :acclaim:

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks, Cuz! Gonna call in a bit. You home or at the shop?

Some prices (all 9.2):

Action 1 $1,400,000

All American 16 $400,000

Avengers 4 $5,200

Detective 27 $1,200,000

Fantastic Four 1 $80,000

Gobbledygook 1 $5,000

Green Lantern 76 %2,500

Pep 22 $70,000

Superman 1 $560,000

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks, Cuz! Gonna call in a bit. You home or at the shop?

Ill be at the shop in about an hour

I was at Comic-Con for Preview night, Thursday and Friday. When I got home today, my OSPG that I bought from Amazon was waiting for me. Dealers had theirs so I had chances to look at values. A friend of mine bought a B & B 28 in CGC 4.5 CR/OW pages for a bit underguide. However, higher grades, especially books that were in Fine or higher usually went over guide. I spent a bit over guide on a raw Lois Lane #1 that has brilliant colors one of the best covers in terms of colors I've ever seen. I submitted it to CGC. The dealer, my collector buddy, and myself all thought it would get a 5.0 or 5.5. due to the usual color breaking spine ticks that is commonin this purple-colored book. I saw the 8.0 copy that will appear in Heritage's auction and the colors on that copy were just as bright as my copy. I spent only 200 bucks over 5.5 guide on the book--not a bad price. I also bought a raw Adventure 214, second appearance on Krypto and a raw Adventure 220, third appearance of Krypto. The 214 looks to be a 6.5/70 and the 220 looks to be an 8.0. I had to pay a little over guide on these books but not ridiculously over guide. I also bought from Motor City a Secret Origins #1 (tough book) in 7.0 with beautiful pages and paid less than guide.Michael Goldman always bargaings in good faith and gives me great deals. Bought a low grade a raw 4.0 with off/white pages Batman 121. I didn't want a high-grade--too expensive, but this copy is real nice for a 4.0 from Superworld. And I finally found a Dennis the Menace #1 in G/VG with nice pages. It was packaged together with a Detective 209 with real nice pages, brilliant DC greens. I had to pay a little more than I wanted to but those in the know will tell you that a Dennis #1 is real tough to find in any grade. I would love to upgrade, but until I do I have this copy to enjoy. Obviously this isn't a scientific analysis. I also saw a slabbed JLA #1 in 8.0 but is was 4 or 5 times over guide. And the SGT Fury #1 from the same dealer in CGC 9.0 was $17, 500! I'd love a copy of that book, but I don't have that kind of dough. And before the show I bought a Showcase 7 CGC 4.5 for under guide. Anyway that was my experience with books vis-a-via the OSPG.

SLR