• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LIEFELD vs NEAL ADAMS (w/poll)

107 posts in this topic

It's almost cool for people to hate on Liefield now without even taking the time to truly form their own opinion. His art isn't conventional but it works in the context it is placed.

2c

And that context more often than not takes place on a planet where there are crevices every 5 feet or so for which the characters to stick their feet, obscuring them from view.

Slight exaggeration. But I get your point.

It's his style, if you want to call it that. :cool:

BlutoHatersgonnahate.jpg

"Look at Turner's stuff. He's very popular. Look at his women. Are they "realistic" looking?"

Realistic as in who might be sitting next to me on the subway or are they within the realm of possible? They're idealized/perfect, but there are women with bodies like that. (I'm sure there are some turner drawings that are not, but I just did a little search to refresh me on what his stuff looks like). There are no women on earth that look like the Liefieldian freakazoids. Turner's faces are a bit elvish sometimes though.

If Turner and Liefeld didn't sign their work I wo uldnt be able to tell them apart.

Absolutely agree with everything you said about having to be able to crank the work out vs simply being a pin-up guy. And I forgot to mention that in the video I saw, the artist also mentioned that when talking about people bringing in their portfolios. He mentioned that they see pin up after pin up. Great. Awesome. But that doesn't tell the prospective employer much else. The artist said you're better off including a couple of sequential pages of artwork, trying to tell a story simply from the pencils...mix that in with your pin ups if you want to stand out.

And yes, there are very similar artists out there. I grew up with Jim Lee. Love Jim Lee. Love his style. Lots of people think he sux or is overrated of course. That's beside the point I guess. Anyway, take a look at Lee's work. Now look at the Benes clan. Ed Benes' stuff looks alot like Lee's. And Benes' two sibling stuff looks alot like his. So know, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'm just paraphrasing what was said in the video by an already established artist who is in the business of drawing and seeking out new artists.

As for Turner. "a bit elvish" really. I'd say they're often straight out of Rivendell. :grin:

Everything is relative. So Turner's women look more realistic than Liefeld's. Ok. That tells me nothing other than what one person expects or deems to be better. What I like is better than what you like. Which is not to say I like Liefeld's art at all. Not a big fan. I just don't go along with the talentless hack crowd of armchair fanboys that can't draw stick figures. Not directed at you by the way.

Look at Picasso. Is he "less" of an artist b/c his work isn't as realistic as Manet's?

Rob's work, especially back in the day left alot to be desired. But I don't think people are taking into account anything else. Such as Jim Lee coming out and saying "big guns and big boobs" were the thing. So that's what people drew. Money baby. Sometimes being true to your art takes a back seat.

whats neal done lately is the question ?..

this answers who i voted for

RobLS.jpg

I see no feet in this sketch. Wonder why?

... because i paid for a bust ... (shrug)doh!

:news:

Liefeld (say what you will) draws 10x the crowd of neal adams.

Completely true.

Several professional wrestlers can claim the same, what appeals to the masses and what is considered highest quality are usually diametrically opposed.

True. That said, I'm not really sure what the poll is asking. Is the OP asking him to settle a bet as to which creator has longer lines at cons or is he asking which art the board members prefer? (shrug)

I wanted to know who people would rather see at a con. I didn't actually think there were any LIEFELD fans out there, because you never see any love for him, just bashing threads.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would rather see Liefeld than Neal Adams. I mean, Neal Adams is one of the top, most SPOONing awesome comic artists of all time. The only down side to the Adams con experience is how hard he tries to squeeze loot out of his fans. As long as you're not there to deluge him with Deadpool stuff, Liefeld is a more comfortable hang.

how much does neal charge for sketches ? I assume its a lot another reason why I'd rather see rob his prices are decent & fair & not $500 + some artists charge! I am thinking of sending this topic to rob on twitter what do you guys think ?.. (shrug) response direct from the artist ... would it send the haters hiding ? lol(shrug)

I am thinking of sending this topic to rob on twitter what do you guys think ?.. (shrug) response direct from the artist ... would it send the haters hiding ? lol(shrug)

lol - that reminds me of "You just sit there until your Dad gets home." Good times.

It's only fair that you tell him. It would at least give him a chance to tell me what a crappy job I do as a software analyst. I hope I didn't ruin the whole computer experience for him somewhere along the line. :(

Look at Turner's stuff. He's very popular. Look at his women. Are they "realistic" looking?

Nope, but then again I'm not a fan of his either. Same for JIM LEE. I like their work in small doses (ie) a splash page or cover, but not the complete interior of a comic. I don't think their strength is visually carrying a story. That's just my opinion. Whereas MILLER and ADAMS do more for me in terms of layout/composition. The same goes for POWELL. His stuff tells the story.

I am thinking of sending this topic to rob on twitter what do you guys think ?.. (shrug) response direct from the artist ... would it send the haters hiding ? lol(shrug)

lol - that reminds me of "You just sit there until your Dad gets home." Good times.

It's only fair that you tell him. It would at least give him a chance to tell me what a crappy job I do as a software analyst. I hope I didn't ruin the whole computer experience for him somewhere along the line. :(

I don't think it would do anyone any good to do so...

I wouldn't want to read a thread about people saying I suck. And those who truly despise him would probably just ignite a heated discussion that would likely lead to the thread getting closed... :tonofbricks:

I don't dislike the guy - just his body of work. And I'm surprised to see the number of supporters he has. This has been quite an eye-opener...

I charge nothing...here is my 45 second sketch just done a few minutes ago for my son.

hehe....can you tell the Byrne's influence...teehee.

Really? More like SIEKENWIECZ(sp?)!!! I like!!! (thumbs u

I like it too...it's actually a very cool sketch!

I'm not a huge fan, but I do respect the guy. He's still out there, still getting work, and still has a fan base. I got the two (three?) following pages simply because he worked on Cap long enough to leave an impression.

capim2pg.jpg

This is from Onslaught Reborn which was in 2007. He needs to think about anatomy a little more. Iron Man's right arm would be punching through Cap's chest. Cap's right leg mysteriously vanishes and IM would have some serious spinal trauma after being in that position. On the brighter side, Cap's face looks fantastic. He does still have the traditional "Liefeld Grrrrr" face, but it looks really good.

liefeldcap.jpg

Strangely, this is from his run on Cap in 1996 and it is technically better. I'm not a fan of Cap hanging from the chandelier, but aside from Cap's thighs looking a bit long, it's pretty solid.