• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #6 trimmed?

16 posts in this topic

I bought this from Heritage and they made no mention of trimming, but if it is not trimmed, it is for sure suffering from serious spine roll that makes the back cover extend much further out than the front cover. I am very inexperienced at telling "for sure" when a book is trimmed. Does this book give any of the sure signs of a right edge trim?

For sure my weak spot in detection, but it was slightly suspicious being that the front cover edge shows so much of the comic overhanging from the edge, but I did hold out hope that is was only from the spine roll. Would be a good book to get the spine roll pressed out I suppose?

I was all set to tell you you were crazy or just move on. But you may be on to something. What makes me suspicious is how clean the top right corner and most of the right edge is. Is this a book you have in hand? Do the inside of the covers have any noticeable perimeter toning?

Yes, comparing the inside and outside right edge to all other edges it appears too smooth without hardly any flaws. You can see the wear on all the other edges a lot more pronounced after so many years, so my initial instincts may have been correct. Wow, after all these years I think I might Finally be getting this trimming detection down a lot better after feeling clueless for so long.

Shame on Heritage for not mentioning this in their auction description! :(

Yes, comparing the inside and outside right edge to all other edges it appears too smooth without hardly any flaws. You can see the wear on all the other edges a lot more pronounced after so many years, so my initial instincts may have been correct. Wow, after all these years I think I might Finally be getting this trimming detection down a lot better after feeling clueless for so long.

Give the fact that this copy has a severe spine roll, which lends itself to protecting that outer edge compared to all the others, and that it doesn't seem to be missing much art on that edge when compared to other copies. I would not just assume it was trimmed.

Impossible to really say either way from just seeing a FC scan, just offering my 2c opinion.

PM sent.

Give the fact that this copy has a severe spine roll, which lends itself to protecting that outer edge compared to all the others, and that it doesn't seem to be missing much art on that edge when compared to other copies. I would not just assume it was trimmed.

Impossible to really say either way from just seeing a FC scan, just offering my 2c opinion.

PM sent.

Yeah, like you would know... meh

Just kidding. lol

Another way to look for trimming is to inspect the inside of the FC. The inside of the covers will tone with some sort of consistency. Certain edges may tone more depending on exposure but sometimes inconsistencies can be spotted.

Like Ze.man said tho, from a scan its impossible to tell for sure.

I've just lurked here, so forgive me for sticking my oar in-but does it really matter whether it was really trimmed or whether it is perceived as trimmed by CGC? We don't know what goes on in the black box of CGC, so you won't really know if they'll detect the differences of this cover as trimming or not.

I'm assuming this was bought with an eye toward a press (just to remove the roll if nothing else). My thought is that there are enough indicators for trimming for you to press and submit fast (so you can address it with Heritage). However, I would think a close end-on examination of the pages would indicate something (although I could be wrong). Because a cut page would be whiter at the cut edge than a (naturally) aged edge. This might give you another indicator if you're thinking of keeping this without a sub.

Of course, if that's not how CGC does it, then you'd be pretty well boned on the advice of an admitted amateur (me) so take it with a boulder of salt. BTW, I like to write books. :)

I was all set to tell you you were crazy or just move on. But you may be on to something. What makes me suspicious is how clean the top right corner and most of the right edge is. Is this a book you have in hand? Do the inside of the covers have any noticeable perimeter toning?

I believe the top right corner is sharp because it is taped over.

I've just lurked here, so forgive me for sticking my oar in-but does it really matter whether it was really trimmed or whether it is perceived as trimmed by CGC? We don't know what goes on in the black box of CGC, so you won't really know if they'll detect the differences of this cover as trimming or not.

I don't believe this statement to be true. CGC does perform trimming check on suspected books and they have a good history of knowing what to look for when it comes to trim jobs. The whole Ewert scandal accelerated their detection process to where I don't think anyone will question it - nor their unbiased intentions.

I don't believe this statement to be true. CGC does perform trimming check on suspected books and they have a good history of knowing what to look for when it comes to trim jobs. The whole Ewert scandal accelerated their detection process to where I don't think anyone will question it - nor their unbiased intentions.

I'm guessing from your response that I wasn't clear. I wasn't questioning the intentions of CGC--I was just saying that because we don't know the methods they use to detect trimming, there's no way to tell whether this book would look trimmed in CGC's eyes. Beyond subbing it and getting their opinion directly. Please tell me if I'm still not making sense, or if it looks like I'm maligning CGC or the trimming check, because that's not my intention.

If I get it looked at and graded, I will post the after grading scan here someday. Lizard's 1st appearance seems to be hot right now with rumor of his focus in the next big Spiderman movie/reboot. :popcorn: