• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I sent of my Walking Dead #1 to joeypost today for pressing...

509 posts in this topic

Whether or not pressing is "restoration" really comes down to individual perspective - mainly - how do you define restoration?

This is where i take issue. I dont care how others define a word that has had a definition for hundreds of years. I like restoration, its fun. Its what i do for a living but when you return an object to a previous state, you have restored it by definition.

But then you have to notice the nuance in my post. By your definition comics that do get the purple label are NOT examples of restoration.

Don't mind the anti-pressors, they'll always make it a point to post their opinion (which is fine). The pro-pressors/don'tgiveadamnpressors really don't care enough to post as frequently, and there are many many many more of us than of them.

Im not for or against anything other than calling it what it is.

I think the availability of a Sig Series label is more dangerous to books than CGC blue-labeling the pressed ones. :whistle:

Not that it's ideal. I'm not too keen on altering collectibles in any way. (shrug)

I think the availability of a Sig Series label is more dangerous to books than CGC blue-labeling the pressed ones. :whistle:

Not that it's ideal. I'm not too keen on altering collectibles in any way. (shrug)

PM me your email addy. I'll send you pics of all 500 of my SS books. lol

PM me your email addy. I'll send you pics of all 500 of my SS books. lol

Sounds like a cool collection. Kudos for collecting what you're into. :applause:

I can see why people like autographs / inscriptions - I'm just not a fan on books.

Here's what CGC has to say about it.

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration.

We all know what the CGC definition is. Thanks.

Whether or not pressing is "restoration" really comes down to individual perspective - mainly - how do you define restoration?

Then why post the CGC definition if "individual perspective" is the one that matters?

Out of context the term itself does not have negative connotation. Generally "restoring" something is considered a good thing. But in the context of comic books the term has negative meaning associated with the PLOD slabs. In that context the term itself (restoration) is a misnomer. You are NOT restoring a comic back to its original state when you trim it, add color to it, add filler paper, etc. But arguably when you press a comic you really are "restoring" it.

Comes down to individual perspective.

So then we get caught arguing back and forth about defining something as restoration - when in reality both sides are right. It really depends on perspective.

We can get caught arguing all we want. Just don't get caught doing the do. Since we are all correct in your perspective. doh!

Lets face it. The market deems pressing acceptable. It is flooded with known and unknowingly pressed books(encapsulated or not).

For those of you against pressing, Do you knowingly buy a pressed book and sub it? If that is the case then your are facing a logical and moral contradiction. Which only acts only as a catalyst for the pressing market. So then, if you knowingly submit a pressed book should you subsequently provide CGC with a note indicating that it has been pressed so it can receive the appropriate label? How do we define pressing in comparison to other forms of restoration? Is pressing "enough" of a form of restoration for it to receive a purple label?

For me personally, I have yet to submit books to get pressed. But I don't feel that artificial pressing is any different then natural pressing. As another forumite said heat only speeds up the process. Since nothing is added or detracted from the book, pressing only enhances what its already present.

Even if the pressing debate came to a consensus that it is restoration, 'How would it even be properly regulated since it cannot be detected?'

We all know what the CGC definition is. Thanks.

You're very welcome, and I appreciate your gratitude.

Then why post the CGC definition if "individual perspective" is the one that matters?

To show their perspective maybe? Theirs is obviously an important one since they're the ones putting pressed comics in universal slabs. Plus on what basis they make the distinction is also relevant to the discussion.

Comes down to individual perspective.

Which part?

We can get caught arguing all we want. Just don't get caught doing the do. Since we are all correct in your perspective. doh!

It is a head slapper that it has to be explained again.

If you're defining restoration on CGC's terms (the pro-pressing crowd) then pressing certainly is not restoration.

If you're defining 'restoration' by the dictionary definition then all purple label comics are NOT restored, because the work done to them doesn't in any way restore them back to their original state.

Lets face it. The market deems pressing acceptable. It is flooded with known and unknowingly pressed books(encapsulated or not).

For those of you against pressing, Do you knowingly buy a pressed book and sub it? If that is the case then your are facing a logical and moral contradiction. Which only acts only as a catalyst for the pressing market. So then, if you knowingly submit a pressed book should you subsequently provide CGC with a note indicating that it has been pressed so it can receive the appropriate label? How do we define pressing in comparison to other forms of restoration? Is pressing "enough" of a form of restoration for it to receive a purple label?

For me personally, I have yet to submit books to get pressed. But I don't feel that artificial pressing is any different then natural pressing. As another forumite said heat only speeds up the process. Since nothing is added or detracted from the book, pressing only enhances what its already present.

Even if the pressing debate came to a consensus that it is restoration, 'How would it even be properly regulated since it cannot be detected?'

Does the market deem it acceptable?

Or is it acceptable as CGC "cant" detect it so the market follows?

Would you buy trimmed and color touched books at FMV if CGC could not detect it?

How would it even be properly regulated since it cannot be detected?'

Who Watches The Watchmen?

(tsk) You take that back, sir. hm On the other hand, I DO think that Stan Lee's frequent inexplicably god-awful and blasphemous placement of his sigs on books should have their own color, such as a SS blinking red label. :frustrated:

Would you buy trimmed and color touched books at FMV if CGC could not detect it?

Actually it's more than just CGC not being able to detect it, in fact I would bet in many cases they can. They have flat out deemed it NOT to be restoration.

I wouldn't buy a trimmed or color touched comic because those things alter the comic away from its original state.

Yay! Another noob restoring his comic books! :banana:

Is pressing restoration? I'd like some opinions on this matter.

Absolutely.

For decades it was classified as restoration and Overstreet clearly stated that fact.

That CGC 'can't detect it' doesn't change what it is.

Ahh, I was going to respond but I see I don't need to.

To quote Meat Loaf, 'You took the words right out of my mouth. It must have been while you were kissing me'.

Hmm, I probably could have ended that quote a sentence earlier. doh!

Actually it's more than just CGC not being able to detect it, in fact I would bet in many cases they can. They have flat out deemed it NOT to be restoration.

I wouldn't buy a trimmed or color touched comic because those things alter the comic away from its original state.

If you have two copies of the same comic side-by-side, one with a chunk missing out of the front cover and the other with professional piece fill and color touch on the front cover, which is closer to the original state?

I DO think that Stan Lee's frequent inexplicably god-awful and blasphemous placement of his sigs on books should have their own color, such as a SS blinking red label. :frustrated:

(thumbs u

If you have two copies of the same comic side-by-side, one with a chunk missing out of the front cover and the other with professional piece fill and color touch on the front cover, which is closer to the original state?

I would rather have the non-filled, non-touched version. Seems more original to me. To each their own?