• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midnight showing of Captain America - The First Avenger

98 posts in this topic

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

Could you go into more detail? You're the third person (out of about 20) that I've talked to who didn't like it, but wouldn't give me a reason why. I'm not even being a jerk about it, I really just want to know why.

The movie was great. Def better the Green Lantern. It had more heart, and Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was also great, as was Hugo Weaving. The Howling Commandos looked like their comic book counterparts, and the plot was easy to follow, without too many snags.

Everything seemed generic. Red Skull and Hydra looked goofy. What was with the generic Hydra laser guns? Red Skull should have looked like Two-Face from the Dark Knight, not a bright red tomato. The love story was the worst because it was purely there just for the sake of having it. It did nothing for the overall story or character development at all. All of the fighting sequences were just as goofy with overzealous wire-work and punching sounds. In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot. Considering that the movie was centralized in WWII, why did it not look like Band of Brothers? Why not emulate the best?

The general plot line of having it set in WWII and having the Red Skull as the villain, I thought was great. Even the cast I thought did a good job. The acting was good, in my opinion. I just did not like the way the movie was executed more on a technical standpoint than anything else as the actors and the plot were good, in my opinion.

Why don't you just watch more Band of Brothers if that's what you like?

I'd prefer if the movie had been produced in that style and ambiance. There is a reason why that series is probably the best WWII cinematic production ever released. As I stressed before, if they decided to take the WWII route, they should have followed in the footsteps of the memorable productions.

To me the Captain America movie was closer to Benny Hill than it was to any sort of respectable WWII centered film. Yeah, Benny Hill was memorable, but not for the reasons that I want Captain America to be remembered for which was "goofball".

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

Could you go into more detail? You're the third person (out of about 20) that I've talked to who didn't like it, but wouldn't give me a reason why. I'm not even being a jerk about it, I really just want to know why.

The movie was great. Def better the Green Lantern. It had more heart, and Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was also great, as was Hugo Weaving. The Howling Commandos looked like their comic book counterparts, and the plot was easy to follow, without too many snags.

Everything seemed generic. Red Skull and Hydra looked goofy. What was with the generic Hydra laser guns? Red Skull should have looked like Two-Face from the Dark Knight, not a bright red tomato. The love story was the worst because it was purely there just for the sake of having it. It did nothing for the overall story or character development at all. All of the fighting sequences were just as goofy with overzealous wire-work and punching sounds. In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot. Considering that the movie was centralized in WWII, why did it not look like Band of Brothers? Why not emulate the best?

The general plot line of having it set in WWII and having the Red Skull as the villain, I thought was great. Even the cast I thought did a good job. The acting was good, in my opinion. I just did not like the way the movie was executed more on a technical standpoint than anything else as the actors and the plot were good, in my opinion.

Why don't you just watch more Band of Brothers if that's what you like?

I'd prefer if the movie had been produced in that style and ambiance. There is a reason why that series is probably the best WWII cinematic production ever released. As I stressed before, if they decided to take the WWII route, they should have followed in the footsteps of the memorable productions.

To me the Captain America movie was closer to Benny Hill than it was to any sort of respectable WWII centered film. Yeah, Benny Hill was memorable, but not for the reasons that I want Captain America to be remembered for which was "goofball".

So you wanted the Captain America movie to be a more serious WWII production like Band of Brothers?

Which Cap comics did you read as a kid?

But you know it's a comic book right?

The Red Skull has always looked like something from Shoney's salad bar.

A comic book is just a print medium. It doesn't mean anything.

There have been movies based on comic books that escaped the clutches of puerile sillyness.

Two-Face has his look in the comic books, and on the second try to bring him to the big screen they were able to make it look realistic. Red Skull is supposed to be grotesque and FRIGHTENING at first sight. Red Skull in this movie looked like it was a guy from SDCC with a sweet Red Skull mask. It was more of, "Hey man, nice costume" than it was, "Holy *spoon*!".

But you know it's a comic book right?

The Red Skull has always looked like something from Shoney's salad bar.

A comic book is just a print medium. It doesn't mean anything.

There have been movies based on comic books that escaped the clutches of puerile sillyness.

Two-Face has his look in the comic books, and on the second try to bring him to the big screen they were able to make it look realistic. Red Skull is supposed to be grotesque and FRIGHTENING at first sight. Red Skull in this movie looked like it was a guy from SDCC with a sweet Red Skull mask. It was more of, "Hey man, nice costume" than it was, "Holy *spoon*!".

I understand, bro. But it was a movie for children. Just like a good comic book should be. At least a good Marvel super-hero comic.

Just got back from seeing the movie. Pure camp. From the cheesy lines to the cheesy CGI and movie sets. Really good acting all around. Chris Evans did a better job than I thought he would do. There wasn't anything new or a memorable scene Iron Man, Spidey or X-men movies. It was so-so for me. Typical "stop the big guns/bombs from destroying the world" plot. I give it a 6/10.

Since I do not post very often my post and what I say in my post carry more weight.

So KOR is toast because of my post.

:roflmao:

And you've got a Cap #1. I don't.

benny-hill.jpg

I'm sorry you didn't like the movie pal but I think these movies should be fun, not mature. Or fun first, mature second.

They are a fantasy & fairytale.

It's the old, Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Frank Miller, Alan Moore killed the comic book industry thing.

You know, The Punisher really did kill the Marvel Universe & all that.

I maintain that comics are for kids -- or should be for kids (at least Marvel & DC super-hero books). In other words, I really don't care for Spawn.

Band of Brothers might be great but it isn't for kids.

if loving the movie unreservedly is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

Cap's rescue of Bucky (how Bucky was when Cap found him) was a sweet nod to every GA cover.

I've seen it 3 times now. Gets better upon repeated viewings, IMO. None of these new wave of Marvel movies have pretended to be films-- and that's the problem a lot of people seem to be having with them.

Call it Dark Knight Syndrome. Nolan made a film, not a movie. TDK is highly entertaining, but it's also high art. If you take all of the superhero stuff out of TDK, it's still a brilliant film. Nolan succeeded in making the Godfather Part II of our generation.

Iron Man, Thor, Incred. Hulk, Iron Man 2, Cap-- they're all movies. They are sometimes cheesy, sometimes serious, but always buckets of popcorn fun. I personally believe Captain America is the 2nd best of this latest Marvel Studios run. Sure, I have some geeky nitpickings and a few overall gripes, but they got way more right than wrong.

Presenting Captain America as if it were Band of Brothers would have been just plain tonally wrong. It's just not the right tone to fit with Iron Man, Thor, etc. These films are supposed to connect. Johnston (who worked on Raiders) based the tone of this film on Raiders of Lost Ark, and IMO that was the right choice-- because it shows.

4/5 stars

if loving the movie unreservedly is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

Cap's rescue of Bucky (how Bucky was when Cap found him) was a sweet nod to every GA cover.

Yeah, you're right! I didn't pick up on that until now.

I've seen it 3 times now. Gets better upon repeated viewings, IMO. None of these new wave of Marvel movies have pretended to be films-- and that's the problem a lot of people seem to be having with them.

Call it Dark Knight Syndrome. Nolan made a film, not a movie. TDK is highly entertaining, but it's also high art. If you take all of the superhero stuff out of TDK, it's still a brilliant film. Nolan succeeded in making the Godfather Part II of our generation.

Iron Man, Thor, Incred. Hulk, Iron Man 2, Cap-- they're all movies. They are sometimes cheesy, sometimes serious, but always buckets of popcorn fun. I personally believe Captain America is the 2nd best of this latest Marvel Studios run. Sure, I have some geeky nitpickings and a few overall gripes, but they got way more right than wrong.

Presenting Captain America as if it were Band of Brothers would have been just plain tonally wrong. It's just not the right tone to fit with Iron Man, Thor, etc. These films are supposed to connect. Johnston (who worked on Raiders) based the tone of this film on Raiders of Lost Ark, and IMO that was the right choice-- because it shows.

4/5 stars

3 times :o , no wonder I couldn't get in :censored: